Update: released to the spleen. see updated changelist in this post.
The 12th James Bond film is a favorite of mine. After the silly Moonraker, the film makers decided it was time to return to a more serious tone, with a traditional spy plot. The film mostly succeeds, but there a few missteps that have always bothered me. My goal is to make FYEO a more “classic” Bond film.
The big idea is to tighten the film, and replace the Bill Conti score with classic John Barry music from other Bond films.
JULY 2017 UPDATED CHANGELIST
- UA/MGM LOGO. replaced with 1981 UA logo
- Original pre-credits opening with graveside scene and helicoptor removed. new opening is the sinking of St Georges,murder of the Havelocs
- opening title/song re-synced and pitch corrected with the original album version Sheena Easton’s song
- toned down MI6 chief of staff’s disdain for 007
- identigraph scene dramatically shortened
- Bibi Dahl no longer tries to seduce Bond, most of her scenes shortened
- motorcycle attack on Melina removed
- hockey player attack removed
- submarine attack removed
- Bond and Melina’s afternoon shopping removed
- Margaret Thatcher removed
in addition to the above major alterations, there are these changes that alter the timing and feel of the movie
- nearly every scene in the movie has tightened editing, some gags and bad effects removed
- some new sound effects added to help the impact of action scenes
- color timing changed on a scene-by-scene basis to make it feel more “cinematic”
- replace Conti with Barry
The film’s original running time is 127 mins.
New running time is 99 minutes.
This post has been edited.