Update: released to the spleen. see updated changelist in this post.
The 12th James Bond film is a favorite of mine. After the silly Moonraker, the film makers decided it was time to return to a more serious tone, with a traditional spy plot. The film mostly succeeds, but there a few missteps that have always bothered me. My goal is to make FYEO a more “classic” Bond film.
The big idea is to tighten the film, and replace the Bill Conti score with classic John Barry music from other Bond films.
JULY 2017 UPDATED CHANGELIST
- UA/MGM LOGO. replaced with 1981 UA logo
- Original pre-credits opening with graveside scene and helicoptor removed. new opening is the sinking of St Georges,murder of the Havelocs
- opening title/song re-synced and pitch corrected with the original album version Sheena Easton’s song
- toned down MI6 chief of staff’s disdain for 007
- identigraph scene dramatically shortened
- Bibi Dahl no longer tries to seduce Bond, most of her scenes shortened
- motorcycle attack on Melina removed
- hockey player attack removed
- submarine attack removed
- Bond and Melina’s afternoon shopping removed
- Margaret Thatcher removed
in addition to the above major alterations, there are these changes that alter the timing and feel of the movie
- nearly every scene in the movie has tightened editing, some gags and bad effects removed
- some new sound effects added to help the impact of action scenes
- color timing changed on a scene-by-scene basis to make it feel more “cinematic”
- replace Conti with Barry
The film’s original running time is 127 mins.
New running time is 99 minutes.
NOVEMBER 2017 UPDATE: v2.0 in the works.
I have submitted this for review on fanedit.org. Here is their initial response
“For your Eyes Only’ is one of my top-5 Bond movies, it’s one of the few that does a near-perfect balancing act between serious and fun (plus Melina is the strongest and best ever Bond girl ever IMO). It has a few moments of silliness though and while I do love the Bill Conti synth score (he has done some beautiful scores), I have always wondered what a more traditional Bond score would be like. nostromo777 (aka Echo3) has made the dreams of everybody who has wanted a fanedit of FYEO, come true. The re-scoring is better than even my wildest dreams. I thought I’d miss some moments but even beautiful pieces of scoring from Conti such as when Melina’s theme plays (after her parents are murdered) are replaced with a Barry passage so similar in tone and feel that I was amazed. The moment when Bond says “You left this with Ferrara I believe” and then you add a slow arrangement of the Bond theme, was so, so cool (I had to rewind and enjoy that moment quite a few times!). Where did you find that new piece of beautiful piano for the end scene, genius! At many points, I found myself forgetting that the score had been replaced (which I mean as a compliment) because you replaced it with pieces so natural to the scenes.”
full review, along with suggestions for glitches. further edit suggestions here: https://forums.fanedit.org/showthread.php?tid=15474&pid=295213#pid295213
I have already begun work on fixing all the mistakes, and plan on adding a few tweaks along the way.
This post has been edited.
aka nostromo777 on myspleen