Sign In

4K restoration on Star Wars — Page 247

Author
Time

What about that Russian version? 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Mike O said:

J0E said:

Mike O said:

Possessed said:

Personally my friends and I didn’t like the first Hobbit movie, so I’m honestly amazed the sequels got made.

I am like the lone apologist for those films.

I picked up the Extended Cut DVD’s the other day from Walmart and I just got through the first one last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven’t gotten through the entire trilogy yet, but if the next two movies are as good as the first, I’ll put them on par with the LOTR Trilogy.

They aren’t as good as LOTr, I freely admit that. They have lots of problems, and there are huge chunks of them that you could cut out. But the accusation that they’re as bad as the Star Wars prequels is frankly just insane. The casting alone puts them head and shoulders above.

Yeah after getting through the trilogy and reflecting on it a bit, I agree. I’ll try the theatrical cuts next.

Author
Time

rodneyfaile said:

Where is 4K77 ?!

Behind 4K THX 1138.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

Wazzles said:

Mike O said:

J0E said:

Mike O said:

Possessed said:

Personally my friends and I didn’t like the first Hobbit movie, so I’m honestly amazed the sequels got made.

I am like the lone apologist for those films.

I picked up the Extended Cut DVD’s the other day from Walmart and I just got through the first one last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven’t gotten through the entire trilogy yet, but if the next two movies are as good as the first, I’ll put them on par with the LOTR Trilogy.

They aren’t as good as LOTr, I freely admit that. They have lots of problems, and there are huge chunks of them that you could cut out. But the accusation that they’re as bad as the Star Wars prequels is frankly just insane. The casting alone puts them head and shoulders above.

They have some of the same issues, being prequels and all, but their major faults are being terrible adaptations of the book.

I think part of them are terrific adaptations of the book; the first hour or so of the first movie is almost word-for-word. The stuff they added in that’s actually in Tolkien is pretty good; the Dol Goldur stuff, etc. The material they just added to pad things out like the inter-species romance, not so much.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

Mike O said:

Wazzles said:

Mike O said:

J0E said:

Mike O said:

Possessed said:

Personally my friends and I didn’t like the first Hobbit movie, so I’m honestly amazed the sequels got made.

I am like the lone apologist for those films.

I picked up the Extended Cut DVD’s the other day from Walmart and I just got through the first one last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven’t gotten through the entire trilogy yet, but if the next two movies are as good as the first, I’ll put them on par with the LOTR Trilogy.

They aren’t as good as LOTr, I freely admit that. They have lots of problems, and there are huge chunks of them that you could cut out. But the accusation that they’re as bad as the Star Wars prequels is frankly just insane. The casting alone puts them head and shoulders above.

They have some of the same issues, being prequels and all, but their major faults are being terrible adaptations of the book.

I think part of them are terrific adaptations of the book; the first hour or so of the first movie is almost word-for-word. The stuff they added in that’s actually in Tolkien is pretty good; the Dol Goldur stuff, etc. The material they just added to pad things out like the inter-species romance, not so much.

It should have been two two hour movies or one 4 hour movie. They padded it out with appendices to try and increase the franchise at the expense of quality. I still prefer the Rankin Bass animated version.

It seems like people are really embracing the new characters. In fact, the big question people ask me now about Star Wars is, “Are Finn and Poe gay lovers?” And really how the f*ck would I know? My second husband left me for a man, so my gaydar isn’t exactly what you’d call Death Star level quality. ----Carrie Fisher

Author
Time

They stuff they padded it out with from the appendices was fine. The stuff they just added in to pad out the time? That was much more problematic. No question, it could’ve easily been one movie that was 3-4 hours. Easily.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

Mike O said:

rodneyfaile said:

Where is 4K77 ?!

Behind 4K THX 1138.

I want a 4K version of THX but it’ll probably be the 2004 Director’s Cut.
Maybe I should trash pick for a 35MM print of it

Nicky Dee

Author
Time

Mike O said:

Wazzles said:

Mike O said:

J0E said:

Mike O said:

Possessed said:

Personally my friends and I didn’t like the first Hobbit movie, so I’m honestly amazed the sequels got made.

I am like the lone apologist for those films.

I picked up the Extended Cut DVD’s the other day from Walmart and I just got through the first one last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven’t gotten through the entire trilogy yet, but if the next two movies are as good as the first, I’ll put them on par with the LOTR Trilogy.

They aren’t as good as LOTr, I freely admit that. They have lots of problems, and there are huge chunks of them that you could cut out. But the accusation that they’re as bad as the Star Wars prequels is frankly just insane. The casting alone puts them head and shoulders above.

They have some of the same issues, being prequels and all, but their major faults are being terrible adaptations of the book.

I think part of them are terrific adaptations of the book; the first hour or so of the first movie is almost word-for-word. The stuff they added in that’s actually in Tolkien is pretty good; the Dol Goldur stuff, etc. The material they just added to pad things out like the inter-species romance, not so much.

Tonally they are entirely different. Anything that’s from the Appendices are irrelevant, because that then becomes an adaptation of the Appendices + The Hobbit.

Author
Time

nickyd47 said:

Mike O said:

rodneyfaile said:

Where is 4K77 ?!

Behind 4K THX 1138.

I want a 4K version of THX but it’ll probably be the 2004 Director’s Cut.
Maybe I should trash pick for a 35MM print of it

That’s what I’m saying; someone should try to salvage THX 1138 while it’s still possible.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

Mike O said:

nickyd47 said:

Mike O said:

rodneyfaile said:

Where is 4K77 ?!

Behind 4K THX 1138.

I want a 4K version of THX but it’ll probably be the 2004 Director’s Cut.
Maybe I should trash pick for a 35MM print of it

That’s what I’m saying; someone should try to salvage THX 1138 while it’s still possible.

I mean, someone scanned a 16MM black and white print of it, of all prints.

Nicky Dee

Author
Time

I know this is not necessarily about 4K resto on Star Wars, but it may be very telling nonetheless; The Last Jedi is being released in 4K steelbook by Best Buy. I don’t know what the international release will consist of, but here is the purchase link for info:

4K Best Buy link

Author
Time

one69chev said:

I know this is not necessarily about 4K resto on Star Wars, but it may be very telling nonetheless; The Last Jedi is being released in 4K steelbook by Best Buy. I don’t know what the international release will consist of, but here is the purchase link for info:

4K Best Buy link

Well I knew about this since the Pre-Order went live on Zavvi about two or so weeks ago

Nicky Dee

Author
Time

I thought we knew TLJ was getting a 4K release before it was even in theaters. What’s the surprise?

“After a time, you may find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Spock

Author
Time

Handman said:

I thought we knew TLJ was getting a 4K release before it was even in theaters. What’s the surprise?

Hmmm, I didn’t catch that, but leading up to the movie I stayed away from any TLJ news to avoid possible spoilers, so I am not surprised. But maybe it means good things are on the horizon.

Author
Time

Handman said:

I thought we knew TLJ was getting a 4K release before it was even in theaters. What’s the surprise?

We did

Author
Time

We’ll see a 4K TFA and Rogue One long before any of the others.

“After a time, you may find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.” - Spock