logo Sign In

Post #710090

Author
kk650
Parent topic
kk650's Star Wars Saga: Regraded and Semi-Specialized (Released)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/710090/action/topic#710090
Date created
7-Jun-2014, 9:17 PM

towne32 said:

kk650 said:

towne32 said:

I think it looks great. I think the main flaw is the somewhat obvious sound cuts that we've discussed a bit already, so no need to dwell on that more. It would be lovely to see that fix in the 16gb version, though.

As far as other editing decisions go, as you've said, everyone would probably create a slightly different version for themselves. I personally would love a copy with *no* CGI 'dinosaurs' at all (or flying droids) in addition to the rest of your changes. But, different strokes for different folks.

And I did notice the grey line in that shot. Is it only a single frame with this?

If I had access to blu-ray level HD footage of the shots you're talking about without the 'dinosaurs', I'd certainly consider removing the one that walks accross Luke and Ben when they're in the speeder about to talk to the storm troopers. 

I agree that the flying droids aren't the end of the world.

Would you consider asking Harmy/team negative1 to use their 35mm scan to get rid of the giant dino blocking the camera? It would probably need a lot of color alteration. Given that a lot of that has probably already been done on the shot, I'm not sure how much a clip can be changed back and forth before it starts getting... odd.

I don't necessarily like the 'dino' that they pass *after* the stormtroopers. But, the landspeeder was a mess in that shot as it was originally done. (I recall reading that it was processed and blurred repeatedly, and it shows). So, short of some rotoscoping to keep the speeder and lose the creature, it's probably fine for semi-specialized as is.

There is the shot when they're first pulling into the city, specific to the SE, where there are exact duplicate stormtroopers on both sides, making the exact same motions. I like the shot (for SE purposes), but the identically moving stormtroopers make it look like a 90's video game. Again, probably not an easy fix by any means.

Hmm, it's fascinating because i'm looking at althor1138's incredibly useful Star Wars COLD release to quickly compare the SE to the GOUT and it seems like that dino walking across was put there on purpose to hide the cheap looking half painted white and green R2D2 unit that passes by. Which is the lesser of two evils is the question, GL thinks the dino it seems. I'm 50/50 to be honest.

The shot when they pass the dino after the stormtroopers, I have no preference whether the dino is there or not, both are fine to me, though the GOUT and Japanese laserdisc release have a lot more deadspace below the R2D2 droid with the red top than the SE releases, making the GOUT/laserdisc shot look more like a set and a bit fake compared to the SE releases IMHO. In this case I would definately choose the SE shot because of the reduced amount of deadspace, making for better frame composition and making the set look more real, a definate improvement in my book.

The third thing you mentioned is something i've never noticed (nice spot, though you probably wish you hadn't noticed it now haha) so its not really an issue for me. As you say though, even if it was, I don't think there's that much I could do about it.