My personal (and probably controversial) ranking list:
- Star Wars: Just an overall fun adventure that works great on its own.
- The Empire Strikes Back: Great most of the time, but has some clunky dialogue and plot holes.
- Revenge of the Sith: Even more clunky dialogue, but when it’s good, it’s great.
- Return of the Jedi: Has some great moments, but mostly just tries to be kid-friendly.
- Rogue One: Not the plot I expected, but it takes the franchise in a great new direction.
- The Force Awakens: Tries to be a fun movie like Star Wars, but filled with cliches and plot holes.
- The Last Jedi: Ruins everything good about TFA with massive plot holes and “subverting expectations.”
- Solo: Tries to explain too many things at once, and ends up failing miserably.
- Attack of the Clones: One of the most boring Star Wars movies, and the plot is terrible.
- The Phantom Menace: Somehow manages to be both kid-friendly and dull.
- The Holiday Special: Why. Just why.
Why is this controversial?
Because I ranked ROTS so highly. I like it much more than most people here, who hate all 3 prequels equally. Also, I like SW better than ESB. Most fans treat ESB like superhero fans treat The Dark Knight.