logo Sign In

The Secret War of Harry Frigg (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

<span style=“text-decoration: underline;”>The Secret War of Harry Frigg: A Doctor M Preservation</span>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063573/

A preservation of the long out of print Paul Newman comedy/romance/war movie. It is a VHSRip because it has never been released in any other format.

When 5 allied generals are captured in Italy in WW II, it is a propaganda nightmare for the Allies. The generals are all 1 star and refuse to take orders from each other in order to plan an escape. Harry Frigg is a private who has escaped from the guard house dozens of times. He is promoted to Major General (2 stars) and ordered to get the generals out once he is captured. Harry is willing to escape, but then he meets the countess…

Tech Info: The video has been inverse telecined, VHS breakup flaws digitally repaired, and the audio lightly cleaned.

Note: While I have had problems with my cap card and am only 85% pleased with the quality, it’s still quite watchable. There will eventually be a v2, but that’s a long long way off.

As with all preservations here at OT Forums, you would need to PM me for further info.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Well done for completing another worthy fan preservation. I've created a page for it on fanedits.com; feel free to add DVD specs or more information there.

I'd be interested to hear about the filtering you used to clean up the VHS video, and see example screenshots showing raw capture vs. processed.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Didn't do any filtering.  I didn't feel it was necessary (I use a vcr with TBC as recommended by http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/capture/playback.htm ).

Unfortunately, I've been informed this movie got a widescreen transfer in France under the name Evasion sur commande.

I'm looking into turning this into a PAL2NTSC project now.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Oh, when you said "VHS breakup flaws digitally repaired" I assumed you meant by using some kind of AviSynth filter.

Unfortunately, I've been informed this movie got a widescreen transfer in France under the name Evasion sur commande.

Why is that unfortunate? I would have thought you'd be happy that there was a better source available. Or is it unfortunate that you only found out about it after your VHS preservation was complete? :)

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Why is that unfortunate? I would have thought you'd be happy that there was a better source available. Or is it unfortunate that you only found out about it after your VHS preservation was complete? :)

Yup, the latter.

Using the VCR's digital stabilization I played back the break-up portions on slow and captured it.

The digital slow motion frames are less sensitive and only resulted in 1-2 actual unusable frames.

I then decimated it from a variable 150-ish fps back to 23.976... so I suppose fdecimate was used to filter.

I then cut the repaired clips back in using Womble.

Dr. M

Author
Time

Considering that the french release was in april 2008 the US NTSC release should not be far behind right?  You never know considering Newman's passing recently.  Then again if it does not get a release i would not be surprised considering the imdb rating makes this film one of paul newmans duds.  Much more attention is put on Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.