- No reference to Palpatine somehow returning. Instead, the group listens to the transmission Palpatine sent, which Poe and Finn just retrieved.
- The arbitrary sixteen hour ticking timer is removed.
- The image of the ships C-3PO shows is lower quality, to make it more believable that it was cautiously recorded and smuggled out.
- The novel repeatedly mentions Rose in the big print instead of showing her, in an attempt to give her more presence than the film does, but I find this simply highlights her absence. To be less jarring, I’ve removed these references, and given many of the “bit player” roles in the Resistance to Rose instead.
- Implied the Wayfinder is more of a one-of-a-kind item, instead of something the Sith used to make a bunch of for different things.
- Tweaked Leia’s reasoning for not wanting Rey to leave to find the Emperor, by making her afraid she’ll lose Rey the way she lost Ben.
- Removed soft retcons that hand-waved away nobody helping the Resistance at Crait. It’s a cop-out, and lessens the power of Luke’s sacrifice to rally the galaxy to their cause.
- Changed Rey referring to the Falcon as “her ship” to “Han’s ship.” Rey claiming ownership like that feels out of character, especially considering the dynamic of their relationship in TFA.
- Removed parts where Luke’s Force Ghost repeatedly tries to contact Leia. It just raises too many questions about why Luke wouldn’t also be contacting Rey, who is desperate to speak to him, and Rey and Leia’s respective Force abilities.