logo Sign In

'97 vs. '04 (and '11) - Your preference? — Page 3

Author
Time

He woulda had to pay him more to be in two movies I guess. He may have not known Star Wars merchandise would continuing to sell so well years after they were released so he didn’t know he’d have the extra money after ROTJ was released on home video.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain the significance of the changes to the Emperor scene in ESB?

I’ve watched the original and the '04 version – I just now noticed the “the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star” line, but I’m not really getting what the issue with the changes are. From what I gathered, Palpy mentioning that Luke is Anakin’s offspring works just as well as just saying “the son of Skywalker”, in the modern world. In 1980, the scene made sense as is – we didn’t know yet that Vader is Anakin.

Granted, for those who will never watch the prequels, this change ruins the big twist that everyone and their mother knows by now…

Can someone dumb it down?

“That said, there is nothing wrong with mocking prequel lovers and belittling their bad taste.” - Alderaan, 2017

MGGA (Make GOUT Great Again):
http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Return-of-the-GOUT-Preservation-and-Restoration/id/55707

Author
Time

JawsTDS said:

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain the significance of the changes to the Emperor scene in ESB?

I’ve watched the original and the '04 version – I just now noticed the “the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star” line, but I’m not really getting what the issue with the changes are. From what I gathered, Palpy mentioning that Luke is Anakin’s offspring works just as well as just saying “the son of Skywalker”, in the modern world. In 1980, the scene made sense as is – we didn’t know yet that Vader is Anakin.

Granted, for those who will never watch the prequels, this change ruins the big twist that everyone and their mother knows by now…

Can someone dumb it down?

I think people’s issue with it includes not just what you quoted, but Vader’s following line, “How is that possible?”. He has been hunting around for a kid with his own last name. Some defenders of the line will claim that it is a farce to fool Palpatine, but I don’t think that much more believable. Whether one likes it or not, this is where the difference is. In the original, they both know what they’re talking about without the viewer cluing in. In the new one, we’re supposed to be witnessing the moment where either Vader finds out, or Palpatine reveals that he has found out, and it’s a bit crap.

Author
Time

The extra line of “how is that possible” is one thing, but the '04 alterations don’t actually reveal that Vader is Anakin. In both versions Palpatine speaks of “the son of skywalker” in the third person. The only real difference is that we learn the name of Luke’s dad a movie earlier.

Author
Time

It also doesn’t help that “how is it possible?” is said by modern James Earl Jones. The voice is there, but the filters are night and day between the rest of his dialogue in the movie let alone the scene.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

Did the blu-ray actually try to fix the colors from 2004? Besides the minor lightsaber fixes, did they try to make Hoth less blue or colors not quite as oversaturated?

Overall, I have to go with 1997. For one, it actually looks great with proper color timing and a well done sound mix. Plus, at least this was advertised and promoted as a new version. I also find it silly that after being promoted as the definitive version/vision of Lucas, he’s gone back and digitally altered it two times in the next 14ish years.
I mean how are we supposed to take Lucas seriously instead of seeing him as some OCD guy who can’t just move on from something.

Take back the trilogy. Execute Order '77

http://www.youtube.com/user/Knightmessenger

Author
Time

Knightmessenger said:

Did the blu-ray actually try to fix the colors from 2004? Besides the minor lightsaber fixes, did they try to make Hoth less blue or colors not quite as oversaturated?

Yes. Only the Hoth blue, though.

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

Knightmessenger said:

I wasn’t aware that they’d changed that between 04 and 11. But yeah, the films in general have the exact same color timing as in 2004.

Author
Time

towne32 said:

Wazzles said:

Knightmessenger said:

I wasn’t aware that they’d changed that between 04 and 11. But yeah, the films in general have the exact same color timing as in 2004.

I haven’t actually bothered to check, this is just what I’ve heard.

Author
Time

Slightly off topic but interesting: Poita has had access to a low fade ESB print (to look at, but not scan), and mentioned in another thread that Hoth is indeed blue-ish. Not as blue as the blu-ray, but it’s an interesting comment for those out there who think it should be paper white.

Author
Time

One thing they got right about the Early Jabba is that they made him look rubbery. I guess George wanted to step more towards realism when he redid the CG.

Author
Time

Naive as I am I’m wishing that LFL is gonna make a new rubber Jabba for the Han Solo movie, and they would use it to redo his sequences of TPM and ANH. At least they could scan the eyes properly…

Author
Time

The 04 and 11 are the worst transfer ever done IMHO and the “creative decisions” they made are truly stupid. The additional CG tweaks to the BDs are incredibly out of place, worst of all is that horrendous noise they put in for Ben’s krayt dragon call.

The 97 has great picture, color and most especially sound. The sound mix respects the original and works in alternate things from the mono mixes all while keeping dynamic range.

Only downsides of the 97 to me are the Alert my star destroyer and accompanying shot of Vader walking to his shuttle, and of course Jedi Rocks.

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

captainsolo said:

Only downsides of the 97 to me are the Alert my star destroyer and accompanying shot of Vader walking to his shuttle, and of course Jedi Rocks.

You liked the Jabba scene? Whaaaaa?