Sign In

Sir Ridley

User Group
Trusted Members
Join date
10-Jan-2017
Last activity
19-Feb-2018
Posts
308

Post History

Post
#1172017
Topic
STAR WARS: EP VI -RETURN OF THE JEDI &quot;REVISITED EDITION&quot;<strong>ADYWAN</strong> - <strong>NOW IN PRODUCTION</strong>
Time

exitzero said:

I’ve been on the hunt hoping to find a shot of James Earl Jones saying the words “Your Mother”. So far no luck, but he does say “Mother of God” clearly in The Hunt for Red October. I don’t know crap about audio editing, but Vader says “You’re feelings have now betrayed her too”. Wonder if those words can be strung together to make the line “You’re Mother once thought as you do,” without it sounding like the Joshua war computer form War Games.

Perhaps you could use “don’t choke on your aspirations”.

Post
#1171986
Topic
Politics 2: Electric Boogaloo
Time

CatBus said:

Sir Ridley said:

CatBus said:

Sir Ridley said:

DominicCobb said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

Possessed said:

TV’s Frink said:

None of it means anything in relation to the current topic.

I don’t know, my name is Jacob and I do in fact use ladders from time to time.

Ok but I need to know if you’re a Rush fan, a Huey Lewis fan, or an Adrian Lyne fan.

That’s like Sophie’s choice, man. Harsh. Sometimes bad is bad.

These are 1/3 of fighting words.

Oh, so I’m walking on a thin line, am I?

WRONG 1/3

If this is it, please let me know.

The men who hold high places must be the ones to start.

You crack me up.

Be cool or be cast out.

I said cool is the rule.

I was at this obligatory social event with a friend once. We didn’t really want to be there, so we entertained ourselves by inventing a game. While we were having conversations, every time one of us named a band from the 80’s, we’d get a point, but only if nobody else noticed what we’d done – i.e. if it worked relatively well in the conversation and nobody said, “Hey, wasn’t that a band from the eighties?” There were lots of easy ones – the Police, for example. I was particularly proud of working the Dead Milkmen into normal conversation without anyone noticing.

Not sure what made me think of that. And no, I’m not suggesting it. Yet.

Aha ha ha ha. That sounds fun.

I don’t think anyone noticed, you won! 😉

D’oh! Nobody noticed until you did! Now the only way he can earn the point is if you’re also playing.

The trick is that this was initially conceived as a verbal, in-person game, and rules may need to be adjusted for text. So instead of making a reference and raising an eyebrow at the other player, maybe you’d use a winking smiley or something. The other problem is that many of the references might only be visible if you say the words out loud, as the reference may cross all sorts of lexical boundaries in text form but be pretty straightforward when spoken. This would be especially visible as your references drift further away from vanilla. I see we’re off to a pretty good start though 😉

I’m in on the rules, so technically maybe I’m playing even though I haven’t made a reference yet. So let him have the point! Somebody has to notice or nobody would get a point.

Well, the other variation on the print form is everyone could have read those rules and known about them. Points are mostly self-awarded, I can’t see how you could say “Hey, I made a reference! Did anyone catch it?” aside from the winky smiley example above, and that’s probably still too obvious, even if the reference itself is pretty well-hidden.

Yes, it doesn’t really work that well here, so let’s not rush into anything and start referencing in excess. The clash between references and serious politics could be poison to this thread, leaving the game out of this should be the cure, I think you too see this.

I just wanted to point out Cobb’s reference which was cool. And the gang completely missed it, so I had to, to not let it go unnoticed.

It was a nice journey while it lasted, a cheap trick for simple minds and children at heart, but now its time for some new order in this thread before the police gets here. Let’s get this motley crew back to talking about guns. And roses will be awarded to the winner of the game from this foreigner, but let’s make sure the talking heads in the right direction now.

This post has been edited.

Post
#1171945
Topic
Politics 2: Electric Boogaloo
Time

Changing gun laws won’t change gun culture but if laws makes it more difficult to get/own guns it would make it more difficult to commit gun crimes and there could be fewer deaths.

I don’t believe the whole “everyone needs guns for protection against other guns” idea and “solving” problems by having more guns.

I believe not everyone should have the right to a own a gun, they should be hard to get and especially deadly guns should be illegal or at least even harder to get.

But I’m not American, so…

Post
#1171921
Topic
Politics 2: Electric Boogaloo
Time

CatBus said:

Sir Ridley said:

DominicCobb said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

Possessed said:

TV’s Frink said:

None of it means anything in relation to the current topic.

I don’t know, my name is Jacob and I do in fact use ladders from time to time.

Ok but I need to know if you’re a Rush fan, a Huey Lewis fan, or an Adrian Lyne fan.

That’s like Sophie’s choice, man. Harsh. Sometimes bad is bad.

These are 1/3 of fighting words.

Oh, so I’m walking on a thin line, am I?

WRONG 1/3

If this is it, please let me know.

The men who hold high places must be the ones to start.

You crack me up.

Be cool or be cast out.

I said cool is the rule.

I was at this obligatory social event with a friend once. We didn’t really want to be there, so we entertained ourselves by inventing a game. While we were having conversations, every time one of us named a band from the 80’s, we’d get a point, but only if nobody else noticed what we’d done – i.e. if it worked relatively well in the conversation and nobody said, “Hey, wasn’t that a band from the eighties?” There were lots of easy ones – the Police, for example. I was particularly proud of working the Dead Milkmen into normal conversation without anyone noticing.

Not sure what made me think of that. And no, I’m not suggesting it. Yet.

Aha ha ha ha. That sounds fun.

I don’t think anyone noticed, you won! 😉

D’oh! Nobody noticed until you did! Now the only way he can earn the point is if you’re also playing.

The trick is that this was initially conceived as a verbal, in-person game, and rules may need to be adjusted for text. So instead of making a reference and raising an eyebrow at the other player, maybe you’d use a winking smiley or something. The other problem is that many of the references might only be visible if you say the words out loud, as the reference may cross all sorts of lexical boundaries in text form but be pretty straightforward when spoken. This would be especially visible as your references drift further away from vanilla. I see we’re off to a pretty good start though 😉

I’m in on the rules, so technically maybe I’m playing even though I haven’t made a reference yet. So let him have the point! Somebody has to notice or nobody would get a point.

Let’s just say this is part of the Electric Boogaloo because I don’t have anything to add about politics at this point.

I’ll say Cobb has a point or two (or three), though, not just from 80s references.

This post has been edited.

Post
#1171861
Topic
General Star Wars Random Thoughts Thread
Time

Here’s a nice essay about stories of good vs evil. It makes a few points about Star Wars.

https://aeon.co/essays/why-is-pop-culture-obsessed-with-battles-between-good-and-evil

I wonder if the big good vs evil theme in Star Wars has an effect on the fan base and how we deal with opposing viewpoints. I guess the whole “you don’t agree with me so you are on the other team”-mentality is widespread in today’s society with or without Star Wars, though.

Post
#1171814
Topic
Politics 2: Electric Boogaloo
Time

DominicCobb said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

CatBus said:

TV’s Frink said:

Possessed said:

TV’s Frink said:

None of it means anything in relation to the current topic.

I don’t know, my name is Jacob and I do in fact use ladders from time to time.

Ok but I need to know if you’re a Rush fan, a Huey Lewis fan, or an Adrian Lyne fan.

That’s like Sophie’s choice, man. Harsh. Sometimes bad is bad.

These are 1/3 of fighting words.

Oh, so I’m walking on a thin line, am I?

WRONG 1/3

If this is it, please let me know.

The men who hold high places must be the ones to start.

You crack me up.

Be cool or be cast out.

I said cool is the rule.

I was at this obligatory social event with a friend once. We didn’t really want to be there, so we entertained ourselves by inventing a game. While we were having conversations, every time one of us named a band from the 80’s, we’d get a point, but only if nobody else noticed what we’d done – i.e. if it worked relatively well in the conversation and nobody said, “Hey, wasn’t that a band from the eighties?” There were lots of easy ones – the Police, for example. I was particularly proud of working the Dead Milkmen into normal conversation without anyone noticing.

Not sure what made me think of that. And no, I’m not suggesting it. Yet.

Aha ha ha ha. That sounds fun.

I don’t think anyone noticed, you won! 😉

Post
#1171638
Topic
What Have You Been Eating?
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

How about a stir fried fruit diet?

That could theoretically be nice. I had to google “fruit only diet”. Apparently Steve Jobs was a “fruitarian”, and apparently Ashton Kutcher tried this diet while preparing to portray Jobs and ended up in the hospital. So it might not be for everyone.

Post
#1171617
Topic
What Have You Been Eating?
Time

Possessed said:

Sir Ridley said:

Possessed said:

I’ve never had waffles.

They’re a bit like crunchy pancakes or french toast. If you don’t like sweets I can see why you haven’t tried, but maybe you could enjoy one without sweet toppings.

I’ve also never had French toast.

Well then, as the title goes: What Have You Been Eating? 😉

Post
#1171502
Topic
Brass Thread
Time

Favorite brass instrument: french horn and trombone

Favorite brass band: Nisse Landgren, Mnozil Brass

Favorite brass plumbing fixture:

Post
#1171498
Topic
What Have You Been Eating?
Time

Possessed said:

I’ve never had waffles.

They’re a bit like crunchy pancakes or french toast. If you don’t like sweets I can see why you haven’t tried, but maybe you could enjoy one without sweet toppings.

Post
#1171488
Topic
Star Wars Episode I: Cloak Of Deception (Finished!)
Time

Dr. Krogshöj said:

stickydixon said:

I second LordPlagueis’ recommendation of removing the “battle hardened” droids line. How does more combat help a droid? I don’t think they gain experience.

Well, in real life, machine learning has actually been quite big deal recently in AI development.

In Star Wars droids learn too, of course. If I’m not mistaken the battle droids in Episode I didn’t have individual minds but were controlled by a Central Control Computer and thus they were all equally experienced. It’s possible that the “main AI” was “battle hardened” through the experience of each droid.

Post
#1171483
Topic
What Have You Been Eating?
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

Sir Ridley said:

Possessed said:

I haven’t had pancakes since I was a little kid.

They’re worth another try. My favorite kind are thin (Swedish) pancakes that you roll up with blueberries and a sprinkle of sugar inside. Grandma used to make them.

Possessed has quite the anti-sweet tooth, just so you know.

I see. Well, since pancakes are neutral in flavor you can have salty toppings too. Like Swedish shrimp salad, to continue the Swedish theme. But that works even better on crispy waffles or toast.

Post
#1171356
Topic
What Have You Been Eating?
Time

Possessed said:

I haven’t had pancakes since I was a little kid.

They’re worth another try. My favorite kind are thin (Swedish) pancakes that you roll up with blueberries and a sprinkle of sugar inside. Grandma used to make them.

Post
#1171325
Topic
What Have You Been Eating?
Time

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

Sir Ridley said:

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

Swedish pancakes, no less!

Swedish pancakes are the best pancakes.

Wrong. But I should stop lest I push someone’s buttons. Pancakes have been a contentious topic in this thread:

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

What’d you know. I had chocolate chip pancakes with syrup for breakfast (OK, technically probably lunch) today. Very sweet, and very tasty.

TV’s Frink said:

CHEWBAKAspelledwrong said:

What’d you know. I had chocolate chip pancakes with syrup for breakfast (OK, technically probably dessert) today.

FTFY

Please push my buttons, I’d like to know which pancakes are the best.

Post
#1170973
Topic
Random Thoughts
Time

DominicCobb said:

suspiciouscoffee said:

DominicCobb said:

suspiciouscoffee said:

There’s a Criterion collection flash sale on now and I don’t know what to buy. My twitter poll leans toward Barry Lyndon at the moment, but I’m not sure when I’ll have time to watch it if I get it so maybe I should get a shorter film.

Depends, have you seen those films yet?

Nope.

They’re all great. Seventh Seal is the best. Rashomon is probably the most essential and rewatchable. Barry Lyndon is absolutely terrific too.

As a Swede and a movie fan I’m a bit ashamed that I haven’t watched Seventh Seal yet.

Post
#1170779
Topic
Last movie seen
Time

DominicCobb said:

I liked it better than the original… *shrug*
Also I thought the acting/production values elevated it above other average Netflix sci-fi fare… *shrug*

I guess I will remain in my corner as the movie’s only fan.

I would likely enjoy this new one more than the original, if only because that one gave me bad motion sickness. The acting was fine and I liked the realism, but otherwise it wasn’t very interesting. *shrug*

Post
#1170532
Topic
The Place to Go for Emotional Support
Time

LuckyGungan2001 said:

suspiciouscoffee said:

We attend a church that preaches anything outside of heterosexual monogamy is “in contempt against the will of God,” and they’re both in agreement.

I’ve never understood that. What does god have against same-sex couples?

Since being gay is not a choice, but who you are, it’s not really something anyone can blame you for. Least of all God, if he made you.

It’s not something that anyone should blame anyone else for even if they could, either. You love who you love, and love is a great thing.

To the top