logo Sign In

1977 70mm Soundtrack Strikes Back (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hello again. For those who had followed an earlier post:

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=5690

… I had recently dug up a stereo recording I’d made of a 70mm screening of STAR WARS back in 1977. You can read the background article here:

http://members.aol.com/morgands1/closeup/text/SWaudio.htm

I noted that there were issues with the stereo recording, since it was generated back in ’77 by taking two mono recordings – one made while sitting far front on the left side of the theatre and the other far front on the right – and marrying these two onto a reel-to-reel deck, adjusting the speed of the slave decks to try to keep the left and right channels in sync, which wasn’t easy and only intermittently successful. In addition to some noticeable echo affects and phasing, there would be dips when we’d try to slow down one track too quickly. Yet for all its roughness it had a certain, shall we say, panache.

Once I posted these online, there were calls from forum members for a cleaned-up version, on which I initially demurred, knowing how much time it would take even with some decent audio software. And, life is too short. But I finally figured I would at least try my hand on a section of the soundtrack and see how easily (or not) it went.

So I dubbed the original left and right track tapes for the final battle scene (about 15 minutes), saved each as WAV files, them merged them into a single stereo WAV file. I then chose one track and periodically slowed down segments to try to keep it running in sync with its sister track. (Simply aligning the two tracks from end to end didn’t work, and changing the speed wholesale wouldn’t keep them in sync for long, so I ended up having to sync it up every minute or so.) It grew to be as annoying as the original audio work done three decades ago, only this time <I>with computers! </I> And yes, life is STILL too short. I did not do any wholesale equalization or other sound clean-up, either.

So I have posted the test file on the same download page as before;

SW77Redo_FinalBattle.mp3, at
http://www.4shared.com/dir/492929/6929802/sharing.html

Those who downloaded my original can hear for themselves whether the extra effort is worth it. Given that the Original Trilogy DVDs will be released soon, I’d say, not really. But thanks again to all who have chimed in with their appreciation – I’m glad my original, passionate efforts from long ago were fruitful, in an archaeological way at least.

Best,

David

Author
Time
I mentioned this in passing over on the X0 Project thread, but for what it's worth, I've got a transfer of the 70mm audio mix straight to cassette tape. My father was fortunate enough to have been an assistant manager of a theatre in 1977 and ripped the soundtrack directly from the projection equipment, through patch cables into a cassette deck, and onto two dual-sided 60 minute cassettes, which have been stored in plastic cases for the past 25 years.

I don't know how good of a source 25-year-old tape is though... when I played it recently I found it warbles a bit but the line "Blast it Biggs where are you" is indeed there and it seems to be an actual stereo recording (not downmixed to mono/upmixed to stereo). I'm sure someone with a background in audio might be able to do something with it but it definitely needs some work.
Author
Time
YES! Please have that transferred. If no-one else volunteers in the next couple weeks, I can transfer it at the radio station I DJ at back at skool.

I used to be very active on this forum. I’m not really anymore. Sometimes, people still want to get in touch with me about something, and that is great! If that describes you, please email me at [my username]ATgmailDOTcom.

Hi everybody. You’re all awesome. Keep up the good work.

Author
Time
I volunteered my services in the other thread.

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
You've unearthed a real treasure here, Blitter. This is an integral piece of cinema history that must be preserved. Great contribution!

“I love Darth Editous and I’m not ashamed to admit it.” ~ADigitalMan

Author
Time
Originally posted by: blitter
I mentioned this in passing over on the X0 Project thread, but for what it's worth, I've got a transfer of the 70mm audio mix straight to cassette tape. My father was fortunate enough to have been an assistant manager of a theatre in 1977 and ripped the soundtrack directly from the projection equipment, through patch cables into a cassette deck, and onto two dual-sided 60 minute cassettes, which have been stored in plastic cases for the past 25 years.

I don't know how good of a source 25-year-old tape is though... when I played it recently I found it warbles a bit but the line "Blast it Biggs where are you" is indeed there and it seems to be an actual stereo recording (not downmixed to mono/upmixed to stereo). I'm sure someone with a background in audio might be able to do something with it but it definitely needs some work.
This definitely sounds like the best possible 70mm audio capture yet. All others we know of have been open-air recordings. By all means, see to getting that transferred to digital ASAP. If you don't have the best means of doing it yourself, there are others here who have those means, some of whom work in the audio field professionally. They will be more than happy to do their best work on preserving this piece.

Now, since it was recorded onto two cassettes, I'm guessing the music is likely missing some small pieces due to side flipping. This is where David's version may be of best use to stitch the soundtrack back together. David, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to use the technique you used on this new clip you posted just for making transition pieces that are likely to be needed? I'm guessing the missing bits would be less than a minute long, so syncing them up shouldn't pose too much difficulty.

We may at last have a 70mm audio track here worthy of serious consideration as an alternate soundtrack. Great find!

--SKot

Projects:
Return Of The Ewok and Other Short Films (with OCPmovie) [COMPLETED]
Preserving the…cringe…Star Wars Holiday Special [COMPLETED]
The Star Wars TV Commercials Project [DORMANT]
Felix the Cat 1919-1930 early film shorts preservation [ONGOING]
Lights Out! (lost TV anthology shows) [ONGOING]
Iznogoud (1995 animated series) English audio preservation [ONGOING]

Author
Time
I'd just need to know which segments are missing. Fortunately they might be at moments where music/FX are not prominent (i.e., the reel change between Luke's training aboard the Millennium Falcon and Tarkin ordering Leia to be terminated). But then, if THAT is the case, then a dub from a 35mm Dolby source -- if there are no discernible differences in the FX or audio levels at those moments -- would be, acoustically, preferable to my open-air recording.

I'm also curious how the tracks were patched into the cassette deck: L and R alone? I presume he'd have skipped the boom tracks and the surround. Center? And was this on high bias or metal tape?

Also, the film is a few minutes above two hours, so is the final credit music cut off?

David

Author
Time
I'm going on two weeks vacation. If no-one's backed up blitter's tapes by the time I get back, I'll be happy to do it then. I understand belbucus is an audio professional (and compiler of the "best" mono mix recording?), so he would seem like the obvious choice, if he is available.

P.S. Does anyone here live near Rochester, NY or Providence, RI?
Author
Time
I have a very high quality JVC cassette deck (was £450 new) and would be willing to capture this in as high quality as is possible - 24-bit / 96 khz master. I have all the high quality leads as well (I write for a UK Hi-fi magazine) and would be thrilled to be able to do this and preserve it.

Cheers,

- John
Author
Time
I am very interested. I'm a bit backed up with other SW projects (as well as real work), but would be happy to do a transfer for now and make it available (Equipment: Nakamichi MR-1 cassette machines, Apogee converters into ProTools.) John (seventiesfilmnut) also sounds like a good contender for the job. Do we know where the tapes currently reside? (Proximity might be a consideration as I am the Eastern US whereas John appears to across the pond.)

One thing I would like to mention to whomever does a transfer. Check and tweak the playback speed of the cassette machine before you transfer - comparing it to any of the commercially available soundtracks (I always use the '93 mix as a speed reference - mainly because it's the one that accompanies the video that most have been sourcing for their projects.)
Author
Time
Hi!

I think your Nakamchi MR1 deck would probably just have the edge in the sound quality stakes - they really did make the world's best cassette decks. Best to capture it first, then adjust the speed using software. Of course it will be best to clean the heads first, and also to adjust the head asimuth while playing the tapes to get the best treble quality. It varies alot from deck to deck and this is th eonly sure-fire way of getting the best possible transfer.

You can't get much better than those Apogee converters either - I'm envious!!!

Cheers,

- John
Author
Time
Originally posted by: seventiesfilmnut
Best to capture it first, then adjust the speed using software.
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! </Vader>
Speed adjustment should be done in the analog domain.
Although I suppose some digital adjustment might be required if the tapes were recorded on a battery-powered deck.

I fully agree about Nakamichi & Apogee though.

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Darth Mallwalker

Speed adjustment should be done in the analog domain.
Although I suppose some digital adjustment might be required if the tapes were recorded on a battery-powered deck..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed. And regarding speed adjustment, I’m just suggesting to get it in the ballpark. It’s the rare exception that I’ve had a cassette come in that was recorded spot on at 17/8IPS. I’ve seen tapes come in that were as much as 30% fast or slow. And although the software I use for digital varispeeding seems to be very transparent, I can’t imagine it is any more so than a simple adjustment to the playback speed of the analogue.

As to the issue of head azimuth, we treat a cassette master just as we would a reel-to-reel session. We modified one of our MR-1’s way back to make all mechanical and electrical alignments an easy front panel affair. (A stock Nakamichi is notoriously unfriendly when it comes to any kind of user tinkering!)
Author
Time
Wow-- I didn't realize there would be so much interest in these tapes. I was under the impression that the mono mix was the rarest of the three and that these cassettes were worthless. Good thing we kept them around

However, I did want to make sure that I got my facts straight before offering a transfer or maybe even the tapes themselves, just so no one ends up wasting their time on account of some misinformation on my part. I did a bit of online research and fact-checking with both my father and the theatre's other manager at the time and found some more information...

The transfer was done by patching only L and R into a Pioneer cassette deck (not battery powered). The transfer was spread out over multiple sessions since the soundtrack overlaps when a tape flip is made, however the ending credits music is indeed cut off by about 2 minutes or so. The boom tracks were not specifically mixed in but the transfer is pretty bass-y in places (such as certain sound effects and explosions).

I listened to part of the recording done by morgands1 and found some interesting comparisons between my version and his:
- During the shots immediately following Luke's "They're sandpeople all right, I can see one of them now," in the recording you can hear a more defined echo of the cries in the canyon. On my tapes this effect is less pronounced... perhaps the cries were also spread across center and surround channels?
- From SKot in the other 70mm thread:
Right after the Grand Moff Tarkin line that gets cut off, it cuts to the dead Jawa scene... and there is what sounds like a trumpet solo in the soundtrack. It sounded really odd to me, different from what I've heard before, kind of like if someone was playing 'Taps' much too loudly during the scene.
I noticed this as well on the tapes but again, it was less pronounced. Quite possible again that the music was mixed into the center channel.

Here's where everything may very well be a moot point: the theatre in question was the Stuart Theatre in Lincoln NE. My father swears that theatre had to have been equipped for 70mm because according to him, certain films only had so much of the curtains open up to reveal the screen whereas others would open the curtains all the way to reveal the entire screen. The other manager of the theatre claims that only 35mm films were ever shown at that particular theatre. This could mean that the mix I have may in fact not be of the 70mm but instead the 35mm stereo. Mind you, both of these recollections are from 30 years ago, so I can't confirm or deny this as I can't find much information about this theatre online nor is it listed as a theatre where Star Wars was played in 1977 despite its run at the Stuart starting late that year. I saw Episode I at this theatre before it closed down around 2000 and as I recall, the screen was about the same size, maybe only slightly smaller, than the local IMAX cinema near me. Any Lincoln NE natives here to offer input?

Morgands1's recording sounds *much* clearer than my tapes. I think if a transfer were to be made it would be best used as more or less a reference to perhaps recreate a surround mix based on the 35mm mix which we already have. Sort of like de-ANH'ing the film, but applied to the soundtrack?

I've made a transfer from cassette to CD by patching directly into an audio CD burner (best method I can do). I know this is far from the "best" possible transfer but if anyone seriously interested wants a sample to confirm whether or not it would be worth it to transfer the entire soundtrack (the tapes themselves are located in the Chicago area), shoot me a PM with specifics on what you're looking for.
Author
Time
Hahaha I stand corrected then! Just thought if the tapes had to be slowed down in the analogue domain you might risk increased wow & flutter which isn't the case in the digital domain. Also tricky in some cases to adjust playback speed of one's cassette deck. Digital just seems more accurate to me when it comes to speed stability.

Of course the ultimate playback machine for this would be the Nakamichi ZX-7 or Dragon - awsome machines.

- J
Author
Time
Blitter sent me a sample of his recording from the Stuart engagement so I could work up some comparisons with the original 35mm mix and the DC ’93 mix (derived from the 70mm 6-track). I equalized the 3 samples to roughly match one another. They can be found here:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=54CC09C5233B3C5F

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3972BE1324786728

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1DE255E717658F66

I'm quite certain this was from a 35mm print with no matrix decoding (which is why there is dialogue in the left and right channels). In the “70mm” file, one can clearly hear a pronounced explosion from the left channel that is absent from the 35mm file as well as the Stuart file. (This was in the original 6-track as well – not an addition to the “93 mix.)

It's quite possible that the Stuart had 70mm capability at the time, but likely did not have a Dolby processor and were unable to secure a 70mm print (legend has it that only 9 were struck for the initial engagement).
Author
Time
where can I find info about the sound differences in the empire strikes back and return of the jedi?

especially the original theatrical soundtrack versions in 35mm and 70mm.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
Hi,
I listened to the first two files, I have not finished listening to the last file yet. This sounds like the 1993 DE soundtrack, which bolsters some opinions that the '93 THX mix wasn't a new mix at all, but the 70mm 6 track mix. Of course, it is difficult to tell if there are differences to the foley effects, but, overall it represents the '93 THX mix to me. For example, the blockade runner's alarms are the same, Beru's voice is the same, and there is no 3PO tractor beam line!
Kudos to David for doing this 29 years ago, as I would not have even thought to bring a tape recorder into the theater. This is an interesting listen, and an excellent reference.
Scottso1962
Author
Time
IIRC, The 1993 DE soundtrack has all new special effects sounds. The dialouge follows the 35mm/70mm mix. So it doesn't really sound that much different, unless you really listen hard to some of the effects, and even then they worked hard to makie it sound better, but not different. The only source for the different Aunt Beru voice, 3P0 tractor beam line, etc, is the mono mix. Some of the sound elements, such as the 3P0 tractor beam line, was added in for the special edition.
Someone who is more knowledgeable than I on this may correct me, but I think the 35mm and 70mm mixes on Star Was is effectively the same. Now the 70mm track for ESB is different than the 35mm track. The 70mm track is currently unavailable, I think.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Number20
Now the 70mm track for ESB is different than the 35mm track. The 70mm track is currently unavailable, I think.
I've heard it said that the 5.1 track on the '97SE laserdisc is based on the 70mm.

However, in practice you must take into account the “fuckwit factor”. Just talk to Darth Mallwalker…
-Moth3r

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Belbucus
Blitter sent me a sample of his recording from the Stuart engagement so I could work up some comparisons with the original 35mm mix and the DC ’93 mix (derived from the 70mm 6-track). I equalized the 3 samples to roughly match one another. They can be found here:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=54CC09C5233B3C5F

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3972BE1324786728

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=1DE255E717658F66

I'm quite certain this was from a 35mm print with no matrix decoding (which is why there is dialogue in the left and right channels). In the “70mm” file, one can clearly hear a pronounced explosion from the left channel that is absent from the 35mm file as well as the Stuart file. (This was in the original 6-track as well – not an addition to the “93 mix.)

It's quite possible that the Stuart had 70mm capability at the time, but likely did not have a Dolby processor and were unable to secure a 70mm print (legend has it that only 9 were struck for the initial engagement).

So any news on uploading the whole thing? Those links have expired now. Even if it's not the 70mm mix, I'd like it to be uploaded to add to my Star Wars sound mix collection.
Author
Time
Spock, according to what belbucus is saying, it's the dolby stereo mix, so you probably already have it. If not, PM me and I'll point you to a download.
Author
Time
THX, if you're offering to send the original 1977 35mm stereo mix (as featured on the early LDs) then can I please get in on that. Please send me a PM.

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com