logo Sign In

team negative1 - star wars 1977 - 35mm theatrical version (Released) — Page 55

Author
Time

Thanks again for all the comments.

Here is the last of the preview clips:

==========================

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k1Rt12wVMyXxdD8iFER

It takes quite awhile to do each segment, so that's why there's a delay in posting them. They are done scene by scene.

We'll try to post a longer composite clip once more people respond.

Thanks for your patience.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

Just curious about why some shots (for instance the final shot of the last clip that has stormtroopers watching the Falcon flying) looks like half the film grain is brown? Is that dirt, a color correction issue, a brightness issue or did it look that murky to begin with?

Author
Time

I get a similar effect when the light source in the scanner is off axis, causing one side of the film to get dirty looking grain. Might be something different here though.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

I can see the progress and the journey. I can't wait to have this. Thank you for your hard work. I know there is still much to be done, but what you have shown has be excited to watch.

Author
Time

rchdggr said:

Just curious about why some shots (for instance the final shot of the last clip that has stormtroopers watching the Falcon flying) looks like half the film grain is brown? Is that dirt, a color correction issue, a brightness issue or did it look that murky to begin with?

That's the way the clip looks like on film. We have not done any correction on it. If we can find a cleaner replacement for the shot, we will use that.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

I noticed that the graininess of the shot of the Falcon leaving Mos Eisley has been addressed before here:

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Star-Wars-Colortiming-Cinematography-was-What-changes-was-done-to-STAR-WARS-in-93/post/584251/#TopicPost584251

A possible culprit being a pair of pantyhose over the lense!

The shot is very grainy and dark/dusk-y on GOUT too but it does not look "dirty". I don't mean dirty as in dirt and speckles on film, more like as if it is projected on a dirty, nicotine-stained wall or something. The sky looks like it is made of blotches of blue and brown. I think there was a clip of Luke in the speeder that had a similar "brown grain" look to it.

It only stands out in 1080, anything less and it sorta blends in, giving a nice warm feel to it but in 1080 it's a bit obtrusive.

Oh, and regarding the "stilts scene" with Luke and Ben walking in Mos Eisley, it really is blown out. The wall on the right-hand side has more detail on GOUT and at the back you can see a cyan/magenta sky through the two corridors instead of the white/off-white background we see in team_negative1's clip.

Author
Time

team_negative1 said:

rchdggr said:

That's the way the clip looks like on film. We have not done any correction on it. If we can find a cleaner replacement for the shot, we will use that.

Team Negative1

Thanks for the reply. Poita's reply and the fact that there is something wrong with the exposure of the stilt scene got me wondering if the Falcon shot would look better with different exposure levels.

But if the film itself looks exactly like that to begin with then I guess thats that.

Author
Time

I did read somewhere that some film elements tend to turn brownish/orange, could this be the case of the print used for the Mos Eisley scenes? If yes, then I guess that should be countered during color correction? It does look like something inherent in the film to me instead of actual dirt.

Author
Time

rchdggr said:

The sky looks like it is made of blotches of blue and brown.

I've noticed the "brown grain" in a lot of films from that time period, I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

"Brown grain" seems to be a telltale sign of multi-generation duping, particularly in the late 70s/early 80s. I was just watching The Great Muppet Caper on HDNet Movies, and the opening credits (with the hot air balloon) showed a blue sky full of "brown" grain.

That Stormtrooper shot was duped to add in the Falcon, and it was diffused, and it was filmed in standard Panavision rather than VistaVision, so it makes sense that it would look grainier.

Author
Time

Usually I just post nonsense about good old -1, but I'm actually curious about something.  Can you guys post some images of the prints running through your new scanning process?  Not the output, but the actual reels being processed?  That would be pretty cool.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don't actually have a picture of our current setup, but also due to privacy issues, we can't actually post our setup.

We were able to get some used equipment.

Basically, it takes something like this:

==========================

And attaches our HD capture device camera on a mount to record the output digitally to a hard drive for later processing.

Sorry, I can't give out more details. Maybe later on, when we are nearer to completion.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

If I'm allowed to ask, the old blog used to have completion rates for every single one of the reels, which gave us a good idea of the progress. Would it be possible for you to give us an update on this?

Ignorant of many things, but still a real bro.

Author
Time

Yes, we'll try to update the progress on the reels. Thanks for the interest.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

How would pictures of the setup compromise your privacy?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Here are our estimates, except for reel 4.

=============================

Reel 1: 18%
Reel 2: 100%
Reel 3: 66%
Reel 4: 10%
Reel 5: 100%
Reel 6: 18%

Team Negative1
*NOTE : UPDATED REEL 4
Author
Time

Thank you so much. I guess there's still plenty of work to do, but it's good to know at least 2 reels are now complete. Could you kindly debrief us whenever you finish a reel?

Ignorant of many things, but still a real bro.

Author
Time

We will continue to post sample scenes when they are completed and available for viewing.

No need to wait for complete reels to be done, as this an asynchronous and parallel process, without having to wait for completion.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Author
Time

Maybe the false assumption that the interior of the scanning room would comprise the integrity of the project?

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

Maybe the projector is stamped all over with "PROPERTY OF LUCASARTS".

...too soon? :(

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

The person doing the work for us, does not want any publicly viewable shots of the setup. End of story.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

That's perfectly understandable.  A lot of us are gearheads and just love looking at that stuff, we can't help it  :)

Author
Time

They can find everyone through their IP address.  All they need is a warrant and I'm sure everything seen here is good enough to get one. 

They shouldn't care but those Disney lawyers need something to justify their high salaries with.