Sign In

Star Wars Digital HD Release .... April 10th

Replies
324
Author
Time

What the hell is "digital HD"? Is there an "analogue HD"? Also it misses the only interesting information - which cuts will it contain

Author
Time

We've been discussing it in the 4K thread. VUDU had a page up for a bit before pulling it down. The trailers for the films indicated it's the 2011 transfers.

Help back SPACE COMMAND!

Author
Time

So is there any difference in quality between this and the bluray release?

Author
Time

Probably worse quality than the retail BD, highly compressed.  Not sure i have never used VUDU.

I mean you take the same master and compress it further how is it going to look better?

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

skyjedi2005 said:

Probably worse quality than the retail BD, highly compressed.  Not sure i have never used VUDU.

I mean you take the same master and compress it further how is it going to look better?

 Why would you compress it further?  BD is 1080p.  Digital HD simply means 1080p (or 720p) sent digitally (no media).  There's no need to recompress.

F Scale score - 3.3333333333333335

You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.

Pissing off Rob since August 2007.
Author
Time

Interestingly, they show that shot of the crossed sabers from ROTJ and it's been fixed. I don't recall, was that fixed for the 2011 release or is this evidence of further changes?

Help back SPACE COMMAND!

Author
Time

lordjedi said:

skyjedi2005 said:

Probably worse quality than the retail BD, highly compressed.  Not sure i have never used VUDU.

I mean you take the same master and compress it further how is it going to look better?

 Why would you compress it further?  BD is 1080p.  Digital HD simply means 1080p (or 720p) sent digitally (no media).  There's no need to recompress.

 Because no streaming file even in 2015 is going to be 50 gigs of data. As far as i know, maybe i have old information. 

This post has been edited.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

Tobar said:

Interestingly, they show that shot of the crossed sabers from ROTJ and it's been fixed. I don't recall, was that fixed for the 2011 release or is this evidence of further changes?

 It was fixed for the blus.

Author
Time

Surprised its taken them this long to put it out.  But the audio and video of movies you get off of iTunes and Amazon and other services can't match the quality you get with a Blu-ray, so I don't go out for these much myself.  But still, its no brainier for the studio.  Shame its going to be the 2011 versions though.

Author
Time

Now they'll know how long someone lingers over paused frames of Slave Leia or Oola's wardrobe malfunction. ;)


Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I still don't understand who is this released meant for - the people who don't know how to rip their 2011 set? I see nothing in the press release what wouldn't be on the 2011 Bluray set

Author
Time

I'be got my fingers crossed for the PT deleted scenes from the DVD to appear in HD. They're listed under "legacy content," but hopefully sourced from a master and not just literally from the DVD.

Author
Time

pittrek said:

What the hell is "digital HD"? Is there an "analogue HD"?

 *Cough* MUSE Laserdisc *Cough* W-VHS *Cough* Analog HDTV  *Cough*

...and that doesn't even count the UHD resolutions that can be supported by film.

This post has been edited.

The Bunny, The Bunny, woah, I love The Bunny

Possessed said:
Danfun, do you also love the soup and the bread, or just the bunny?

SilverWook said:
Use of the bunny outside off topic is getting out of hand.
When outside off topic, use a link to the bunny if you really feel the need to invoke it.
Warnings will be next if some restraint is not shown.

Author
Time

This being pushed out this week gives me hope. Digital copies of the existing Blu's are no big deal, and Disney/LFL apparently knows this. So if they were going to announce something at Celebration, it won't be a giant countdown to who cares, because it's already out.

“Oh yeah. I’m a dummy.” - me

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress / Facebook / Twitter

005’s List of List & Comparisons

Author
Time

doubleofive said:

This being pushed out this week gives me hope. Digital copies of the existing Blu's are no big deal, and Disney/LFL apparently knows this. So if they were going to announce something at Celebration, it won't be a giant countdown to who cares, because it's already out.

On the other hand, if they were going to announce an OOT blu-ray at Celebration then why would they wait until barely a week earlier to put out the digital release?

"What's that? Star Wars is out on iTunes now? I think I'll "buy" it. Wait, what's this? There's a new blu-ray coming out later this year with the unaltered versions? Nevermind, I think I'll save my itunes money."

Disney would really be shooting themselves in the foot business-wise by announcing it now. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Honestly, I don't see how they can get through the convention without at least addressing the issue of the OOT's unavailability.

Author
Time

They're just the SE being released digitally (I looked at the run times). This means that the SE is here to stay in the digital age. No way iTunes is going to release the original editions, and this means whatever changes were made in the last 20 years to the OT is going to clearly carry over into Episode VII. Looks like Disney is following in line with what LFL did before. Whoever does the fan edits on this site, be careful.

Let’s face it, Gary Kurtz was purged

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

I'be got my fingers crossed for the PT deleted scenes from the DVD to appear in HD. They're listed under "legacy content," but hopefully sourced from a master and not just literally from the DVD.

I highly doubt it. "Legacy" in this instance seems to mean "Some old tat". If they were in HD surely they'd be trumpeting that fact from roof tops.

I'm really angry about this. Disney have been doing so much stuff that is right in the past year. It's felt like a new dawn for Star Wars fandom... after "the dark times" but no it's still the same old bullsh*t.

I almost wouldn't mind if they'd said "Okay we know these arent the original films... but never mind that... here they are in a new format!". But to ignore the "Bantha in the room" over this release is an insult. They must know how excited fans have been by all the remastering rumours, and how this announcement will crush their spirits? Shame on you Disney, I thought you were better than this.

At least the bonus content looks pretty much worthless, so I don't have to miss out on anything, when I boycott them ;-)

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

What did you expect? It's Disney. They would rather make millions of dollars off prexisting IP's than satisfy disgruntled fans. They are to blame for the ridiculous copyright laws that exist in this country ("Steamboat Willie dare not get out of our hands!") On top of that, they are putting all their effort in remaking every single one of their animated films into live action. Soon enough they are going to crack down on the fan preservations and George Lucas's dream of destroying the originals will be complete. No wonder he sold Star Wars down the river to these monsters.

Let’s face it, Gary Kurtz was purged

Author
Time

On the plus side the comments sections for all of the trailers are filled with people saying if it's not the theatrical editions they're going to pass.

The flip side to that though are comments like these:

All the endless whining has made me want to see the original cuts all burned to spite the over the top whiners, you guys act like Lucas murdered your family because he changed a few scenes.

What a surprise, most of the comments are about the original cuts. MOVE ON PEOPLE. After 18 years of whining you'd think you'd of got the message by now, Lucas prefers the what he sees as completed versions of HIS movies unfinished due to the limitations of the time. I can't see Disney/Lucasfilm disrespecting his wishes. You have more chance of the Holiday Special. I have the original cuts, I choose to watch the blu-rays. Time to move along.. move along..

old people we love you. But please be quiet and enjoy the glorious film in glorious 4k. Sincerely not old people

cue the entitled old farts asking for the unfinished versions of these movies.

A bit disturbing to say the least...

Help back SPACE COMMAND!

Author
Time

Just because a movie is "finished" doesn't make it right. "The Thief and the Cobbler" for example.

The Bunny, The Bunny, woah, I love The Bunny

Possessed said:
Danfun, do you also love the soup and the bread, or just the bunny?

SilverWook said:
Use of the bunny outside off topic is getting out of hand.
When outside off topic, use a link to the bunny if you really feel the need to invoke it.
Warnings will be next if some restraint is not shown.

Author
Time

The GOUT was the absolute last time the originals were ever going to be released. There's no way now they're going to waste time and money having two versions of each Star Wars film, and the real pisser is that everyone is okay with the slaughtering. The SE has won simply by being shoved down our throats hard enough.

Let’s face it, Gary Kurtz was purged

To the top