logo Sign In

21 Grams Rebalanced (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hey guys, most of you don’t know me, i’m a lurker on these forums. But I’m a regular at fanedit.org and over there i go by the name of Gatos. I recently completed my third fanedit and I thought I would share it over here.

Trailer

**Intention:
**“In this film everything has already happened, and it’s as if God, or the director, is shuffling the deck after the game is over. Here is the question we have to answer: Is this approach better than telling the same story from beginning to end?” - Roger Ebert

I have always been a huge fan of Alejandro González Iñárritu’s films (Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Babel, Biutiful etc.) I always liked 21 Grams and never really had a problem with the fractured, non-linear structure of the story.

Some reviewers (i.e. Ebert) feel the non-linear structure was unnecessary and even a cheap trick or “stunt” that didn’t add anything to the story. I don’t really agree with this sentiment but I understand it. With that being said, my intention for this fanedit was to make a more linear and chronological version of the film. This allows the viewer to experience the events in the same fashion as the characters, allowing a different take on the same material.

Edit Details:
This edit is not 100% chronological. I replaced the opening scene and kept the “bookends” intact.

This edit was really like trying to put together a puzzle and figure out which scenes go where (or rather where I thought they should go). Sound editing led to some interesting results, as the beautiful score done by Gustavo Santaolalla often is spread over two scenes that are on different parts of the “time-line” of the story.

Editor’s note: For those who haven’t watched their theatrical disk of 21 Grams in a while, it should be remembered that the theatrical edit utilizes lots of quick cuts and the film is very grainy at times (and my edit doesn’t “fix” these things).

Release Info: Single Layer NTSC DVD (not sure what the rules are on OT.com but PM me about availability)

Special Thanks:
Thanks to g1orkatsos for making the cover art, disc art, and a custom “Gatos Features” logo in the style of the “Focus Features” logo.
Thanks to LastSurvivor for designing a Main Menu and Scene Selection Menu for the DVD.
Thanks to Rogue-theX for helping me with some sound issues.
Thanks to elbarto1 for reviewing one of my early workprints.
Thanks to Neglify for reviewing a workprint.
Thanks to L8wrtr for reviewing a workprint and sending me an essay-length private message convincing me to change the order of a key scene in the movie!

Author
Time

'Ackbar's Fishsticks' hahaha :D

OT-DAWT-COM nieghbour and sometime poster (Remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green day!)

Author
Time

Rogue-theX said:

'Ackbar's Fishsticks' hahaha :D

LOL, one of the best names ever!