logo Sign In

Escape From New York [spoRv] *BD-25 RELEASED*

Author
Time
 (Edited)

_,,,^..^,,,_ presents Escape from New York [spoRv] - special preserved or Restored version

| Released projects | Projects in progress | Future projects | Mission & Setup |

Mission: to restore John Carpenter's Escape from New York widest image, plus original soundtrack and commentary.

Video sources: HDTV broadcast.

Audio sources: uncompressed PCM original soundtrack, captured directly from Collector's Edition laserdisc, along with commentary; other soundtracks from BD and DVD.

Subtitles sources: to reflect soundtracks.

Project info:

Personally, "Escape from New York" is one of my favourite movies; after I discovered that the EU Blu-ray is really bad, and the US Blu-ray is very dark, I began to search a better alternative; I found that the HDTV version broadcasted by HDNet is maybe the best compromise. The HDTV will be used as video source.

Plus, the Collector's Edition laserdisc will be used to add the original soundtrack and the commentary.

Source Material

Video:

• Escape from New York - HDTV HDNet

Audio:

Subtitles:

• English, French, German, Italian, Spanish.

Final format: BD-25

Video:

• x264 1920x1080, 23.976fps, 26mbps

Audio:

• English DTS-HD MA 1509kbps 5.1 16bit 48kHz - from Blu-ray
  • English AC3 384kbps 5.1 16bit 48kHz - from HDTV
  • English PCM 1536kbps 2.0 16bit 48kHz Dolby Surround - from PCM LD
  • French AC3 192kbps 2.0 16bit 48kHz Dolby Surround - from DVD
  • German AC3 192kbps 2.0 16bit 48kHz Dolby Surround - from PCM LD
  • Italian AC3 192kbps 2.0 16bit 48kHz Dolby Surround - from DVD
  • Spanish AC3 192kbps 2.0 16bit 48kHz Dolby Surround - from DVD
  • English AC3 192kbps 2.0 16bit 48kHz commentary - from DVD; originally from LD
  • English AC3 192kbps 2.0 16bit 48kHz commentary - from DVD

Subtitles:

• English
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Spanish

Notes:

• Main animated menu, static soundtrack and subtitle settings menu, static chapters menu
  • Blu-ray custom made outside and inside covers, plus disc label; 32 chapters; restored theatrical trailer
  • Tested on Playstation 3 (two different models)

"Partner in crime":

• TheAluminumFalcon to provide me .torrent link for a video source
  • Stamper for the french soundtrack and the english, french and spanish subs
  • anonymous for the english and german laserdisc soundtracks
  • CatBus, for help about subtitles

Additional credits:

• THE LAST JOHNY ON THE LEFT for the animated video used for BD menu

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ATTENTION: The following is an explanation of the "slice technique" I intended to use for this project; however, after a lot of tests, I decided to NOT use it, because it's really difficult and time consuming to do it - albeit not impossible...

I add some quoted test here to let latest visitors to understand something more:

From the first post (deleted now):

Then, I realized that there are slight differences in cropping between the HDTV and the Blu-ray; one has more details on one side, while less on the other side, and vice versa. So I thought to join them together, to obtain the widest image possible. Indeed, it's only a mere 3% wider than any version, but I much prefer a 100% wide image Vs a "mere" 97%... (^^,)

The HDTV will be used as main source; the BD will be color regraded to match the HDTV version, then a "slice" will be joined to the HDTV video.

...but, as I was not sure, I included also this (deleted as well, as there is no reason to leave it there):

ATTENTION! This is my first attemp to this kind of things, so I'm not sure of the final result! If it will not work well, only the "plain" HDTV video will be used as source.

Screenshot of the first test clip could be found into this post - test clip could be downloaded here.

From post #41:

I regret to inform you that I decided to NOT use the "slice technique"; despite the fact the technique itself is working - and I showed it in this very thread - it's really hard and time-consuming to reach a perfect color and position matching; I discovered that in many shots, the first one or two frames in the HDTV wobbling, with variable spacial width and direction, and small color variations, making almost impossible to find out proper spacial and color settings to do a perfect match... I'm really sorry, because first tests were quite good!

EXAMPLE:

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com

Author
Time
Yes, the US Blu-ray is mastered too dark unfortunately.  I think I first dvr'd the film off of HDNet around 2006 and was always impressed by their effort.  Good stuff and one of the best action dystopia flicks ever made.  Andrea, you're really giving Carpenter's work the magic treatment.  Between The Thing, Halloween and Escape From New York I don't think it gets any better.  You are one hell of a film historian man.  These are all very welcome additions to the archive of legendary cinema.  Thank you!  I have the Special Edition double disc set and the US BD if you have any need of those materials.  Greatly appreciate all the hard work and this will be another great project.  Rock on, dude.
Author
Time
 (Edited)

I need german and french soundtracks - PCM from laserdisc will be perfect, but from DVD or BD will do as well; I have the english, italian and spanish ones. Also, subtitles in all the five main languages will be very appreciated!

First tests will begin next week, maybe just tomorrow.

Author
Time

Awesome. Can't wait for you Mad Max 2 colors restored too!

Author
Time

Will send your way the french mix.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, thank you very much to all!

Stamper, I'm waiting for your french soundtrack.

JetrellFo... could I hope in a DTS Cinema soundtrack? Please... (^^,) was joking, I know there were no DTS at the time...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I was at my buddy's new house last night and he just got Direct TV.  He has HDNet Movies and my cable system got in a fight with Mark Cuban years ago and dropped that channel.  It really gets me that we can no longer get it.  HDNet is a great movie channel.  I have MGM HD and that's pretty good too for rare films not on Blu-ray.  Escape From New York on HDNet was great because it had the right balance of color and brightness without going too far on either front.  The US BD is just too dark and you have to turn up your display's brightness to see all the information in the frame.  The color is actually pretty good, but I always dug that HDNet broadcast of the film.  This is going to be great to have the best presentation possible of EFNY.  Really looking forward to this one!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

FIRST TEST CLIP

comparison between the BD and the [spoRv] version; 120MB, 1920x1080, AC3 5.1, 8000kbps

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nn318f

Here you are the comparison screenshots:

Both BD and HDTV colors, brightness and contrast are untouched. I much prefer HDTV both for colors and overall image; even if it's more grainy, well, it's more... grainy? You know what I mean, right? (^^,)

I'm waiting for your comments!

Author
Time
That's great looking work, Andrea.  Now you can actually see what's happening without having to adjust the brightness on your display.  If you have a calibrated set-up, you'll notice that you have to do this for the US BD.  I think it's great that you've actually expanded the scope of the frame as well.  Awesome results there.  It looks like a proper balance to me with the best of both worlds.  Great stuff!
Author
Time
EFNY was just broadcast today on AMC in HD and they actually presented the film in its correct aspect ratio.  Looks like they're using the master from the 2003 Special Edition DVD set, as it's nowhere near as dark as the later US BD but still has great color.  Strangely, they even edited out the shot where The Duke applies pressure to the arrow in Snake's leg to get him to talk.  Seems like a bit of overkill on behalf of AMC censors... what's the big deal?  They also removed the scene where the punk gang roughs up the girl.  Nowadays I figured they'd just pixilate her boobs but they cut it altogether.  The real joke is when they show movies like Scarface and half the film is missing.
Author
Time

this looks pretty good. looks like i can dump my hdnet capture :-)))

Author
Time

Awesome job very impressed Andrea!

Author
Time

Thank you all very much!

I tested further; second test clip needed different settings for different shots; just four settings works for the whole test, but I'm quite sure I have to find several other settings that will work for the whole movie... nevertheless, first results are promising:

(OK, here sky is violet instead of blue... but for the final release it will also be possible to invert color grading, mantaining the wider picture.)

Author
Time

It looks like there's more image at the bottom in some shots on the Blu-ray. Will you adjust that too?

How about using the Blu-ray as the main source and just adjusting the colors, instead of using the HDTV?

Author
Time
The HDNet broadcast used the exact same frame as the 2003 Special Edition, I believe.  The BD was reframed slightly.  I really don't know which is closer to the original theatrical presentation but I guess at this point it's just personal preference.
Author
Time

Flexicon9 said:

The HDNet broadcast used the exact same frame as the 2003 Special Edition, I believe.  The BD was reframed slightly.  I really don't know which is closer to the original theatrical presentation but I guess at this point it's just personal preference.

This must be the version I just found my backup discs to, this is what I like to see, not to dark, and not way to bright.

Author
Time

Stamper said:

It looks like there's more image at the bottom in some shots on the Blu-ray. Will you adjust that too?

Is not possible to use it, as the small "slice" on the bottom of the HDTV is missing... like the following example:

see the missing piece in the bottom right? Unless there is some method to "invent" the missing piece using surrounding images...

How about using the Blu-ray as the main source and just adjusting the colors, instead of using the HDTV?

ColourMatch is good, but not perfect; so, it's better to use the untouched HDTV for 97% and the ColourMatch'ed BD for the 3% slice than using the ColourMatch'ed BD for the 97% of the whole image and HDTV for the 3% slice... got the point?

Author
Time
Yeah, it looks great to me.  If it ends up being framed slightly differently, that wouldn't bother me.  It seems very balanced overall.
Author
Time

Yes, thanks, it's pretty clear :) So in essence we will get here an HDTV version on steroids :)

Author
Time

Brilliant work, now i can get rid of the terrible U.K. Blu Ray. 

Author
Time
That UK disc was a contrast boosted green mess.  The HDNet broadcast is a masterpiece compared to that disc.
Author
Time

I got about 40 minutes into the U.K. Blu Ray and had to turn it off, it's a horrible screwed up mess. Cant wait until this project is finished so i can finally watch John Carpenter's best movie in HD.