Sign In

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - uncensored HDTV airing(s)

Replies
325
Author
Time

There's a French HDTV encode that is easy to find on Usenet. No need to settle for old LaserDisc captures for this one!

Someone just needs to synch up the English audio track.

I wonder if any other overseas HD outlets are airing the uncensored version? Movie-Censorship's source is a SuperRTL airing from 2010, but it's the fullscreen SD version (probably still better than LD though, I expect).

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=545028 (one problem with this source: they think Jessica Rabbit isn't wearing undies when she flies out of the car even though she is)

Screenshots:

http://imgbox.com/g/Nmwt14Bf4B

http://i.imgbox.com/adht7fA8.png
http://i.imgbox.com/adqx7e7k.png
http://i.imgbox.com/abmK7NLk.png
http://i.imgbox.com/abbyVOiW.png
http://i.imgbox.com/abk6DVjl.png

This post has been edited.

Author
Time

For an HD source the picture is pretty awful.

Still an audio sync and just a replacement of the 3-4 changes would make this a good preservation.  Of course then the whole thing would have to be full frame.

I suppose you could color match and extend the frame if you were talented.

This post has been edited.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Some "naughty" sight gags were digitally altered for the DVD release. It's nothing that could be easily seen unless you look frame by frame, but you know Disney. ;)

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

stretch009 said:

 

Is the bluray going to be censored or something? 

If I had to guess, I would say yes.  The Blu-ray will only contain the "changed' version of the film, where "changed" contains various edits over the years.

Author
Time

Are you sure that French source is the unaltered version? The film was also altered on its original DVD release, but not the same way as on the 2-disc. Anybody got the original single-disc DVD for comparison?

When Baby Herman goes under the woman's skirt, you need to specifically look for him extending his middle finger. If that's not there, it's censored.

As for Jessica, the problem is that the lines delineating her underwear didn't really show up in the old video transfers, so it looked like she wasn't wearing any.

This post has been edited.

Author
Time

I posted a screenshot showing his extended middle finger... on the DVD the finger is painted out altogether, according to the Movie-Censorship shots.

Author
Time

Is there a way to get an unaltered version of the film and the shorts ? For the shorts, what was altered ? Can somebody post some pics to compare ?

Thanks to answer

Author
Time

Is Betty Boop's nipple slip in the French HDTV version?

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Wow, I had no idea that scene was real. I knew about the other two, but I thought Betty Boop's nipples were just an urban legend. Apparently I was wrong.

Does the "For a good time, call Allison Wonderland" graffiti in the Toontown bathroom have that alleged one-frame subliminal phone number? Supposedly, it was Michael Eisner's phone number, but even if it wasn't, I'm assuming it was removed because it was a real number (like the 1-800-SPANK-ME dialogue that has been expunged from The Santa Clause since the late 90s).

This post has been edited.

Author
Time

Is this version posted as "Qui veut la peau de Roger Rabbit"?

Dr. M

Author
Time

Doctor M said:

Is this version posted as "Qui veut la peau de Roger Rabbit"?

Yes, it's an mkv though, don't know if there's a transport stream somewhere.

stretch009 said:

It's being released on bluray for the first time ever, in two weeks:

Ah, I thought it was out already for some reason.

 

This post has been edited.

The Monkey King - Uproar In heaven (1965) Restoration/Preservation Project

Nezha Conquers the Dragon King (1979) BBC 1.66:1 & Theatrical 2.35:1 preservations

Author
Time

TServo2049 said:

Wow, I had no idea that scene was real. I knew about the other two, but I thought Betty Boop's nipples were just an urban legend. Apparently I was wrong.

Does the "For a good time, call Allison Wonderland" graffiti in the Toontown bathroom have that alleged one-frame subliminal phone number? Supposedly, it was Michael Eisner's phone number, but even if it wasn't, I'm assuming it was removed because it was a real number (like the 1-800-SPANK-ME dialogue that has been expunged from The Santa Clause since the late 90s).

Who exactly is the source of this rumor, a projectionist? An insider? No one else would be able to read a "one-frame" phone number.

Author
Time

@drngr - Sometimes the animators brag about the stuff they sneak in.

I'll definitely take a look into building an English DVD from this though.  The quality seems more like an upscaling so I don't see a reason to go nuts with it.

I was leaning towards converting it to widescreen and mixing with the DVD, but if there's a single frame I don't know about, we'd miss out.

Things seem unclear what the full slate of changes are (besides the 2 or 3 we know of), it might make sense to leave the video largely untouched (just fixing opening and closing titles/credits).

 

Dr. M

Author
Time

drngr said:

TServo2049 said:

Wow, I had no idea that scene was real. I knew about the other two, but I thought Betty Boop's nipples were just an urban legend. Apparently I was wrong.

Does the "For a good time, call Allison Wonderland" graffiti in the Toontown bathroom have that alleged one-frame subliminal phone number? Supposedly, it was Michael Eisner's phone number, but even if it wasn't, I'm assuming it was removed because it was a real number (like the 1-800-SPANK-ME dialogue that has been expunged from The Santa Clause since the late 90s).

Who exactly is the source of this rumor, a projectionist? An insider? No one else would be able to read a "one-frame" phone number.

I definitely could see the name on the wall on the CAV Laserdisc, but the number wasn't legible on my old analog tv. All of these gags were not discovered until the early 90's, at least that's when it made the news. It actually caused the CAV to sell out years after it was released.

Disney was so paranoid by the late 90's, they recalled the LD of Roger Rabbit shorts for one barely noticeable sight gag. (With dubious claims the discs had glue problems.) Copies still got out of course, and mine is pristine. ;)

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I've found several other HDTV releases around the net.  Has anyone checked them for edits?

I've now found:

Qui veut la peau de Roger Rabbit (the one we're talking about).  1080p that fits on a DVD5 (eek). Full frame.

NeoLight 1080i - MKV still @ 25fps.  DVD9 sized.  (Widescreen)

DON 720p - Converted from NeoLight release and synced to DTS DVD track @ 23.976.  DVD5 sized. (Widescreen)

Saw something about a DiC release but never found it.  No particulars except the quality and light levels are worse.

Also a couple of Russian HDTV 1080i torrents are around too but don't ask me to figure out what's on them.

Edit: Oh, and a 720p from HDBRiSe  (Censored.  Thanks Moth3r.)

 

@SilverWook - what was in the short (and which short)?

This post has been edited.

Dr. M

Author
Time

I can confirm she does have her tits out in the hdtv rip..

Is this in the LD "uncensored" version ?

 

Author
Time

Doctor M said:

I've found several other HDTV releases around the net.  Has anyone checked them for edits?

I've now found:

Qui veut la peau de Roger Rabbit (the one we're talking about).  1080p that fits on a DVD5 (eek). Full frame.

NeoLight 1080i - MKV still @ 25fps.  DVD9 sized.  (Widescreen)

DON 720p - Converted from NeoLight release and synced to DTS DVD track @ 23.976.  DVD5 sized. (Widescreen)

Saw something about a DiC release but never found it.  No particulars except the quality and light levels are worse.

Also a couple of Russian HDTV 1080i torrents are around too but don't ask me to figure out what's on them.

Edit: Oh, and a 720p from HDBRiSe

 

@SilverWook - what was in the short (and which short)?

HDBRiSe is censored.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Doctor M said:

I've found several other HDTV releases around the net.  Has anyone checked them for edits?

I've now found:

Qui veut la peau de Roger Rabbit (the one we're talking about).  1080p that fits on a DVD5 (eek). Full frame.

16:9 with 1.85:1 letterbox.

Author
Time

Hi, does the original german hdtv rip still censor Betty's "nipples flashing" ?

To the top