logo Sign In

Info & Help Wanted: is there a way to color correct the ghostbusters blu rays to look like how spook central says it should look?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

is there a way to color correct the ghostbusters blu rays to look like how spook central says it should look? here’s the links to the comparisons of ghostbusters 1                                                                  http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_homevid_compare.htm

and here’s ghostbusters 2

http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb2_homevid_compare.htm

Author
Time

I don't know, the 2014 Blu-Rays feel more theatrically accurate to me. The old DVDs are the ones that look off to my eye.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

clarity isn't the issue he has with it. it's that some of the colors are wrong, contrast is wrong it's much better  but not 100% on the 4k mastered ghostbusters 1 but not ghostbusters 2. plus there's black crush on ghostbusters 1.

Author
Time

Wow, that is some serious differences between transfers.   The 2005 DVD is garbage!

Dr. M

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Wow, those are some crazy comparisons!  To me the 1999 DVDs are the best ones, but maybe it's because I've watched them about a thousand times.

I always remembered Ghostbusters being pretty dark films (TV, VHS, 1999 DVD).  The 2014 Blu-ray is the closest to 1999, but all the teal and greed, damn.

The whole thing feels very revisionist to me (enhancing colors, huge contrast changes, etc.), stop messing with my memory :-p

Author
Time

jedimasterobiwan said:

clarity isn't the issue he has with it. it's that some of the colors are wrong, contrast is wrong it's much better  but not 100% on the 4k mastered ghostbusters 1 but not ghostbusters 2. plus there's black crush on ghostbusters 1.

I wasn't talking about clarity, I was talking about color.

Author
Time

Too bad they don't have shots from the Criterion Laserdisc in there.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

well is there a way to tweek picture with the blu rays in the computer and do color correction,contrast correction and brightness correction?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I'd be more interested in the theatrical color timing. Even the 2014 Blu-ray is different from the 70mm blowup print I saw in 2010 (which was from 1984, but was LPP so it wasn't faded)

I know there's some guy in the UK who has a 16mm print, he posted it on YouTube.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

yeah that's what i was meaning by mentioning the link making the films look more like they should. do you think someone could do that?

Author
Time

because i don't think i can ever do that i'm not that great with computers i only know little bit it seems way too hard for me and time consuming. the only reason i asked if someone could do it was because i saw the picture correction star wars fans did for the star wars despecialized. i thought maybe someone could do the same for the two ghostbusters films that's all.

Author
Time

Or, if it's something you want to see, you could take the time to learn how to do it. That's how the rest of us started.

People aren't going to take the time and effort to do a project just because you want it. If you want it badly enough, learn how to do it yourself, or wait and hope someone else decides they want to see the same thing.

Author
Time

It would be great to get some examples / samples of what it looked like in it's original theatrical run.

While the DVD's and BD release's differ quite dramatically, there is nothing to say which one, if any, is correct .

If you can not take it on the work yourself, please post anything you come across in your research in this thread. If worth while, Im sure at somepoint some fellow fan editor will take the reigns.

Author
Time

Well, the laserdisc I have looks closer to the blu-ray, but also the 1999 dvd in parts. I always remember Ghostbusters being quite a dark and muddy looking transfer on VHS and TV. I never got to see the 35mm print, so no idea what that would be like in comparison.

I think the 4K blu-ray is the middle ground of all the transfers, but I can understand why some people might think it is a bit too boosted in parts. 

I have never seen what the criterion laserdisc transfer looks like, so that again might be different from the other formats. It would be interesting to compare if someone has it.

Someone also said they had a 1080i HDTV version of the 1999 transfer of Ghostbusters a while ago, that would be something worth preserving I think for those who prefer that colour-timing/transfer with the criterion laserdisc audio.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The 1080i HDTV version of the 1999 transfer showed up on rutracker, IIRC.

And yes, that original transfer was pretty dull-looking, wasn't it? A lot of video transfers from the era came from low-contrast interpositive elements and had the gamma cranked to read better on CRT, but Ghostbusters looked so drab and yellow-brown. I remember getting the remastered VHS in the 90s (the Family Collection one) and being blown away by how much better the color was.

I recall a story about Ivan Reitman seeing one of the video transfers and being appalled at how bad it made the special effects look - the garbage mattes and partially transparent exposures and other stuff were clear as day. (Actually, I kind of feel that the original GB transfer shares a lot of the same issues of the original transfer of The Empire Strikes Back, which was also done in 1985. Contrast is too low, everything looks too yellow, effects tricks that were invisible or near-invisible in theaters are painfully obvious.)

Author
Time

Do we have any source (e.g. film) that gives away which if these is the closest to accurate?

The problem with doing a preservation project of these movies is we see the studio is perfectly willing to revise the look with each release and they re-release it frequently.

We could easily see a better new transfer next year in UHD or something.

Dr. M

Author
Time

rockin it's not just the boosting but black crush and the colors in certain parts of the movie not looking right compare screenshots 3 10 11 13 17 ghostbusters 1 screenshot 11 shows that the green of slimer is too light of green the restscreenshots are just comparisons now on to ghostbusters 2 screenshot 1 3 4 5 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 in screenshot 8 silmer color looks kinda wrong i think and on scheenshot 12 the yellow part of the trim on the ecto one looks greenish the rest are just comparisons.

Author
Time

But what are the "right" colors for these movies? All we have to go on are various home video transfers, all of which could be incorrectly color-timed.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anyone who's depressed should read jedimasterobiwan's posts. They're a sure-fire means of raising one's spirits.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Oh, and BTW, shouldn't this entire thread be in the "Other Preservations and Fan Projects" part of the forums? Colour correction a fan-edit doesn't make.