Sign In

Star Wars: Heir to the Force (TFA edit) Released — Page 5

Author
Time

If they had tried to pull it off as some big reveal a la ESB, I would’ve been rolling my eyes. They still managed to achieve this with Han’s death scene, though.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

If they had tried to pull it off as some big reveal a la ESB, I would’ve been rolling my eyes. They still managed to achieve this with Han’s death scene, though.

Actually, I went into the film already knowing that Harrison Ford wanted Han to have died in the OT given the character’s arc from a selfish scoundrel to a loyal hero was complete; and that he was unhappy with the “teddy bear picnic” in Jedi in lieu of a more bittersweet ending. So I could tell it was coming pretty early on in that scene.

I’m not saying that scene is obvious, I’m just saying it was in no way a shock.

This post has been edited.

Harmy said:
It’s like it’s quite possible that Picasso would have loved to use Photoshop for some of his paintings if it was available back then, but if you take a picture from Picasso and recreate it in Photoshop, it’s not going to be the same picture and it can hardly be used to demonstrate Picasso’s brush techniques.

Author
Time

My question is, when Ren does take his helmet off during the interrogation, why does he lay it down in a pile of ash? And why is there a pedestal with a pile of ash there to begin with?

Harmy said:
It’s like it’s quite possible that Picasso would have loved to use Photoshop for some of his paintings if it was available back then, but if you take a picture from Picasso and recreate it in Photoshop, it’s not going to be the same picture and it can hardly be used to demonstrate Picasso’s brush techniques.

Author
Time

That’s probably where the stormtroopers hide and smoke their death sticks and can’t shoot anything.

^ Needs to pull the stick out.

Author
Time

It was an insert shot that was originally supposed to go in the “Vader prayer” scene. It’s meant to be Vader’s ashes, and they were meant to have been stored in Ren’s quarters along with Vader’s helmet, but then they decided to have Ren keep his helmet on for the “prayer” scene and for some reason Abrams thought the shot fit during the interrogation scene.

So as it stands now, Ren apparently interrogates prisoners next to Vader’s ashes.

Beginner of many projects, finisher of few

Author
Time

chyron8472 said:

Anakin Starkiller said:

If they had tried to pull it off as some big reveal a la ESB, I would’ve been rolling my eyes. They still managed to achieve this with Han’s death scene, though.

Actually, I went into the film already knowing that Harrison Ford wanted Han to have died in the OT given the character’s arc from a selfish scoundrel to a loyal hero was complete; and that he was unhappy with the “teddy bear picnic” in Jedi in lieu of a more bittersweet ending. So I could tell it was coming pretty early on in that scene.

I’m not saying that scene is obvious, I’m just saying it was in no way a shock.

What I meant was that I was rolling my eyes at how laughably predictable his death was. We’re in the same camp.

Author
Time

I finally watched this edit and just wanted to praise the good job done throughout.

There’s several cuts I wouldn’t have made but if this version had been what I saw in the cinema I wouldn’t have felt anything was lacking.

After reading the cut list a few months back I went in thinking the early “who talks first?” scene wasn’t going to work. I really love Poe’s line but, honestly, the way that you edited it plays perfectly and the quiet moment you’ve created actually enhances the scene. Ditto for the edit right at the end - I adore the scene with Luke and that was the only way the movie could possibly end but after seeing how well this works I’m changing my opinion.

Loved hologram Snoke and the other subtle effects tweaks you did. I liked how you handled the Rathtars too. The Kylo/Ben reveal worked out far better than I thought it would as well. There’s enough mystery for it to be a surprise but also enough information if you go back for it not to feel like a cheap trick.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that I thought it was a really impressive fan edit. Well done! I’m looking forward to your Rogue One edit even more now (if I ever figure out how to download it that is!!)

Author
Time

Oye I finally watched your edit.

All in all, you did a fantastic job.

There were some good cuts and a good flow to it all.

The reduction of the Rathar scene was good since it didn’t drag on too long.

The “masked” interrogation worked well. I personally like the thinking behind it. Somewhat wonky, but hey, I like the idea better.

Good job about cutting away Chewy during the Ray and Leia hugging was good … such a silly mistake on JJ about that part.

Granted there are some cuts I miss … like the troopers walking away from Kylo’s frustration.

Not a huge fan of the holo-snoke, personally a bit distracting to me visually. Plus the idea of a more realistic take of the hologram from TFA shows some improvement on technology since the PT era and OT. Even without that point, it was a bit distracting to me.

To the top