Lately I’ve tinkered with few “de-tealized” projects, and learned some new techniques; so, I’ve decided to give Interstellar a go…
The “inspired by 70mm” is a color grading made in Avisynth - no LUTs or color matching; I could make it even closer to 70mm, but in that case there would be white clipping, so I’ve chosen the best compromise, and it works well, it seems:
take a look at the comparison for the whole movie:
I’ve also compared it to the camrip - that is faaar to be considered a color reference; indeed, “as is”, it’s different (a lot) from BD and regrade; when adjusted (saturation lowered, magenta blanket removed, levels tweaked), it resemble sometimes the BD, sometimes the regrade, sometimes neither… and it happens also for subsequent shots - I suspect the autowhite and/or autogain are involved. But the fact that often is closer to the regrade than the BD, and that some members remembers (pun intended!) the colors in the theater to be closer to the 70mm scan may means it “could” be “right” - somehow…
I’m perfectly aware that it almost never happen that a single regrade setting works for a whole movie, but in this case it seems to work; still to watch it all, but I’ve tested few shots, and they look good; preparing a low def version and I’ll watch it in the next few hours, then I’ll write my conclusions.
This is really cool. I would love to see more of your “de-tealized” workflow I guess you could call it. It does resemble my 70mm cell A LOT, though seeing it’s application to the whole film does make lots of scenes look unnatural. Scene by scene is obviously ideal, and if you can nail down a workflow we can work together and get this thing done pretty soon. I have a collection of around 20 film cells I downloaded all over the internet that ranges throughout the film. They would be okay references.
Seeing as how Dunkirk just came out (Saw it on 35mm planning for 70mm) this would be a good project to continue working on.