Sign In

Need help making Despecialized Edition DVDs

Replies
9
Author
Time

I have files for Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi. They are in MKV format. I have tried burning the files to a blank DVD, but that doesn’t seem to work. I have never done this before, so I need help. I don’t know what to do, so if someone could guide me through this I would really appreciate it. The more detailed the better.

May the Shwarts be with you!

Author
Time

What device are you planning on playing this disc on?

Author
Time

If you want to keep it HD, and use your Xbox One for playback, you’ll need to make a properly formatted Blu-ray or AVCHD disc.

Load the MKV into tsMuxeR and have it build you a Blu-ray or AVCHD folder, then burn that to a disc (BD-R or DL DVD-R respectively) with ImgBurn.

If you want to use your DVD player (and it doesn’t have MKV or AVCHD support) you’ll need to completely rebuild each film as a standard def DVD. Last I checked, ConvertXtoDVD was a decent all-in-one tool for doing that.

Author
Time

Jonno said:

If you want to keep it HD, and use your Xbox One for playback, you’ll need to make a properly formatted Blu-ray or AVCHD disc.

Load the MKV into tsMuxeR and have it build you a Blu-ray or AVCHD folder, then burn that to a disc (BD-R or DL DVD-R respectively) with ImgBurn.

If you want to use your DVD player (and it doesn’t have MKV or AVCHD support) you’ll need to completely rebuild each film as a standard def DVD. Last I checked, ConvertXtoDVD was a decent all-in-one tool for doing that.

So I did the tsMuxeR and it came out with a whole bunch of different files and folders. Do I just put all of it into one folder and burn that? It came out with two folders BMDV and CERTIFICATE. BMDV contains 5 different folders.

This post has been edited.

May the Shwarts be with you!

Author
Time

Yes, that’s the folder structure for a Blu-ray (or AVCHD) disc.

The next step is to make sure both BDMV and CERTIFICATE are in a main folder (make one if you need to, e.g. ‘Star Wars DeEd’).

When you open ImgBurn, use the ‘Write files/folders to disc’ option. Then select that main folder to burn - ImgBurn will know from the structure that it’s meant to be a playable disc.

Author
Time

Jonno said:

Yes, that’s the folder structure for a Blu-ray (or AVCHD) disc.

The next step is to make sure both BDMV and CERTIFICATE are in a main folder (make one if you need to, e.g. ‘Star Wars DeEd’).

When you open ImgBurn, use the ‘Write files/folders to disc’ option. Then select that main folder to burn - ImgBurn will know from the structure that it’s meant to be a playable disc.

So I did all that, but ImgBurn would go all the way through the process, but at 99% would give me an error and say it didn’t work. One time it finished, and stuck it in my Xbox One to check and it wouldn’t play.

May the Shwarts be with you!

Author
Time

What exactly did the error say? What kind of disc are you burning to?

Author
Time

Jonno said:

What exactly did the error say? What kind of disc are you burning to?

I get a different one every time try it. I get one at 99% that says it can’t finish the disk. I am using blank DVD’s I bought a while back, can’t remember what type it was. When I take the disk out of my computer’s tray after attempting to burn, it is obvious on the back that there is something written to it, but when I insert it into my Xbox it get something along the lines of “This disk can not be played”.

May the Shwarts be with you!

Author
Time

The first thing I’d try would be some quality blanks. If it’s just DVD-Rs you want, Verbatims should be reasonably priced.

If they’re still giving you issues, there may be a problem with your burner.

To the top