Sign In

These versions on EBay claim to be wide screen theatrical releases? Is it legit or not?

Replies
15
Author
Time

If you look at the disc art, they all say ‘bonus disc.’ So those are the 2006 non-anamporphic limited edition discs. So they are ‘widescreen’ in that they present the film in its original aspect ratio, but they will show black bars on all four sides on a widescreen TV as they were masted at low-res for 4:3 tubes.

These are based on the Laserdisc masters from the early 90s and are extremely low quality compared to what’s available for the SE on Blu-Ray and even compared to the SE DVD releases.

However, these are also the best quality officially available releases.

This post has been edited.

Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here; this is the war room!

Author
Time

They’re also not worth nearly what they’re asking for them. You shouldn’t have to pay more than $20-30 a piece.

Author
Time

I payed $47 for my copy of TESB.

*d’oh*

My screenplay index.

“I believe in copyright, within limited precincts. But I also believe in fair use, public domain, and especially transformation.” — David Shields

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

They’re also not worth nearly what they’re asking for them.

Agreed. I paid the equivalent of $2 USD for the ROTJ and TESB GOUT discs (from what would be called in the US, a thrift store) and even that was grudgingly because I’ve been happy with my CBS-FOX W/S LD’s.

Recent captures…

*The Hunger Games HDTV 1080p (UK theatrical alternate version: not on Blu-ray)

Author
Time

I don’t understand the US’ overinflation of these discs and why people pay those prices.
You can get them in my country and the UK for a couple of dollars each if you take three seconds to search for yourself; eBay may be simpler, but sometimes it just isn’t worth it.

Author
Time

Ryan-SWI said:

I don’t understand the US’ overinflation of these discs and why people pay those prices.
You can get them in my country and the UK for a couple of dollars each if you take three seconds to search for yourself; eBay may be simpler, but sometimes it just isn’t worth it.

It’s just an Ebay thing. If you find them individually or in a used DVD store, you can usually find them for less than $20 a piece.

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

Ryan-SWI said:

I don’t understand the US’ overinflation of these discs and why people pay those prices.
You can get them in my country and the UK for a couple of dollars each if you take three seconds to search for yourself; eBay may be simpler, but sometimes it just isn’t worth it.

It’s just an Ebay thing.

No, it’s also an Amazon thing.

My screenplay index.

“I believe in copyright, within limited precincts. But I also believe in fair use, public domain, and especially transformation.” — David Shields

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

Wazzles said:

Ryan-SWI said:

I don’t understand the US’ overinflation of these discs and why people pay those prices.
You can get them in my country and the UK for a couple of dollars each if you take three seconds to search for yourself; eBay may be simpler, but sometimes it just isn’t worth it.

It’s just an Ebay thing.

No, it’s also an Amazon thing.

You can usually find a better price for them on Amazon.

Author
Time

I got my GOUT for $100

This post has been edited.

I can answer all questions anyone might have about the site, and please do PM me for any additional questions.
Auntie Derry/Rumpelstiltskin.

Do not go gentle into that good night
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
The grey and dark sides of the force are my allies.
Pink 🐘🐘s are on parade.

To the top