Sign In

Post #1369519

Author
TheHutt
Parent topic
Back To The Future - Preserving the German Version (Released)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/1369519/action/topic#1369519
Date created
17-Aug-2020, 6:22 AM
Last modified
8-Nov-2020, 5:56 AM
Edited by
TheHutt
Reason for edit
None provided

PART ONE: TITLE

First of all, there was the matter of a source. None of which looked too great on Part 1. One has to say, the logo seems to have been customly done by the German distributors, and while it did contain all the original elements of animation, the animation looks rather simpler than the original one.

The LD source looked like this:

img

Additionally, I had a recording from TV which looked a bit worse.

img

But this looks even worse, so I stuck with the LD version.

For the upscaling, there was a matter of which process to use. I had some of my AviSynth scripts which were used for Stephen King’s IT project, and the result did look okay.

img

However, I got a hint that one can achieve quite interesting upscaling results via AI. So I gave it a try.

img

This way looked quite like an improvement. However, the results looked a tad synthetic to my taste. So what I ended up doing, was:

  • Upscaling with AI to 4K resolution
  • Adding a slight layer of grain, then downscaling and cropping to FullHD via AVS.

I was quite happy with the results of this workflow, so I stuck with it.

img

All intermediates were rendered as lossless AVI.