logo Sign In

The Salute of the Jugger: Extended Version (a.k.a The Blood of Heroes) starring Rutger Hauer (1989) (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Recently got my hands on the extended version of The Salute of the Jugger, a very underrated post-apocalyptic sci-fi flick.

Anyone interested in an even more extended version?

The shorter version called The Blood of Heroes in the US runs 90 minutes, has an extra scene that the longer version doesn’t have and ends on a more uplifting ending.
The longer version runs 104 minutes has many scene extensions, longer fight scenes, more character development and a more reflective ending. I much prefer this version.

The sources I have are two Australian DVDs, one of the shorter version (with the Jugger title) and one of the longer version.
I used to have The Blood of Heroes DVD from the US but the picture quality was terrible.

The shorter version has much better picture quality than the extended version so I plan to use the shorter version as the base and add back extended scenes from the other dvd.

Final specs:
<span class=“Bold”>The Salute of the Jugger: Extended Version</span>

• 4:3 Progressive PAL (I believe both discs are open-matte, so you don’t lose any picture information)
  • Dolby Stereo 2.0
  • Runtime: Approx 101 minutes (PAL runtime)

Star Wars 1977-1983

Star Trek 1966-1991

LeoneNut's Edits

YouTube Clips

Author
Time
If they are open matte, why don't you correct this
Author
Time
Originally posted by: iRantanplan
If they are open matte, why don't you correct this

I did think about this, have watched one of them with Zoom set on my widescreen TV and didn't look too bad. Takes up a lot of extra time and disc space converting 4:3 to 16:9 though, then having to recompress etc.
Think I might take the easier option for now

Star Wars 1977-1983

Star Trek 1966-1991

LeoneNut's Edits

YouTube Clips

Author
Time
I LOVE this movie.

Are these Australian DVDs official versions? I know a DVD just came out in Australia not too long ago, so which DVD is the longer version? I just wish this movie had a proper release in anamorphic widescreen. The U.S DVD is balls deep in crap.
I am the Bishop of Battle. Master of all I survey.
Author
Time
I am very interested in this project! I'm also happy with open-matte, especially if it means no recompression.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Bishop
I LOVE this movie.

Are these Australian DVDs official versions? I know a DVD just came out in Australia not too long ago, so which DVD is the longer version? I just wish this movie had a proper release in anamorphic widescreen. The U.S DVD is balls deep in crap.

The two DVDs I have are:
Longer Version from Roadshow (The runtime is incorrect)

and

Shorter version from Force

Star Wars 1977-1983

Star Trek 1966-1991

LeoneNut's Edits

YouTube Clips

Author
Time

Hello all, first post. Apologies for the necro on a dead thread.

I'm working on an edit of this film but I'm after some more information.

I've Edited together the short and long versions into an extended version I call "The Grail of the Jugger".

The Shorter version also has scenes not used or rearranged in the longer version, plus my source of the shorter version had better video.

The Longer version I've sourced has bad video quality but a more complete soundtrack. So I've used it to source the sound but replaced what I could with video from the short version.

I looked into purchasing the German Laserdisc (from the Action box vol 1 boxset) but had to cancel when the seller found out the postage to where I am in Australia was triple what he quoted me. This however is the only version I've found listed as Widescreen. If someone knows more about the German laserdisc I'd love an opinion of how good this would be as a video source. The effort in importing it and getting it professionally ripped needs to be worth it before I consider dealing with that language barrier again.

In the meantime my efforts are going into replacing the score on my extended cut. Although the existing score is really excellent I have something else in mind for my project.

Author
Time

As there doesn't seem to be any interest I'm moving on to other projects.

Here's the first 15 minutes to give a rough idea of what the project was meant to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3DYdIKuDE

I'll revisit it again when I have better video sources and audio software.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I really like this film...

Never heard that music before at the begining..... I would be interested in seeing this though if you ever get around to finishing it off or doing something with it.

Top tip = if you added that music it does not work try to stick with the OST or re-use another track of the OST if you can find it

came across this the other day and might work in this film

Earth Floor by Michael Brook and Brian Eno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35jRNluLBTo

Michael Brook - Skip Wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5YwtoCqno