Logan’s Run Special 70mm Preview Cut
On May 7, 1976 there was a special advance screening of Logan’s Run containing almost 20 minutes of extra footage. When the film was released in June that footage was entirely cut from the film to achieve a PG rating. The deleted footage is now presumed to be lost.
However, an audience recording of this screening and a 35mm preview reel containing some alternate and cut footage have survived. Using these sources I will be able to reconstruct the 70mm preview cut (or at least some of it).
This is not meant to be an extended edition but rather a recreation of the 70mm sneak preview cut. Some shots that easily could’ve been added were left out as they were not present on the 70mm print. Some things from the theatrical edition had to be cut as well.
- Francis hunting red runner intro
- Logan and Francis leaving Nursery and using mazecar
- Carousel has been extended
- Logan looking at his life clock outside Sandman HQ
- Arcade sequence rearranged
- Rotoscope of the two reds entering mazecar station
- Love Shop has been extended - a custom audio mix will be created to match 70mm
- Runner HQ conversation has been extended
- Francis sewer scene edited
- Interrogation extended
- All overdubbed lines not present on 70mm print have been removed
- Shot of Logan and Francis on elevator
- Carousel bell (up until Great Hall)
- Computer voice before and during Carousel
- Logan and Jessica making their way to Arcade
- Extra Carousel shots when Logan and Jessica return to the city
35mm Advanced Preview of Selected Scenes
Life in the 23rd Century featurette
Film Score Monthly Expanded Soundtrack
Video: 2.20:1 Aspect Ratio
Audio: 70mm 6 Track Recreation
Bootleg Audience Recording
The video editing is 90% done. There’s a few scenes that still need to be tweaked. After those are done I’ll focus on the audio mix.
This post has been edited.