logo Sign In

Which Star Trek series do you like best and why? Who is your favorite commander?

Author
Time

I know I started the All Things Star Trek thread, but this thread is too specific a discussion I believe to simply go under the other thread.  I will link to it in the first post for archivists' sakes.

So the questions:

Which series is your favorite: TOS; TNG; DS9; VOY; ENT; TOS cast films; TNG cast films; Abrams films?

Why?

Would you like to see another film in the Prime Universe, perhaps following the TNG cast, or maybe instead following the DS9 or VOY cast?

How about commanders?  Do you like Shatner's Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Archer, or Pine's Kirk?  Or perhaps one of the lesser/lesser known characters/commanders, such as Spock, Riker, Pike, Decker, etc.?

Personally, I really love TNG.  I think it really develops its characters in an interesting way, doesn't get too silly (most of the time), had a number of interesting moral dilemmas, explored fun theories, and simply was a great show.  Sadly, my view is somewhat ignorant, as I've not had much exposure to DS9, VOY, or ENT.  I'm not terribly interested in Enterprise, to be quite honest, and my interest in Voyager is probably mostly for its Borg-related episodes.  Deep Space 9 really is a series I'd like to learn more about, as I heard it got very interesting, especially when it dealt with the Dominion War, interaction with the Klingons, and religious topics that Roddenberry wanted to avoid.

Author
Time

TNG was special, even had the action figures.

Voyager is my favorite though. I like the premise of being lost, detached from the usual settings and people. It felt more intimate, closer-knit comradery. To that end, I think Janeway is my favorite captain, most down-to-earth, and always focused, thinking, weighing choices. When she took risks, there was a method to her madness, always ready to tackle the consequences. And when a tough decision was made, she stuck with it.

The blue elephant in the room.

Author
Time

Deep Space Nine. Once you get to the Dominion War stuff, it gets really good (the amputation episode, the recovery from the amputation episode), but without skimping on silly fun stuff (Nog's trading games). Basic premise includes some well-done real-world parallels (Bajorans ~ various oppressed peoples who turn to terrorism), including a look at the good and bad of religion. The good guys aren't always good, the bad guys aren't always bad, but it's not like everyone's in the grey or something. The characters are wonderfully acted and all around enjoyable, and Miles O'Brien is one of main characters. Not every episode is amazing and the early seasons are not as good at the later ones, but overall it's a great show.

ROTJ Storyboard Reconstruction Project

Author
Time

It's like choosing children. I have to say TOS (because it's my job). Sure its old and campy, but it dared to do things nothing else on television was doing.

For those interested, Trek.fm has series-specific podcasts to check out. So far we have VGR and DS9 covered, with more coming soon!

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For me:

TNG - Nothing to say about it, if you haven't seen it, then it probably isn't your thing. If you have seen it, then you know all about it.

DS9 - It does get pretty good. I haven't even seen all of it yet, but I really enjoy it.

VOY - So much crap in that series, but hidden among it all is some really good stuff. Being lost in an unknown part of space allowed the show to explore "strange new worlds" and tell some pretty interesting and bizarre sci-fi stories. I missed the last few seasons of the show, but I did download and watch the finale at one point.

And Picard will always be my favorite. I like the intellectual captain angle, the classic literature, and the earl grey tea.

Author
Time

Hands down, definitely TOS. It was fun while also being intelligent. They weren't lazy with the alien design and actually had some alien looking aliens. There was little to no technobabble and most importantly it was character driven. Kirk, Spock and McCoy are what make that show. They were fun characters that were relatable.

Secondly, Kirk has never been topped. He was charismatic and intelligent. Always put others before himself. If there was a dangerous situation he faced it head on and never hid on the bridge. He was charming while also dealing with the weight of command and the loneliness that comes with it.

In contrast, TNG while still entertaining was weighed down heavily by Starfleet regulation. Now the captain was stuck on the bridge while the first officer handled the away missions. Everyone treated everyone else with a level of professionalism, even off duty. They'd rarely let their hair down so to speak. TNG was excellent but in a different than TOS.

Ds9 in comparison was a breath of fresh air after TNG. I hadn't realized how stuffy TNG had gotten until DS9 kicked the door open again. It got back to being about the dynamic characters and their interactions with each other. While there was technobabble to be thrown about here and there it didn't drive the plot, the characters did. It's my second favorite series after TOS.

Voyager by contrast.....eeeee. The first couple seasons were just terrible. It was the random abstract sciencey obstacle of the week that was padded until they'd come up with the deus ex machina technobabble solution of the week. That would then be conveniently forgotten about when it could have been helpful in later episodes. After that they had a couple good seasons that really developed the characters and their struggles before slipping back into the dreck and ended on a real dud note.

Enterprise was never terrible. The first season really developed the beginnings of Starfleet's journey and started to lay the foundations for the development of the Federation. Season two....I think season two is what really cemented the show's fate. It was pretty dull and I think a lot of people gave up after that. I know I did. Which was a shame because season three was great. Season 4 was the best. It's a shame they kept all these great ideas on the backburner instead of interspersing them through out the previous seasons. Had they done that the show might have found its legs a lot earlier on. But instead they horded all of the good stuff and then had to rush through it all in their last season. The idea for the finale was interesting but I think it really robbed them of their last chance to shine and stand on their own two feet.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

So far, I like TOS the most; it's the most fun, the chemistry between the characters is excellent, and it tries to think big even if it doesn't entirely succeed.

After watching almost four seasons of TNG, I've come to appreciate it a fair bit more than I did when I first started watching it (Data is awesome!); it does take itself too seriously, though, most of the aliens are lame, and I don't like Roddenberry's "perfect" vision of the Federation, so I can't rate it as highly as TOS.

I've only seen a few episodes of DS9 and that was some years back, so I can't really comment on it, except to say that I remember it was more in the spirit of TOS and that the weapons looked like cheap plastic toys.

I have no interest in VOY, ENT, or Abrams' Trek, so I'm not going to watch them, therefore I can't comment on them (take from that what you will).

As for my favourite commander - that's Spock (he's my favourite character in the franchise, though, so that can't come as any surprise).

Author
Time

TNG - Favorite Series

TOS- Favorite Movies

Kirk will always be top dog in my book.

I haven't seen much of DS9, however I hate most of the secondary characters judging from what I've seen.  Can't wait for the remastered story-arc involving Sacrifice of Angels...

Author
Time

The only series I saw on it's 'first run' was TNG, so it's the one I remember most fondly.

I only saw all of VOY via daytime syndication later on.

I've seen all of TOS, one way or the other, over the many years of my life.

I only saw the first few seasons of DS9, and haven't seen the rest yet.

Only caught a few scant episodes of ENT (which is probably why it didn't last long - Sorry).

Have never seen TAS...yet. Got a few VHS's of the series. Maybe I should watch them?

Star Wars Episode XXX: Erica Strikes Back

Davnes007 LogoCanadian Flag

If you want Nice, go to France

Author
Time

Without any doubt... the original series. Spock is the coolest character of all. Gotta love William Shatner's cheesy acting. I personally love camp! Batman 1966 anyone? I love my campy, cheesy bullshit. haha

Author
Time

TOS Captain Kirk.

The original and the best.

Author
Time

TNG and DS9 are tied for my favorite, each captain sits in that spot as well.  Voyager is next, and TOS is my least favorite, although that's not to say I didn't enjoy it because I very much did.  Haven't seen Enterprise.  I enjoy abram's star trek movies as well but I don't really have a ranking for them.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

What a difference a couple of years makes. I thought this was a new thread and was prepared to just drop a Kirk gif and be done. But then I saw the in-depth reply my past self had left...

Forum Moderator
Author
Time

My preference

1. TOS & TNG - it's hard to decide, I love them both

2. TOS movies - yeah, even 5 has some fine moments

3. Enterprise - I loved the first 3 seasons and was bored by the 4th

4. DS9 - weak start, actually VERY weak, but when they started to concentrate on the Dominion story arc it got really, REALLY good

5. TNG movies - they look pretty, but except First Contact and some parts of Insurrection nothing makes any sense

6. Voyager - I never liked the show, actually this was the first Trek show where I HATED some characters (the Borg kids, Neelix, that Naomi whatshername kid, the holographic doctor, the Borg - OMG they managed to maked the Borg BORING - how is that possible?). I started to like the final episodes spread over the last 2 or 3 seasons, the story arc when they started to show the team in the Alpha quadrant trying to bring them home

7. TAS - some episodes are really great, but most of them are just too childish, the animation is full of errors, the score is repetitive and actually annoying...

8. JJ movies - there are 2 things I like about the new movies - the score and the new McCoy. Everything else sucks imho.

Commanders

1. Kirk & Picard - I love 'em both, each of them for different reasons

2. Archer - if I was in a military organisation, this is the kind of guy I would follow to battle

3. Sisko - I didn't like him originally but I got used to him very quickly

4. Janeway - never liked her, don't know why, maybe because of her "inconsistency" - in some episodes she's the good mother of the crew, in some episodes she's an action hero, in some episodes she's a very "girly" woman, in some episodes she follows strictly the Starfleet principles, in other episodes she's like "to hell with the Prime Directive" ...

5. JJ Kirk - I still think Pine's version of Kirk is simply an asshole, not sure if it's JJ's fault or Pine's

Author
Time

pittrek said:

TAS - some episodes are really great, but most of them are just too childish, the animation is full of errors, the score is repetitive and actually annoying...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Filmation. ;-) 

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It's been a number of years since I submitted my first post in this thread, so I guess it's time for me to provide an update.

TOS is still my favourite Trek series, and for pretty much the exact same reasons I mentioned far up above. DS9 comes in second, TNG comes in a distant third, and TAS ... *shrug*

Still haven't seen -- and still refuse to see -- VOY, ENT, and Abramstrek.

Sisko is now my favourite Trek commander (It must have something to do with his awesome voice.).

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

pittrek said:

TAS - some episodes are really great, but most of them are just too childish, the animation is full of errors, the score is repetitive and actually annoying...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Filmation. ;-) 

It could be argued that the world of Filmation would have been even more wonderful if Hallmark didn't destroy everything except copies of the episodes themselves, and standard definition copies at that.

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

For a moment, I thought CP3S was back. :(

Author
Time

Tobar pretty much shares my views. TOS is definitely the most fun for me to watch, all the others don't come close. TNG is probably the better show, but you can't help what you fall in love with.

As for commanders, I'd love to hang around Kirk, but I'd much rather be Picard.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Handman said:

TOS is definitely the most fun for me to watch, all the others don't come close. TNG is probably the better show, but you can't help what you fall in love with.

Nah. It's stronger than TOS in some ways (TNG's entire roster of characters got more time to shine in their own stories than TOS' ever did, for example.), but when it's weak, it's weaker than TOS ever was. 

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

Handman said:

TOS is definitely the most fun for me to watch, all the others don't come close. TNG is probably the better show, but you can't help what you fall in love with.

Nah. It's stronger than TOS in some ways (TNG's entire roster of characters got more time to shine in their own stories than TOS' ever did, for example.), but when it's weak, it's weaker than TOS ever was. 

I'd argue that the very best of TNG outshines the best of TOS (Guardian of Forever notwithstanding). So, TOS is the more focused of the two, while TNG is much more varied. It makes sense, given that TNG lasted a whole lot longer than TOS.

Author
Time

My favorite commander? Spock, of course.

Oh, did you mean my favorite captain? ;)

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”