logo Sign In

mp3 Volume Normalizer Programs

Author
Time

I use MP3Gain to normalize volume on all my mp3's and AAC files.  It works reasonably well but I'd like something that allows a little tighter volume control.  MP3Gain only works in 1.5 dB increments, claiming that the human ear can only hear the difference with larger increments.  But I swear I still hear volume differences.

Any suggestions?

Author
Time

Moving this to the technical forum where it might get more attention. (Or not.)

Anyway, are you sure that your player is actually obeying the Replay Gain metadata?

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Thanks Moth3r.

Sorry, but I'm a novice with this kind of stuff. What do you mean by the metadata?

If you're asking if my ipod (or itunes) is playing the files at a volume based on MP3Gain's settings, then the answer is yes. There is a definite difference after I run MP3Gain, the tracks are much closer together in volume. But there is still a difference in some tracks, not bad by any means, but it seems like they could still be closer in volume.

Author
Time

Right, well I'm no expert in this either, but I'll explain how I think it works.

MP3Gain does not actually alter any of the audio data stored in the MP3 file. Instead, it analyses the volume of the file (using the Replay Gain algorithm) and stores the results in tags within the file - called "metadata" because they are information about the audio data and not actually real data.

A player that is compatible with Replay Gain will read these tags and adjust the volume up or down, in order to give every file played the same perceived loundness.

Now here's where I get lost - AFAIK, the ipod (and itunes) do not support Replay Gain (they use a slightly different algorithm called Sound Check). So, in theory, you should not be hearing any difference in volume after using MP3Gain!

Author
Time

Just read this - MP3Gain does actually modify the audio data, but in a clever way that makes it lossless/reversible.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Now here's where I get lost - AFAIK, the ipod (and itunes) do not support Replay Gain (they use a slightly different algorithm called Sound Check). So, in theory, you should not be hearing any difference in volume after using MP3Gain!

Well that is really strange.

I definitely hear a difference - all the songs are closer in volume.  But even if my ears are playing tricks on me, the change in volume is being read (or processed or whatever) by both itunes and the ipod.  Most songs come in in the high 90 db range, and i have the program set to reduce volume to 90 db.  And the songs are definitely quieter after runnning the program.

Hmmm...well, it's not that big of a deal, as it does a decent job.  I'm just looking for something that can tweak it a little more.

Author
Time

Moth3r said:

Just read this - MP3Gain does actually modify the audio data, but in a clever way that makes it lossless/reversible.

Interesting.  It sounds like there is a tech reason for the 1.5 db limit, so maybe this is as good as it can get.

Author
Time

You could always investigate how to use Apple's Sound Check, which by all accounts is a similar implementation to Replay Gain.

Failing that, you might want to take a look at this:
http://www.mani.de/ivolume/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Honestly, Apple's sound check sucks.

The good thing about it is it's very easy to use, just turn on and off at the click of a button.  The bad thing is it does a terrible job at normalizing, as far as I can hear.  Much worse than MP3Gain.

ivolume looks interesting.  I may take that for a test drive.  Thanks.

Author
Time

Hmmm....no I haven't.  I kind of decided mp3gain was close enough, but I'll look into it.

Author
Time

I use bvcsoft video to mp3gain converter to normalize my videos and musics at the same sound level.usually,I set 95db.I like it very much.you can try it.