logo Sign In

Info & Help Wanted: Super Space Fortress Macross LD Preservation

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DYRL movie dubbed into English. Title was changed to ‘Super Space Fortress Macross’.

Toho
1 disc CLV

Does anybody have this laser disc? I’ve been looking all over for it so I can preserve it to DVD.

Author
Time
Do you mean the "Macross: Do You Remember Love?" movie dub retitled "Macross in Clash of the Bionoids" for Celebrity for Kids Video and then Best Video re-released as "Superdimensional Fortress Macross" (with less cuts, iirc)?

http://macross.anime.ru/robotech/clash.jpg
http://www.foundonline.com/robotech/coverart/bionoids.jpg
Author
Time
I want the laser disc I posted a link of the cover. It is a letterbox edition of the movie dubbed in english. I'm not sure if it is the same dub as those VHS releases but it is letterbox and from doing some research I read it was voiced by the original japanese cast as an experiment for learning english. Hopefully someday I can get my hands on it. If anybody knows where I can obtain it your help would be greatly appreciated and I will gladly send out copies to anybody who wants one once the project is completed.
Author
Time
The disc also contains the original japanese language track with english subtitles. An easy way to do this would be to merge the english language dub track with the perfect edition dvd release. I just need that tack.
Author
Time
As far as I know, only the Hong Kong dub exists. It exists as either the heavily mutilated Clash of the Bionoids, or the less edited Macross. If another dub existed I'm sure I'd of heard about it on Macross World or Macross Nexus.

So it should be the same dub. None of the Japanese cast was involved. Where have you read otherwise? I'd be highly interested if such a dub does exist.

Made for IE Forum's Episode III theme month - May 2005.

Author
Time
I'm gonna have to check but I think I still have the Japanese LD.

Of course a Chinese boot has been floating around for years. I know for sure I hace that.
There's good in the Original Trilogy, and it's worth fighting for.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
http://www.myspace.com/harlock415
Author
Time
could'nt you create an english dub using either robotech or the new adv english dub?

The best possible source for macross do you remember love is the japan region 2 dvd release.

that does not have english subtitles but I am sure there are good fansubs out there somewhere.

the only problem with the japan release is it could cost you up to 90.00 us dollars. but it is anamorphic

the official korean release go for something like 20.00 + on yesasia.

the best possible letterbox source is the perfect collection laserdisc.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: skyjedi2005
could'nt you create an english dub using either robotech or the new adv english dub?

Heresey!!

In all seriousness, no. DYRL is a completely new production. While it's the same basic story, the scenes are vastly different. Entire subplots are restructered, dialogue vastly altered. Useing ADV's dub might work had the film been an edit, but it's not. That'd be one major hackjob. Even then, you still wouldn't be able to faithfully do it. The Zentradi also speak Zentran for most of the film.

Robotech would be even worse, since they changed the concept of Protoculture. It wouldn't mesh at all given its importance in the film.

So, no, that's a terrible suggestion, grounded in impossiblity and impracticality.

Thee is a fandub in the works.

Though the japanese cast is pefect any way...

The best possible source for macross do you remember love is the japan region 2 dvd release.

that does not have english subtitles but I am sure there are good fansubs out there somewhere.

Indeed there is. Look for NLA's version. Aside from some minor typos, it's damn near flawless.

the best possible letterbox source is the perfect collection laserdisc.

Actually, it would be the afomentioned DVDs. As you stated, they are anamorphic. Widescreen's better than Letterbox.

Made for IE Forum's Episode III theme month - May 2005.

Author
Time
there is a very rare laserdisc release english dub produced only for japanese consumption, but I have read at least one review that cited their english was not very good.

It was released under the title super space fortress macross.

I have only seen it pop up on ebay once so it is a rare title indeed I don't think it is even in the laserdisc database.

A guy named takabe 55 had one on ebay but he sold it to someone for like 400.00 bucks! way too pricey for me .

I would prefer if it was ever released in the united states to have a english dub but that will likely never happen, even an official release with subtitles in japanese uncut for region 1.

there is another title not offcially released on dvd that has been disowned for supposedly being crap I've never seen it though. Robotech the movie: the untold story was released in theaters and shown on canadian television and even a rare pal vhs tape was released in the u.k. I guess it uses footages from megazone 23 and genesis climber.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
I have Robotech the Movie, and all it is is Megazone 23. Someone put a "screener" on demonoid a few weeks ago and I pulled it that night. It included the trailer and a music video as well. The copy I have looks like a 2nd or 3rd gen vhs rip, and it has a "For Screening Purposes Only" mark on the bottom, if I remember correctly. I'm a huge fan of the Dirty Pair fandubs (and even have a dvd I made of copies I got of them years ago), and I literally fell over laughing then I saw that there WAS a character called B.D. Andrews in Robotech the Movie (who was the villan is the 2nd Fandub ep).

That dubbed LD was the one done for japanese to learn english, like the old Porco Roso dub, isn't it? The japanese have a habit of doing that, making dubs for stuff just so they can learn the english language (or including subs, like on the FLCL dvds for eps 2-6). They would run the jap-produced eng dub on flights around and from the country, in the expectation of business men to pick up parts of the english language, or to give them a refesher course. It's actually a good concept if you think about it.

Speaking of Porco Roso, was the jap-produced dub on the official r2 dvd? I know that it was supposed to be on an older LD, but I haven't checked on the LD.

Part of me is thinking of taking my vhs copy (rental SLP tape to my old SLP tape) of Warriors of the Wind and putting it on dvd just for the hell of it. But I can't bring myself to do anything with the bastardization of my 2nd favorite movie of all time (#1 goes to Casablanca).

I've got better things to do tonight than die! - Springer, Transformers the Movie

Author
Time
The R2 Porcco Rosso did have an English dub and subtitles on it s did many other Studio Ghibli discs. But I believe the dub cast is different from th R1 cast. Just like they changed the dub cast for Laputa, Castle in the Sky. The R2 and R1 of Kikki's Delivery Service was unchanged however.

I have the latest fansub of Macross DYRL downloaded either from ADC or BitHQ and it's really good quality and DL, which also made into DVD5 with Rebuilder. I would have to do some diggng,but it is possible I have a VHS copy of Clash of th Bionoids in storage.
There's good in the Original Trilogy, and it's worth fighting for.
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
http://www.myspace.com/harlock415
Author
Time
I know that the r2 Totoro and R2 Kiki have the english dubs from the 1990s, and Nausicaa only has it in japanese (I own the Nausicaa set). Laputa has the streamline dub, if I remember correctly. I kind of wish that Disney with the Ghibli films (as well as Geneon with Akira) did what Media Blasters and CPM did with their Giant Robo/Ghall Force dvds and include the original English Dub on the dvds, since they are drastically different. One of the reasons I really really like the GR dvds is for this reason.

I haven't seen Clash of the Bionoids in years, so if you could hunt it down, that'd be great.

The DYRL I have is the HK r0 dvd I got a while back that is nothing more then the R2 Jap dvd. the subs are good, which is strange for an HK dvd. lol.

I've got better things to do tonight than die! - Springer, Transformers the Movie

Author
Time
I'm pretty sure I have a VHS copy of Clash of the Bionoids as well. If you can't find yours, I can probably lend mine out to someone to do a DVD preservation of it (I unfortunately don't have the time to do something like that properly).
F Scale score - 3.3333333333333335

You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.

Pissing off Rob since August 2007.
Author
Time
I have a copy of the Clash of the Bionoids version as well, that I VHS -> DVDed. Though, from what I remember, it's heavily edited.

I wanted to propose this project for a long while, though. This, and maybe re-created Robotech the Movie with Megazone. Though, I guess we'd need to find the Japanese LD with the newly animated footage for the ending.

The R0 bootleg of DYRL you mention is the result of some fans getting in contact with the bootleggers and working with them to give them a decent script, etc. As far as bootlegs go, it's very good. The font is like Times New Roman instead of arial though, right? They also did the same thing with Read or Die, and something else I can't recall.

I'm surprised no one ever did a preservation of Castle of Cagliostro's Streamline dub. From what I hear, it's far superior than the new Manga one, if only for the fact that that version is loaded with cussing, and the original isn't. The original also has Bob Bergen (the current voice of Porky Pig) as Lupin. That's not as weird as it sounds. It's my favorite: I imported the Disney R2 of it just so I could get that dub. Did anyone ever suceed in syncing the Streamline Akira with the current R1?

And... I always wanted to see the DP fandubs. I have a copy of 'This is Otakudom' somewhere.
Author
Time
Kushami-

I have Robotech the Movie dubbed, as well as those DP fandubs. Email me and I'll see about getting things your way.

Didn't know that the r2 Cagliostro dvd had the old Streamline on it....interesting.....

Author
Time
is not the streamline dub of castle of cagliostro available on VHS here in the states?

i'm pretty surprised there is not a preservation thread just for the streamline dubs that are not on dvd there are plenty of them.

You would'nt have to preserve the vhs/laserdisc/ordvd video either just rip and upload them as audio files if you had the equipment and nohow which I do not.

the only problems I could foresee is that the audio might not sync properly with the remastered region 1 releases that come without those streamline dubs, but there is probalbly software to fix that.

I have begged and pleaded on these forums for someone to preserve akira criterion special edition CAV laserdisc release as the audio is superior to that on the region 2 fullscreen or region 4 australian dvd's. Plus it does not suffer from pal speedup or heavy compression. (this is only a worthwhile project if someone has an ac3 rf out equiped laserdisc player of good quality and can capture the full bitrate pcm off the discs) otherwise just get the foreign release rip the audio and fix it for ntsc consumption or bear with the speed up problems and no nothing.

The greencapt project has unofficially been abandoned any takers?

Some of the streamline dubs are included in the ghibli laserdisc box set I own I just do not have the equipment to capture the audio. Plus they are only monoural so if you could find them on any region 2 dvd in stereo that is your best bet.

How awful is the english dub on warriors of the wind is it even worth preserving?