Well, the stinger script went out to my friend in April, I got the recording back last month, and the raw video for the stinger is now assembled — that is, the fake news broadcast to render onto the TV screen. To give you some idea of what’s gone into this, on top of the newly recorded video of my friend performing the skit, I’m using:
- CBC News jingle, animation and logo bug
- A “virtual newsroom” animation
- A matching “backdrop” animation for still images
- A still from the movie, one from a deleted scene and a publicity still to illustrate the beginning of the story
- Stock footage of a Toronto Police operation from CBC (seen in the preview render above)
- A few brief shots of the Matthew Patel fight from the film
- A publicity still of Satya Bhabha
- A publicity interview with Chris Evans
- A shot of Brandon Routh from the “Black Sheep” music video
- A publicity still of the Saito twins
- Screen test footage of Mae Whitman
- Screen test footage of Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead in character looking awkward
- Stock footage (stolen from YouTube) of Canadian coins
On top of green-screening the actress into the “virtual newsroom”, just about every other shot ended up having VFX applied: the shots of the Patel fight were treated with JPEG damage to look like dodgy cam footage; the shot of Scott and Ramona graded to suggest a mugshot and to change Ramona’s hair colour; the shots of the Evil Exes desaturated and slo-mo’d out of “respect for the dead”; the lower third graphic seen in the preview above created; and the whole thing treated with CRT scan lines and colours slightly out of phase.
All going well, I should have the movie ready for submission to the Fanedit Academy later this month, and I’ll report back as soon as I have a release date!