Sign In

Kathleen Kennedy Shuts Down any Hope for Unaltered Release

Replies
13
Author
Time

LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy went on a podcast during Star Wars Celebration 2017, and was asked about the potential for a release of the Unaltered Original Trilogy. She replied: "“I wouldn’t touch those, are you kidding me? [laughs] Those will always remain his (George Lucas).”

May the Shwarts be with you!

Author
Time

This has already been discussed in plenty of other threads.

Also all she was really saying was that she went further alter the SE.

Chickens have personalities.

Author
Time

Possessed said:

This has already been discussed in plenty of other threads.

Also all she was really saying was that she wouldn’t further alter the SE.

FTFY

Author
Time

Anyway, I’m sure Kennedy is well aware of the demand for an unaltered release on modern formats (blu-ray, 4k, digital, etc). The podcast guy should’ve made it clear he was asking about that, although as someone suggested, maybe he actually wasn’t asking about that at all. Maybe he actually meant to ask her what he asked her, which would be weird because who really cares what Disney does with George’s version but whatever, to each their own.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

Possessed said:

This has already been discussed in plenty of other threads.

Also all she was really saying was that she wouldn’t further alter the SE.

FTFY

I don’t think ftfy is really meant to simply correct typos 😉

Chickens have personalities.

Author
Time

Even if she wanted to, it’s hard when GL has the Only copies (if he didn’t destroy them) to himself. Hell Even Fox Owns the Rights to the ANH. I don’t ever see this coming out officially, but I would love to eat my words.

Author
Time

Meant to simply say “fixed.”

I’m bad at interneting.

Author
Time

Tyler0013 said:

Even if she wanted to, it’s hard when GL has the Only copies (if he didn’t destroy them) to himself. Hell Even Fox Owns the Rights to the ANH. I don’t ever see this coming out officially, but I would love to eat my words.

What makes you think George has the only copies, and not Fox or Disney?

Nicky Dee

Author
Time

nickyd47 said:

Tyler0013 said:

Even if she wanted to, it’s hard when GL has the Only copies (if he didn’t destroy them) to himself. Hell Even Fox Owns the Rights to the ANH. I don’t ever see this coming out officially, but I would love to eat my words.

What makes you think George has the only copies, and not Fox or Disney?

No one, and it doesn’t make sense.

Furthermore, Fox does not own the rights to ANH. They own distribution rights. So they get some amount of money when it gets sold. That’s not to say it makes Fox a non-factor, but people love to misrepresent this detail.

Author
Time

See: the Adam West Batman series getting released on dvd and blu-ray several years ago for why Fox perpetually owning distribution on ANH isn’t a problem.

Author
Time

towne32 said:

nickyd47 said:

Tyler0013 said:

Even if she wanted to, it’s hard when GL has the Only copies (if he didn’t destroy them) to himself. Hell Even Fox Owns the Rights to the ANH. I don’t ever see this coming out officially, but I would love to eat my words.

What makes you think George has the only copies, and not Fox or Disney?

No one, and it doesn’t make sense.

Furthermore, Fox does not own the rights to ANH. They own distribution rights. So they get some amount of money when it gets sold. That’s not to say it makes Fox a non-factor, but people love to misrepresent this detail.

That’s what I meant, and messed up my reply, about the Distribution rights. I thought he had the originals since Kathlene said they were his.

Author
Time

I’d kinda hoped that when filming Rogue One they would take some shots to insert into ANH with a 2020 rerelease.

Like the Rogue One’s update on the Yavin IV base. Or Bail Organa on Alderaan before the destruction.

But I know that’s a bit sacrilegious.

Author
Time

If I’m not mistaken, what’s meant by “the unaltered versions don’t exist” is that the OCN was cut up to insert the '97SE shots into it, right? So a full, intact copy of the original negative might not exist, but most of the OCN for the unaltered versions exists as part of the SE negative, and I imagine either the snipped portions still exist somewhere or complete prints of the unaltered versions exist that are only a generation or two removed from the OCN.

Basically what that means is that it’s not that the materials don’t exist to prepare a 4K restoration of the unaltered trilogy, but it would take some work to assemble the finished product from different materials - there’s no complete original negative they can just run through a scanner and be done with it.

So basically it’s not a question of whether they can, but whether they will.

To the top