logo Sign In

X-Men: the animated series (1992-1997) (Released) — Page 5

Author
Time
I transcribed the dialogue from this episode (I downloaded the file). I don't have the time to time it to the video (ie. subtitle) but I can provide a txt file to make things easier for you BSherrod?

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com

Author
Time
BSherrod, if you have any doubts about how to use Subtitle Workshop let me know. When you complete this sub, I'll send you the restored versions of the anime intros with 5.1 AC3 soundtrack as a thank-you gift .
Author
Time
No Problem, where'd you get 5.1 AC3 from? I won't be able to work on it tonight, but this weekend hopefully. Oh and the episode looks beautiful man, Byakko you're doing wonders.
Author
Time
The episode looks beautiful? It's completely unfiltered, if you like that then you'll love the result .
The source audio for the anime intros is indeed mono, but I know of a method to make 5.1 out of stereo that's very convincing and am researching for a good mono-to-stereo method as well.
Author
Time
Sweet, I can't wait to hear it. When you finigh the DVDs maybe I will have done enough subtitles for you to send me one for free, haha. But I'll probably work on the episode soon, I'm swamped now. Do you have any short clips of your latest filterchain?
Author
Time
No, I don't. But when you finish this subtitle, I'll give you a fully filtered iPod version of this episode along with the anime intros .
Author
Time
Any takers for the second episode? Like with BSherrod, rewards will be DVD versions of the anime intros with 5.1 sound and an iPod version of the episode you make subtitles for.
Author
Time
How long does is take to create a sub file for one ep? Ballpark guess?
Author
Time
Each episode lasts less than 25 minutes. Taking that into account, I'd guess it should take you between one and two hours at most.
Author
Time
I will have some free time at night this week so I can give it a shot, just english subs right?
Author
Time
Yup, english only. I'll deal with the spanish subs, either translating them from the english ones you makr or having someone else make them from the spanish soundtrack. I'll have the link for the second episode soon, and thanks for helping out, we appreciate it .
Author
Time
I don't get how the program works man, I opened it up and was like what the crap. Any FAQS available?
Author
Time
I removed the stuff like *gasps* and *screams* from my caption transcript. Now I've timed the ep until the 3m50s mark. Should I continue? I'm not meaning to take over BSherrod's work, just that I can do this one more quickly than him if need be. BSherrod, I recommend DivXLand Media Subtitler. It's very easy to use (unless you get stuck with some DirectX problems). Do you want to do the first episode or wait and do the 2nd or third?

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com

Author
Time
BSherrod, here's what I do:

1) Upon executing the program, press Ctrl+P and load the movie. It will start to play, so press the stop button.

2) Press Ctrl+N to start the editor. A subtitle that starts at 0s and ends at 1s will appear, so delete it.

3) Set Input FPS: and FPS: to 29,97. Now, press the PLAY button and listen to the movie.

4) When someone starts speaking press Alt+Z, and when they stop press Alt+X. You'll see that an entry in the editor will appear. Pause the video, select the entry and click inside of the Text: box to write what you heard.

5) If you need to hear again, you can press Ctrl+<- or Ctrl+-> in order to go back 5s or go forward 5s respectively.

6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the episode is finished.

Extra tips:

1) Once you entered a line, you can right-click on it and set it to italic, bold or underlined.
2) When a character speaks, always put a - in their first line.
3) When the narrator speaks, set the text type to italic and don't use - .

[tip 2 makes it easier on the reader to tell when a character is speaking and who says what on a conversation, tip 3 makes it easy to tell when narration from dialogue]

4) Once you entered the text in step 4, you can go back 5s and play the video to see what you just entered.

5) If you see that the text you entered is too long, just press enter while typing your text for multiple line entries.

In summary:

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/2361/schematicrx2.png

It can be a little daunting at first, but after a couple of minutes it becomes second nature.

klokwerk, I'd rather have something done with a subtitle creator, whichever one you prefer is ok.

The second episode is now up:

http://www.31012.com/~azulftp/X-Men(subbing)1-02.avi
http://www.31012.com/~azulftp/subtitleworkshop251.zip

Author
Time
That's a very helpful guide. Subtitle Workshop looks to be much more advanced than what I use. I'll wait for a reply from BSherrod before deciding whether to continue with the first episode or not.

Author
Time
segaflip: other than having forgotten to leave a space after the -, your sample looks perfect. When you're done, save is as a .SRT as it's much easier to read and transform to other formats. As for the font, the default is good enough, and if we decide to change it it can be done afterwards very easily with this program.
Author
Time
ok which option saves it as an .SRT??
Author
Time
Hi. Today I sat down and done some work on the subtitles for the first episodes. I've managed to do about 66% of the total and can do the rest tomorrow. Since I am not a native English speaker there may be 2 or 3 simple mistakes in the subtitles, but other than that I think it's ok. Are the subtitles still needed or is the need a bit out of date? If there is a need for doing subtitles for further episodes I may be of some help...so long as you want them to be in English...or if you want them to be translated to Polish...I can do both...
Author
Time
Mmmm, it outputs .SUB as default. Never mind, I can use a converter on it.

AzrilDrakk: wait until ep3.
Author
Time
I've taken an interest in this project recently, so if there's any vacancies for subtitling before the end of the month, I'd be happy to help out.
Author
Time
I'll be uploading episodes 3 and 4 soon.
Author
Time
Byakko: Since you are working on the episodes from commercial dvd's and vhs's as well as episodes recorded from tv, do you change (beside the quality of the video) the audio side? What I mean is, if I managed to get my hands on some of the episodes and made subtitles to them will they work with your versions of the episodes, or will they have some problems with the timing?
If it is the case that they will work, I'll try and find some of the episodes and make subtitles to them...if not...then I guess I'll have to wait patiently for your uploads...