The movie “Stephen King’s It” (1990) originally premiered as a two-part TV mini-series. However, for quite some time, it was only available in the form of one long movie (at least since the DVD).
The difference is that some footage has been cut out from the end of Part 1 and the beginning of Part 2 - most notably, where there are on-screen credits. Basically, in Part 1, the final shot of bloody “IT” written on the wall and the end credits are removed. In Part 2, the entire intro and opening scenes have been removed. Additionally, the BluRay had the end credits redone in a different style.
The currently known cut versions:
- German VHS (4:3)
- UK VHS (4:3)
- Worldwide DVD (cropped to 16:9)
- Worldwide BluRay (4:3)
The available uncut versions:
- US VHS (4:3)
- US Laserdisc (4:3) (Amazon link)
- A UK TV airing.
- The picture was taken from the BluRay. It has been remastered in great quality and offers the original 4:3 aspect ratio.
- Footage from the uncut NTSC LaserDisc has been provided by RidgeShark. This footage needed to be upscaled and regraded, as the colors and contrast of the LD were rather murky.
- An entire digital PAL SDTV recording in 544x576i was provided by JayArgonaut. It has better color and contrast but was suffering from an intrusive TV logo and bad compression.
What has been done:
- Upscaled the LD footage shot by shot and regraded them with the ColorMatch tool.
- Recreated the intro credits for Part 2 by merging the BluRay footage with LD footage.
- The end credits for Part 2 were only available in the SDTV source, however, they had voices and a squeeze effect applied to a part of them. Missing credit titles were recreated by using LD footage from Part 1 and re-animated.
- Audio editing to reconstruct the full version and the (shorter) end credits for Part 2. Reencoding in DTS-HDMA 2.0.
- Reconstruction of the Lorimar logo. 😃
- Resync of English subtitles for the new runtime and added dialogs. Subtitles are available both as normal and HoH versions.
- Resync of the existing and addition of new chapter marks (based on the original BluRay ones).
Result is a 22.1 GB MKV file.
As always, no download links here.
Unique ID : 175785817997259163523193354472887051179 (0x843F1DF82A53DF149A2FC4AFC45663AB) Complete name : Stephen King's It.mkv Format : Matroska Format version : Version 4 / Version 2 File size : 22.1 GiB Duration : 3 h 11 min Overall bit rate mode : Variable Overall bit rate : 16.5 Mb/s Encoded date : UTC 2017-09-17 06:09:05 Writing application : mkvmerge v8.2.0 ('World of Adventure') 64bit Writing library : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2 Video ID : 1 Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : High@L4 Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames Format settings, CABAC : Yes Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC Duration : 3 h 11 min Bit rate mode : Variable Bit rate : 14.8 Mb/s Maximum bit rate : 30.0 Mb/s Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate mode : Constant Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS Original frame rate : 23.976 (23976/1000) FPS Standard : NTSC Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.298 Stream size : 19.8 GiB (90%) Default : Yes Forced : No Color range : Limited Color primaries : BT.709 Transfer characteristics : BT.709 Matrix coefficients : BT.709 Audio ID : 2 Format : DTS Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems Format profile : MA / Core Mode : 16 Format settings, Endianness : Big Codec ID : A_DTS Duration : 3 h 11 min Bit rate mode : Variable / Constant Bit rate : 1 711 kb/s / 1 509 kb/s Channel(s) : 2 channels Channel positions : / Front: L R Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz Frame rate : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF) Bit depth : 24 bits Compression mode : Lossless / Lossy Stream size : 2.29 GiB (10%) Language : English Default : Yes Forced : No Text #1 ID : 3 Format : UTF-8 Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8 Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text Duration : 3 h 9 min Bit rate : 54 b/s Count of elements : 2201 Stream size : 75.7 KiB (0%) Title : English Language : English Default : Yes Forced : No Text #2 ID : 4 Format : UTF-8 Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8 Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text Duration : 3 h 10 min Bit rate : 59 b/s Count of elements : 2470 Stream size : 82.9 KiB (0%) Title : English for the Hard of Hearing Language : English Default : No Forced : No
This post has been edited.