logo Sign In

2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympic Games — Page 4

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Collipso said:

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Let’s say, if video games were to become a sport women would probably be better if they were as dedicated as men. Unfortunately it’s another activity that got lost in the sexist world. “Video games are for boys…”

video games aren’t sports.

huh?

Sorry but I can’t consider something I do while having a snack and sitting in a comfy chair in front of my computer a sport.

Author
Time

dahmage said:

Puggo - Jar Jar’s Yoda said:

I wonder if there are some sports where women are actually objectively better than men. For instance, certain judged aspects of figure skating and gymnastics?

There are two olympic sports that are gender neutral - equestrian and curling. The latter doesn’t surprise me, but the former does - it requires a lot of strength and athleticism.

In my favorite sport of table tennis, it is no contest - the top woman in the world couldn’t break the top 100 in the men’s ranking, and that has been true since the beginning.

It is interesting to think about. What I think about is, are the ways that we judge things favoring masculinity? Most of sport is traditionally a measure of the fast and strong. But there are other things that we could be measuring, but don’t.

such as?

Our roots are predominantly patriarchal and masculine, so of course we prize that first and foremost.

Well you do have to admit that when it comes to sports, strength speed matters.

But it certainly is not the only measure of skill.

sports isn’t solely a measure of skill.

It would be interesting to see if any of the matriarchal societies have athletic competitions, and how they judge them.

what matriarchal societies do you refer to?

Author
Time

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Collipso said:

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Let’s say, if video games were to become a sport women would probably be better if they were as dedicated as men. Unfortunately it’s another activity that got lost in the sexist world. “Video games are for boys…”

video games aren’t sports.

huh?

Sorry but I can’t consider something I do while having a snack and sitting in a comfy chair in front of my computer a sport.

That’s just because of how you’re playing them.

Author
Time

playing video games is not a sport. There is nothing athletic about it.

Author
Time

Dahmage’s point was “why does it have to be athletic in a way that men are superior?” This is a question that goes all the way back to sexism again. So I said video games.

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Seems to fit this definition.

except the physical exertion part. If video games are a sport, chess should be a sport, pool should be a sport. Poker should be a sport.

Author
Time

Collipso said:

Dahmage’s point was “why does it have to be athletic in a way that men are superior?” This is a question that goes all the way back to sexism again.

I really don’t get what you mean by “why does it have to be athletic in a way that men are superior?”. For one thing, I don’t how something can be athletic without strength and speed coming into play. Also why should strength and speed be set aside? Just to make women feel better?

So I said video games.

video games aren’t athletic.

Author
Time

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

except the physical exertion part. If video games are a sport, chess should be a sport, pool should be a sport. Poker should be a sport.

Chess is a sport in the eyes of many people. Regardless, video games, at least the ones that have a serious competitive community, are much more physical than chess.

For the record, I’m not being fully serious, just playing devil’s advocate.

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Chess is a sport in the eyes of many people.

Not in mine. It is a great game and I love it and it requires great skill and intelligence, but it is not a sport.

Regardless, video games, at least the ones that have a serious competitive community, are much more physical than chess.

Please explain how.

For the record, I’m not being fully serious, just playing devil’s advocate.

oh.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Not in mine. It is a great game and I love it and it requires great skill and intelligence, but it is not a sport.

Would you consider shooting a sport? I would.

Regardless, video games, at least the ones that have a serious competitive community, are much more physical than chess.

Please explain how.

Same reason that I would consider shooting and archery to be a sport, physical accuracy is a skill that needs to be trained. I guarantee that you can’t pick up a shooting game and be as good as the people who play them professionally. In an FPS, the physical aspect is part of the game; whereas in chess, the physical movement only exists because there wasn’t any other way to move the pieces. Unless you’re thinking about Madden or something, that’s not the type of game I’m talking about.

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Would you consider shooting a sport? I would.

I don’t know. It is treated like a sport.

Please explain how.

Same reason that I would consider shooting and archery to be a sport, physical accuracy is a skill that needs to be trained. I guarantee that you can’t pick up a shooting game and be as good as the people who play them professionally.

I agree I would not be as those that play video games professionally.

In an FPS, the physical aspect is part of the game;

I don’t understand how.

whereas in chess, the physical movement only exists because there wasn’t any other way to move the pieces. Unless you’re thinking about Madden or something, that’s not the type of game I’m talking about.

I fail to see how controlling keyboard/mouse/joystick is any more physical than moving pieces around board, especially when it comes to speed and blitz chess.

Author
Time

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Please explain how.

Same reason that I would consider shooting and archery to be a sport, physical accuracy is a skill that needs to be trained. I guarantee that you can’t pick up a shooting game and be as good as the people who play them professionally.

I don’t understand how.

Honestly it’s pretty hard to explain without having you experience it yourself. I could send you to an online “aim trainer,” but even those are radically different from an actual in-game experience. Below are two timestamped links to a single video, the first link is an example of what bad aiming looks like, the second is an example of good aiming.

https://youtu.be/FPtASGDl2Rw?t=28s

Now, why didn’t that guy just shoot his two opponents in the head for an instant kill? Well, it’s not as easy as it sounds. Aiming is something you have to work at, it isn’t as simple as just clicking on someone. You have to build muscle memory.

https://youtu.be/FPtASGDl2Rw?t=2m1s

That’s what good mouse placement and muscle memory can do for you.

whereas in chess, the physical movement only exists because there wasn’t any other way to move the pieces. Unless you’re thinking about Madden or something, that’s not the type of game I’m talking about.

I fail to see how controlling keyboard/mouse/joystick is any more physical than moving pieces around board, especially when it comes to speed and blitz chess.

You can move chess pieces, right? Then why couldn’t you play as well as professionals? Because, as I tried to demonstrate with the videos above, there is a lot more going on. The target is small; and your opponent will always be moving, you have to try and predict how they’re going to move next. In Counter Strike, the game you saw in those videos, you also have to account for recoil patterns, because the guns “move up” as they’re shot.

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Please explain how.

I don’t understand how.

Honestly it’s pretty hard to explain without having you experience it yourself. I could send you to an online “aim trainer,” but even those are radically different from an actual in-game experience. Below are two timestamped links to a single video, the first link is an example of what bad aiming looks like, the second is an example of good aiming.

Now, why didn’t that guy just shoot his two opponents in the head for an instant kill? Well, it’s not as easy as it sounds. Aiming is something you have to work at, it isn’t as simple as just clicking on someone. You have to build muscle memory.

I have played FPS games, I agree skill is involved. But that doesn’t make it a sport.

You can move chess pieces, right? Then why couldn’t you play as well as professionals? Because, as I tried to demonstrate with the videos above, there is a lot more going on.

just as in chess. Especially in speed chess. I have watched videos of professionals playing speed and blitz chess. They have to sometimes think and move blindly fast as their time is running out.

The target is small; and your opponent will always be moving, you have to try and predict how they’re going to move next. In Counter Strike, the game you saw in those videos, you also have to account for recoil patterns, because the guns “move up” as they’re shot.

I know I have played FPS games. It is possible for someone that is hundreds of pounds overweight to be excellent at FPS games. It is not a sport.

Author
Time

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Please explain how.

I don’t understand how.

I have played FPS games, I agree skill is involved. But that doesn’t make it a sport.

You can move chess pieces, right? Then why couldn’t you play as well as professionals? Because, as I tried to demonstrate with the videos above, there is a lot more going on.

just as in chess. Especially in speed chess. I have watched videos of professionals playing speed and blitz chess. They have to sometimes think and move blindly fast as their time is running out.

The target is small; and your opponent will always be moving, you have to try and predict how they’re going to move next. In Counter Strike, the game you saw in those videos, you also have to account for recoil patterns, because the guns “move up” as they’re shot.

I know I have played FPS games. It is possible for someone that is hundreds of pounds overweight to be excellent at FPS games. It is not a sport.

The point is that there is physical exertion involved, so it meets the definition of a sport. Any ideas about the level of physical exertion are just your own preconceived notions, and they have no bearing on what is or isn’t a sport.

Author
Time

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

TV’s Frink said:

Is race car driving a sport?

it is treated like a sport.

And that’s good enough for you? In that case…

wow, how athletic they look. I bet they are barely breaking a sweat, if at all.

I didn’t know it was possible to miss the point by this much.

Author
Time

If nothing else the physical strain on your eyes should be enough to consider. To say that video games have the same amount of physical exertion as chess means that you’ve never played video games.

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Please explain how.

I don’t understand how.

The point is that there is physical exertion involved, so it meets the definition of a sport. Any ideas about the level of physical exertion are just your own preconceived notions, and they have no bearing on what is or isn’t a sport.

ok then walking to my fridge is a sport. That requires physical exertion too. I guess these competitions on how fast one can solve a rubiks cube are also a sport. Sorry but if you play the game sitting in a nice comfy chair it is not a sport.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

If nothing else the physical strain on your eyes should be enough to consider.

oh good grief.

To say that video games have the same amount of physical exertion as chess means that you’ve never played video games.

have you have every played blitz chess? btw, I have played video games.