logo Sign In

team negative1 - star wars 1977 - 35mm theatrical version (Released) — Page 87

Author
Time

I care absolutely nothing about all of this (although I do find TV's Frink's posts about it very funny)

The only thing I care about is seeing the original trilogy restored in a proper format and if the person/people, (whatever) working on it can have a bit more peace of mind by not revealing their identity, (whether the paranoia is valid or not) then give them a friggin' break.

Nobody cared that Santa Claus wasn't real either, as long as they got the friggin' presents.

And I can't wait until it's Christmas.

Author
Time

Lasz said:

Nobody cared that Santa Claus wasn't real either, as long as they got the friggin' presents.

I think you mean Team Santa Claus.

Harrison Ford Has Pretty Much Given Up on His Son. Here's Why

Author
Time

Stinky-Dinkins said:

Lasz said:

I think you mean Team Santa Claus.

lol, obviously... :P

Author
Time

Hey, spoiler alert on that Anta-say Aus-clay isn't eal-ray thing!

Team Olie

Author
Time
 (Edited)

towne32 said:

Are you saying the ruse is that negative1 is no longer a part of the project (I think virtually everyone is in agreement about that...), or that there is indeed mid-to-large size group working on this stuff, rather than just one guy? Aspects of their updates and progress do suggest to me that it's a team.

It's no secret that -1 worked closely with other people long before the team identity was dreamed up, don't see any reason to suggest that this has changed.  There was already a team before the Team.

I'm kind of on the fence about caring about this. On the one hand, I think deception is unnecessary and strange. On the other hand, as far as I can tell it is 100% about privacy concerns and/or paranoia than a need to trick people. As people have pointed out, there is no real privacy when it comes to Disney/law/anyone who cares to really figure it out. But if it's only a silly motive, and not a malicious one, I don't quite see what's offensive about it. Most people would probably be dishonest to received credit for something they haven't done rather than exactly the opposite.

Well, part of it certainly is the futility of the act, and part of it is the quality of the acting. I haven't seen anything so transparent since Monty Python's North Minehead by-election skit. If I'm going to have to sit through that sort of act, I want at least that much entertainment value (no offense to Frink).

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

Stinky-Dinkins said:

Because if -1 is no longer on Team -1 (and he's not, they said so), but Team -1 continues his work and is now imitating his posting style perfectly - there's only one conclusion I can make. The sincerest form of flattery:

Murder.

Shows what you know. When the team decides to name the team solely after the member that doesn't want to be implicated, it makes it almost impossible to figure out who the man behind the curtain is. Listen, if you were working on a project that made you nervous, the first thing you'd want to do to throw them off your trail is the change your user account from ww12345 to Team ww12345.... then it's like checkmate, suckers!

...although I have to admit, this post comes close to making it worthwhile.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

CatBus said:

towne32 said:

Are you saying the ruse is that negative1 is no longer a part of the project (I think virtually everyone is in agreement about that...), or that there is indeed mid-to-large size group working on this stuff, rather than just one guy? Aspects of their updates and progress do suggest to me that it's a team.

It's no secret that -1 worked closely with other people long before the team identity was dreamed up, don't see any reason to suggest that this has changed.  There was already a team before the Team.

I'm kind of on the fence about caring about this. On the one hand, I think deception is unnecessary and strange. On the other hand, as far as I can tell it is 100% about privacy concerns and/or paranoia than a need to trick people. As people have pointed out, there is no real privacy when it comes to Disney/law/anyone who cares to really figure it out. But if it's only a silly motive, and not a malicious one, I don't quite see what's offensive about it. Most people would probably be dishonest to received credit for something they haven't done rather than exactly the opposite.

Well, part of it certainly is the futility of the act, and part of it is the quality of the acting. I haven't seen anything so transparent since Monty Python's North Minehead by-election skit. If I'm going to have to sit through that sort of act, I want at least that much entertainment value (no offense to Frink).

We take offense on his behalf.

Team Olie

Author
Time

Far be it from me to spread rumors, but I've *never* seen Frink and -1 together in the same room...

Author
Time

We have.  It was mildly disappointing to 72% of us.

Team Olie

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Stinky-Dinkins said:

Shows what you know. When the team decides to name the team solely after the member that doesn't want to be implicated, it makes it almost impossible to figure out who the man behind the curtain is.

This is exactly why we're using the pseudonym "Team Stinky-Dinkins" when we release our preservation of Song of the South, using original negatives "borrowed" from the Disney ranch.

Team Frink

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Here's a comparison of the first few minutes of the films. Ours was not restored, so there is a large difference with the faded Eastman crawl.

But this will give you an idea of the cleanup involved.

========================================

Videoclip

==============

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k79GFukKkCmZO4bNQ8r

The rest of the comparisons are here:

======================

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Comparison-of-GOUT-JSE-SE-laserdisc-vs-35mm/post/741035/#TopicPost741035

Team Negative1

Author
Time
 (Edited)

team_negative1, I've been meaning to ask a few questions...Edit: Removed 1st question because I got my answer already.

I also wanted to ask if you guys maybe had the plans to release the 1080p version later with the cue marks removed as well. I remember you stating that you are leaving them in and I'm sure a ton of the fans would want them left out. You could release them without cue marks and have it titled like Star Wars 1977 Theatrical ver 2.0 or whatever. You get the point. I ask because it seems a darn shame to leave in those cue marks that are a big distraction, with the rest of the restorations looking so damn good. I'm not against leaving the cue marks in, but I'd like a second version without them too. Thanks.

EDIT: I kept going back many, many pages and eventually found the answer. Must have missed it when it was 1st posted.

Author
Time

Oh no, don't get "them" started on 4k.

Team Olie

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV's Frink said:

Oh no, don't get "them" started on 4k.

Team Olie

Why not? Do they get all twisted-up about it or something? haha

Author
Time

crampedmisfit1990 said:

I ask because it seems a darn shame to leave in those cue marks that are a big distraction, with the rest of the restorations looking so damn good.

So do you never go to the theatre?

I'm sure if they bother you that much, it would be pretty easy to edit them out yourself; it's only, what, 12 frames that require minor editing?

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

crampedmisfit1990 said:

Because it's not scanned in 4k. Read the thread.

[ Scanning stuff since 2015 ]

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Asaki said:

crampedmisfit1990 said:

I ask because it seems a darn shame to leave in those cue marks that are a big distraction, with the rest of the restorations looking so damn good.

So do you never go to the theatre?

I'm sure if they bother you that much, it would be pretty easy to edit them out yourself; it's only, what, 12 frames that require minor editing?

Yes, I go to theatres, but in a home video (even if custom) I'd like them removed. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, because I love the work being done and I know it is very hard, time consuming and expensive. I just thought they might be interested in making a version without these cue marks. I mean, it shouldn't take the pros very much time at all to remove them. The cue marks don't bother me to an extent that I can't stand it, I just think it would look much better without them... I know quite a few members on this thread have already voiced this same opinion as me, I saw them pages back. Heck, maybe they should take a vote on removing the cues marks, that'd be interesting. haha

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RU.08 said:

crampedmisfit1990 said:

Because it's not scanned in 4k. Read the thread.

I have been reading the thread for a long time, but I must have missed that particular conversation. It is hard to keep up with some of these threads because if you miss a day or two on this site there are so many pages to read.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thanks for the comments. We have no plans to remove the cue marks, since we are also leaving in other damage and marks in the film.

It's 8 frames per reel, so a total of 40 frames. We're sure someone will update them, along with other fixes.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

We have rescanned parts of the film for replacement shots at 4k. They are downsampled to match the resolution of the rest of the print.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

The cue marks are not a huge deal, just asking. Thank you for the answers.

Author
Time

If I may ask a question that could possibly have been answered already:

Are your scans being captured with a color profile so that it "looks right" directly off the bat, or are they being captured with a flat color profile (i.e. darks look too bright and brights look too dark)?  

Some of the clips you've been posting look abnormally dark, and I'm hoping that's due to a quick and dirty color correction, and that it isn't baked in, because if it was scanned that way, those darks will be really hard to correct, while if it was captured with a flat profile, the contrast can be pushed or pulled back as much as needed without sacrificing information.