logo Sign In

Info Wanted: 5.1 mono-style mix?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve seen Adywan’s edit and how he pulled off the sound mix, which has a lot of mono mix elements.

I can’t really pull this off adequately even in 2.0 (I tried a year or so ago) but I’d really like to see if it could be done: a true 5.1 mix, that has all the mono mix elements, and as far as possible, sounds like…well…the mono mix, but in 5.1. (Bonus points if synched to the GOUT 😛)

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time
I vote 'yes' If Ihad the skills I'd love to try it.
Author
Time
It's possible in Vegas, which can create 5.1 soundtracks. My receiver does not have a Prologic II, so I took the stereo soundtrack, ran it through a software Prologic emulator and create 5 audio streams (C, L, R, BL, BR). I dropped these into Vegas with the original video/audio, synced them up, and created a 5.1 soundtrack. I received quite a few compliments on it.

I don't think this would work with the straight mono soundtrack (which wouldn't have the PL steering instructions), so each channel would have to be recreated (or layed over the earlier PL soundtrack). It would probably take awhile, and probably not worth in the effort, IMHO (Too much chance of becoming a mish-mash.)

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
To make it clear, I'm talking recreating a mix, prolly from the 1997 and 2004 5.1s, combined with the 1.0, and possibly with the foreign dubs and whatever else, and laid out in 5.1 - not a simple 2.0 upsampling with 1.0 elements.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)