logo Sign In

SUSPIRIA with original sountrack in PCM! Duel Layer (Released)

This topic has been locked by a moderator.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I truly despise what Anchor Bay did with the soundtrack to SUSPIRIA. They took the greatest stereo surround track ever and remixed it so badly that it bore no resemblance to what was in theaters and on laserdisc. I won’t go into details, but compared to the Image laserdisc, the DD5.1 and DTS tracks were sh!t. Not to mention the 2.0 track on the DVD was just a downmix of the new remix.

So, a friend of mine and I finally got around to taking care of this problem. The DVD has a sensational transfer. The Laserdisc had a sensational PCM soundtrack. So we combined the two using Final Cut Pro. It was a BITCH because there were numerous cases of a frame or two missing from the beginning of shots on the DVD. That meant lots of resyncing. Oh well. Them’s the breaks.

We included the POS DD5.1 soundtrack from the DVD so you can switch back and forth and hear the difference.

In order to keep the picture quality 100% and fit PCM and 5.1 tracks we had to go duel layer. I do not care what anyone says, but you can notice compression on these fan edits. I have a 95 inch projection system and even A+ Studio releases show the limitations of the DVD format.

Layer changes are a bitch right now. It’s hard to get them right. We were close on our master, but it is not the best of changes. Do not worry, it will not come with dialogue or action.

By the way, there was enough room to include the Anchor Bay documentary on the film, even with the bit rate maxed for pic & sound on the main feature.

This is the first fan-edit that I have offered up to the general public. I am asking that people respect my wishes and not take it, compress it and then hand out single layer versions. Please, we worked too hard and want to keep it as is.

Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Matt_Stevens
I truly despise what Anchor Bay did with the soundtrack to SUSPIRIA. They took the greatest stereo surround track ever and remixed it so badly that it bore no resemblance to what was in theaters and on laserdisc. I won't go into details, but compared to the Image laserdisc, the DD5.1 and DTS tracks were sh!t. Not to mention the 2.0 track on the DVD was just a downmix of the new remix.

So, a friend of mine and I finally got around to taking care of this problem. The DVD has a sensational transfer. The Laserdisc had a sensational PCM soundtrack. So we combined the two using Final Cut Pro. It was a BITCH because there were numerous cases of a frame or two missing from the beginning of shots on the DVD. That meant lots of resyncing. Oh well. Them's the breaks.

We included the POS 2.0 soundtrack from the DVD so you can switch back and forth and hear the difference.

In order to keep the picture quality 100% and fit PCM and 2.0 tracks we had to go duel layer. I do not care what anyone says, but you can notice compression on these fan edits. I have a 95 inch projection system and even A+ Studio releases show the limitations of the DVD format.

Layer changes are a bitch right now. It's hard to get them right. We were close on our master, but it is not the best of changes. Do not worry, it will not come with dialogue or action.

This is the first fan-edit that I have offered up to the general public. I am asking that people respect my wishes and not take it, compress it and then hand out single layer versions. Please, we worked too hard and want to keep it as is.

Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

I'm interested, but I do not have a DL burner just yet... i have the original dvd though... the limited edition (i think its 3 disc, not sure... been so long since i've watched it!)

I hope to get this whenever I get a DL burner!! thanks for doing it!
Author
Time
I would be interested too
DJ
Author
Time
Hey Matt, sounds great ! feel free to email me.
Author
Time
If interested, you really need to turn PM's or email on. That's you, Stamper.

If anyone wants to post this to you know where for all the public to see, feel free. Just please give credit where credit is due.
Author
Time
I would love to see this. My friend sat me down to watch this a couple of years ago after years of me wanting to see it. So excited was I, and in dts too! As soon as it began all my friend could do was point out how weird it sounded and that things seemed to be missing. So disappointing considering how important the sound is to this film power.
Author
Time
Matt,this is kick ass,i got it today and watched a little,i will watch the whole thing this weekend,you are right there is a huge difference in sound,thanks you very much.
fantastic job
DJ

OH and dont worry i will not compress to SL
Author
Time

Would someone mind telling me how I go about aquiring this release? Susperia is my favourite Argento movie and I too have the three disc AB release. While I do love it, any fan created improvements would be nice to hear. Thanks.
Author
Time
Boomstick, just PM Matt. (Click on the padlock icon over his post.)

"So we combined the two using Final Cut Pro. It was a BITCH because there were numerous cases of a frame or two missing from the beginning of shots on the DVD. That meant lots of resyncing. Oh well. Them's the breaks."

Was this difficult? In Vegas, I can load both soundtracks, and visually line them up using the waveforms (and then listen to check for sync.) When I was comparing the Def. Col. and Faces soundtracks, I played them simultaneously through my headphones, one in the left channel and one in the right.

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
why would anyone need PCM sound, when it is just a waste of space.
Author
Time
Uh, ask anyone who owns the laserdisc, or who has this version and they will disagree with you completely. The PCM of the laserdisc blows the DD5.1 and DTS DVD away. It isn't even close. Not to mention the DVD is missing music and sound effects throughout and is mixed incorrectly.

Anyone who wants this just PM me.
Author
Time
"why would anyone need PCM sound, when it is just a waste of space."

Because quality counts for something. Your audio CDs use PCM sound. Got any complaints? (Vinyl owners need not respond. )

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time
I think PCM is old age. Using a bitrate of 448 I don't think anyone realises a difference to AC3. But maybe some of the freaks here do. Anyway, I do like to download stuff, so I care for downloadable sizes. Also I consider dual layers to expensive still, so I think it is nice and very sufficient to pack highest possible quality on a single layer DVD. Besides Suspiria is a Dario Argento movie and those were never famous for their sound quality, were they?

And one more thing... a short while ago I read "2.0 Dolby Surround" Now how is it possible to have surround sound with only 2 channels?
Author
Time
Look, I do not want to come across as rude here and I am not, but you do not know what you are talking about when it comes to AC3 vs PCM.

And Argento's SUSPIRIA is famous for it's expertly mixed surround track. It has the best sound mix of any Argento film, by far. Great care was taken creating it. Anyone that cannot tell the difference between the PCM track and the scewed up remix is deaf.
Author
Time
I smell a new troll 'round these parts.

I used to be very active on this forum. I’m not really anymore. Sometimes, people still want to get in touch with me about something, and that is great! If that describes you, please email me at [my username]ATgmailDOTcom.

Hi everybody. You’re all awesome. Keep up the good work.

Author
Time
I do not mean to compare any original remix to another original remix and I bet you are right there. Still I think I could not tell the difference if the PCM was encoded to high bitrate ac3. That's it. Nevermind being rude or not, I am only discussing, no harm done. Call me an ignorant and you are right in almost 98% of anything.
Author
Time
Billy, I guarantee you anyone can tell the difference between original PCM and PCM converted to AC3. I have blind tested people with this using STAR WARS and without faily they always picked PCM as the better track.
Author
Time
Matt, you sound so cinvincingly... I guess I am convinced.

(what else could I say now anyway)
Author
Time
Well, just watch this thread. Anyone who gets my Suspiria PC version will be able to tell you what they think.
Author
Time
Anyone who wants this, please just email me at... mattstevens @ deceptions . net

The PM service here is really annoying, as you all know.
Author
Time
The PCM was definitely worth it. It sounds awesome, at times like a completely different film. Even seemingly minor changes like omitting the screams of the witches over the end credits often change the entire tone of scenes.

Great work Matt! The disc worked flawlessly for me.
Author
Time
Awesome. That's what I want to hear. Glad you liked it.
Author
Time

just got my copy today

thanks Matt!
from what i have seen so far, Matt has done a better job than Anchor Bay! the transfer of both audio and visual is superb!
give your self a pat on the back Matt for a job well done!

Join the dark side… and get a free cookie!

Author
Time
By the way, if I forgot to email the cover art for this to anyone, please just say so and I will take care of it for you.

Last week I talked to a professional DVD sound mixer and he complimented me on this version and said Anchor Bay should hire me, so that was kind of cool. Most of the credit goes to my partner on this project. He's the final cut expert. Right now he and I are cutting my 2nd short film and want to do a few other Argento films when we have the time (all duel layer)...

DEEP RED: Original end credits included as an alternate angle. DD5.1 remix and Original Mono soundtrack in PCM from the laserdisc (but we will need to find the Japanese laserdiscs for that).

TENEBRAE: Anamorphic transfer, uncut, with the original soundtrack and the DD5.1 remix.

And of course, I still want to do the DUNE project, but my God, it is just so fricken HUGE.