(I have no intention of making this edit, but I think it might just be an interesting concept for future edits should somebody be inclined.)
So lets imagine ROGUE ONE was the first film in a franchise of space fantasy films. The producers had sketched out a grander story and universe that would follow on from it. Much like GAME OF THRONES, we are left with a conclusion where our initial protagonist is dead, but now other heroes and villains can take the reigns and lead the series.
The next film in the series would explain what happens to the Death Star plans, and who (and what) the mysterious Jedi is etc.
So taking the meat from existing STAR WARS films, how would you build a sequel in the same style as ROGUE ONE?
A POSSIBLE APPROACH
Open with young OBI WAN from ROTS. He’s just defeated Darth Vader (no ANAKIN references), who lies face down in the ash on Mustafar. We cut to a scene with BAIL ORGANA (no yoda) and then he’s taking a child to tatooine. This could be a good exposition dump, but also visually links BAIL from R1.
The rest of the film follows ANH with a few alterations to the structure.
- We jump straight to LUKE observing the battle, and reinsert all the deleted scenes of BIGGS. The story follows on purely from Luke’s perspective until we get to BEN’s hut.
- BEN tells him about VADER. The full hologram is played, then cuts to the TANTIVE IV - where we see LEIA insert the disk into R2D2. VADER blows the door down, she is capture and taken away etc. (Sort of like the switch in perspective in INTERSTELLER when cooper see’s murphy’s message).
- Cut back to OWEN shouting for LUKE. LUKE is about to leave BEN’S rejects his call to adventure. They find the dead JAWAS, burning homestead etc.
- Tarkin’s board room scene (it’d be amazing to get some of those deleted scenes in there too for the SITH references)
- Cut back to BEN and LUKE heading into MOS EISLEY
… then the rest of the film would follow as usual.
*A few other alterations would include some musical changes (or downgrades depending on your point of view).
*Possibly including some R1 footage of YAVIN, but of vastly empty hangars due to the losses at SCARIF. Maybe even Mon Mothma could be glimpsed frowning over table display during the final battle.
*Losing the wipes and stylistic ques of the OT in favour of what we were presented with in R1.
*A more drawn out Alderaan destruction perhaps?
There are just some ideas anyway.
What excites me most, is the prospect of what R3 and R4 edits become. As we have the possibility of exploring flashbacks, it slowly becomes more SKYWALKER focused again possibly, with subtle nods to PT plotlines to tie them together.
Again - merely a thought experiment, and a nice topic for discussion. In no way could this surpass the OT, but might be a nice alternative or different take on the classic.
This post has been edited.