logo Sign In

Star Wars OT & 1997 Special Edition - Various Projects Info (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Star Wars Trilogy Theatrical Editions (2006 Bonus DVD as source) ALL versions information & availability…

SW Trilogy version 1 info(V1):

Star Wars
video - 16:9 anamorphic widescreen @ 2.35:1 NTSC
audio - English ac3, (1) 93‘ LD audio DD 2.0 (384 KB/S) (2) 93’ LD audio DD 5.1 upmix (448 KB/S) (3) 77’ mono Mix Dolby 1.0 (96 KB/S)
menu - none
subs - English from the Bonus DVD
availability - newsgroups? (this set is pretty old now)

Empire Strikes Back
audio - English ac3, (1) 93‘ LD audio DD 2.0 (384 KB/S) (2) 93’ LD audio DD 5.1 upmix (448 KB/S)
menu - none

Return of The Jedi
audio - English ac3, (1) 93‘ LD audio DD 2.0 (384 KB/S) (2) 93’ LD audio DD 5.1 upmix (448 KB/S)
menu - none

SW Trilogy version 2 info(V2):

This entire set was exactly the same as the above version 1 set, with only the Alien subs color changed to yellow and I moved them up into the image, I never liked them down in the black bar.
availability - this was never uploaded, only a couple people ever got copies of this version.

SW Trilogy version 3 info(V3):

Star Wars
audio - English ac3, (1) 1977 70mm Six-Track Reconstruction (Dolby Digital 5.1) @ 448kbps (2) 1977 Theatrical 2.0 Surround @256kbps (3) 1977 Theatrical Mono @ 128kbps (4) 1985 Home Video 2.0 Surround Remix @ 256kbps (5) 1993 Home Video 2.0 Surround Remix @ 256kbps (6) Isolated Score 2.0 Stereo @ 192kbps
menu - static menu w\audio
subs - none
availability - Myspleen

Empire Strikes Back
audio - English ac3, (1) 1993 Alternate Dolby Digital 5.1 “PURIST” Remix @ 448kbps (2) 1980 Theatrical 2.0 Surround @ 256kbps (3) 1993 Home Video 2.0 Surround Remix @ 256kbps (4) Isolated Score 2.0 Stereo @ 192kbps
subs - none
*bonus -  rare Empire recordings featuring C3PO, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.
availability - Myspleen

Return of The Jedi
audio - English ac3, (1) 1993 Alternate Dolby Digital 5.1 “PURIST” Remix @ 448kbps (2) 1983 Theatrical 2.0 Surround @ 256kbps (3) 1993 Home Video 2.0 Surround Remix @ 256kbps (4) Isolated Score 2.0 Stereo @ 192kbps
subs - none
availability - Myspleen

special note on the version 3, it uses the latest g-force script with some very minor tweaks & edits and has theatrically created alien subtitle timing and placement for Star Wars and Return of The Jedi.

Star Wars Original Trilogy Theatrical Edition Blu-ray Set V2(BD25)

Star Wars
video - 720p AVC
audio - English - (1 & 2) 1977 70mm Six-Track Reconstruction - DTS-HD MA 5.1 & Dolby Digital 5.1 (3 & 4) 1977 Theatrical 2.0 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround & LPCM (5 & 6) 1977 Theatrical Mono - Dolby Digital & LPCM (7 & 8) 1985 Home Video 2.0 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround & LPCM (9 & 10) 1993 Home Video 2.0 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround & LPCM (11) Isolated Score Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
menu - yes, motion top menu w\audio and pop up menu with scene selection, and audio selection.
subs - English SDH, Swedish, French, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Spanish, Danish, Brazilian Portuguese
extras - Original Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
disc size - ? GB’s
availability - COMING SOON!

Empire Strikes Back
video - 720p AVC
audio - English - (1 & 2) 1993 Alternate Dolby Digital 5.1 Remix - DTS-HD MA 5.1 & Dolby Digital 5.1 (3 & 4) 1980 Theatrical 2.0 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround & LPCM (5 & 6) 1993 Home Video 2.0 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround & LPCM (7) Imperial Edition Isolated Score LPCM (8) Isolated Score 2.0 Stereo Dolby Digital
menu - yes, motion top menu w\audio and pop up menu with scene selection, and audio selection.
subs - English SDH, Swedish, French, Finnish, German, Norwegian, Spanish, Danish, Brazilian Portuguese
extras - Original Theatrical and Teaser Trailers, rare Empire recordings featuring C3PO, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.
disc size - ? GB’s

Return of The Jedi
video - 720p AVC
audio - English - (1 & 2) 1993 Alternate Dolby Digital 5.1 Remix - DTS-HD MA 5.1 & Dolby Digital 5.1 (3 & 4) 1983 Theatrical 2.0 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround & LPCM (5 & 6) 1993 Home Video 2.0 - Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround & LPCM (7) Isolated Score Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
extras - Original Theatrical and Teaser Trailers
disc size - ? GB’s

Star Wars 1997 Special Edition Blu-ray Set(BD25):

**A New Hope 1997 Special Edition
**video - 720p AVC
audio - DTS-HD MA 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1, PCM 2.0, Dolby Digital 2.0
subs - None
extras - ANH 97 SE Trailer, The Making of The 1997 Special Editions.
disc size - ? GB’s
availability - Coming Soon!

**Empire Strikes Back 1997 Special Edition
**video - 720p AVC
subs - None
extras - ESB 97 SE Trailer, The Making of The 1997 Special Editions.
disc size - ? GB’s

**Return of The Jedi 1997 Special Edition
**video - 720p AVC
subs - None
extras - ROTJ 97 SE Trailer, The Making of The 1997 Special Editions.
disc size -

Props:

You_Too for being 1 hell of a great partner in BLU V2 and other projects!
Mysterious Third Man on our Team!
Torrente (for some of our “official” artwork)
Imrahil2001 (for some of our “official” artwork)
hairy_hen (for the 5.1 mixes)
ABC (for all the help on ESB IE and the great covers for the V3 Set & Blu-ray as well as other projects!)
DoctorM (always around either at OT or on AIM for tech help when needed)
Adywan (for all the tech help he has provided on various occasions, especially Vegas help when doing the audio, and AE help)
Harmy (for tech help with AE, and for the GREAT Blu-ray covers)
and everyone that has commented in the this thread, because comments help to, whether they are good or bad.

!!! I will update this post as needed !!!

Author
Time

Cool I will watch this thread all the way to its completion

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time

The pics look like they have a reduce noise filter from Photoshop.

Either way impressive results

-Angel

–>Artwork<–**

Author
Time

OK I just burned my sample AVCHD clip to DVD and watched it on my PS3 and Sony player,I personally think it looked DAMN good,I am going to go ahead with the AVCHD project now as well,sure it has some flaws,but holy crap does it look 100 times better than the crappy ass gout release we officially got.

hopefully more of you will burn test it to,I would love thoughts.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Thumbnail test:

Insert the thumbnail image first, then select it and convert into a link.

I don't know if any of ImageShack's preset forum tag options will give the correct results.

Test 2:

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5063/snapshot20090630083032.th.jpg

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

OK if I add the DD 5.1 track I need to strip some of this stuff,first I need to remove the "Special Features" button from the main menu:

Then I need to remove the French and Spanish audi options form this menu and replace with DD 5.1 option,but I would have to get that font or one very close to it:

maybe I might take off the THX optimizer to.

So any pointers and guides on how to do this would be great.

I will post it in the How To's also.

Author
Time
Moth3r said:

Thumbnail test:

Insert the thumbnail image first, then select it and convert into a link.

I don't know if any of ImageShack's preset forum tag options will give the correct results.

Thanks M,that worked just fine,but it is a lot more work.

Author
Time

The alternative - where Imageshack has the codes to embed thumbnails of the image, copy the code under "Alt Forum", past into your post, then delete the [/IMG] bit.

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5063/snapshot20090630083032.th.jpg[/IMG]

Author
Time

Re. menu redesign - I was tentatively looking at doing the same sort of thing with my own custom discs, but didn't get too far (back to the Alien Appendix grindstone ;-) )

I did find this guide, which seems to have some very useful directions - there's no getting around the problem of seamlessly editing the menu text and subpics, which is going to be a pain, depending on your 'shop skillz (if anyone can help you here it's Moth3r, who did a man's job on his pwnage disc).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Here is 1 more video sample at 64 MB's,just burn it to a rewritable DVDr and play in your Blu-ray player or PS3.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/sdmb01

Funny thing with this sample,I did this clip like 4 times,I could NOT figure out why I kept losing the damn subs,DUH! I was cropping them off to upconvert the video LOL so I had to put them back on and put them in the right position and resize them.

Author
Time

The movie and the sound is the main thing. I always find menus to be annoying so for all I care they could be deleted.

I really like the mono sound, what a great preservation(hardly any noise) and the 93 LD PCM is just great(with or without the lfe). Haven't heard the 5.1 upmix yet.

Author
Time

the 5.1 upmix sounds great(at least to me anyways) and really looking forward to hearing the DTS 5.1 upmix on my AVCHD project,which I will encode tonight.

I to really don't care a whole lot about menu's either,to me they are a pain in the ass.

but whatever I do with the Standard DVD GOUT video I want to do soon to get these finished,because I want the AVCHD's done by next Monday.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

dark_jedi

these AVCHD's look really nice. Did you use solo21's script for upscaling as posted here or did you do these encodings without avisynth?

I wanted to try solo21's script a few months ago, but I couldn't get this script working, too.

Author
Time

Those screenshots look quite good.  The GOUT video is kind of a mess, even on a 4:3 screen if you look closely, and upconverted looks even worse usually.  Frankly I'm amazed to see it at that resolution without jaggies everywhere--gives me hope, it does.

Since I haven't got an HD screen yet, I've only done 4:3 versions so far.  I used a simplified version of the g-force script, taking out everything except the subtitles, the anti-aliasing, and the gamma/saturation stages, and encoding to single layer, since the rest of it isn't as noticeable on a 24-inch crt.  When I finally do get a big screen, I'll re-do them as double layer using the full script.  Probably stick with 16:9 dvd format, since I'm on a Mac and I don't know if there are any AviSynth-compatible h264 encoders that would work in WINE--I'm just lucky that HCEncoder works as well as it does.  Hopefully I'll be able to snag the Oppo BD-983 Bluray player; that beast's upconversion is second to none.

As far as audio sources go, I would recommend getting rid of all the tracks that came on the GOUT.  Empire's GOUT audio has significant dynamic range compression compared to the laserdisc version, for some reason (though the other two apparently don't).  They are all dialnorm'd about four decibels, as well, plus the low bitrate--better to scrap them and use the laserdisc sound instead.  Not sure how many you can fit or what kind of bitrates you need for 1080p, but I would use the 5.1 track, along with the original mono and stereo for the first film, and the 93 stereo if you have enough space.  The GOUT menus are pretty cool but changing them is probably more trouble than it's worth.  It's nice to be able to put the disc in and have it start playing right away, and just switch the audio with the remote if you want, and not bother with a menu at all.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hear hear.

Btw, how is the -77 Stereo compared to the -93? Does it have any punch? I really love the 93 sound from my old LDs. It's so rich and powerful. The -04 mixes really lacks something essential(bitrate for one)

Author
Time

I personally think it would be great if you removed the whole Lego demo. It's just blatant advertising that takes up space and is in no way a special feature. If you could, it would great if you used that space to place some vintage trailers.

Forum Moderator
Author
Time
 (Edited)

The 77 stereo doesn't really have a whole lot of punch compared to the 93--being designed for 35mm optical tracks, it's limited in frequency response and dynamic range.  The 93 versions came mostly from the 70mm mix, which was not limited in either respect.  That is not to say that it sounds bad, however, because it doesn't.  I grew up on the 85 mix, which is very similar to the 77 stereo, and even though I now mostly prefer the 93 version because I love its punch and sound quality, hearing the original stereo is kind of like coming home after a long trip and finding things just the way you left them--familiar and right.  (I especially felt that way after hearing the violation that was the 04 mix.)  I put the cell bay shootout from the 77 track into the 93, because the original version sounds better without those shattering sounds--it's worth the loss of dynamic range in that instance.

The mono version is foreign to me, because I never heard it until recently, and it has a lot of things that I had previously thought were special edition changes (like 'Close the blast doors!') that I didn't care for.  It'll never be my favourite, but I have come to appreciate it a lot more.

Edit to add: totally agree on getting rid of the Lego demo.  It's a complete waste of space for a fan project that could better be used for video and audio bitrates.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ThaNks for the info!

I haven't figured out what scene the cell bay shootout is though...

Author
Time
 (Edited)

OK Guy's,

The French and Spanish audio are bye bye,and so is the Lego shit,it is an old game anyways LOL.

You know what after frackin around with this shit for over 2 days now,screw it,I am going to do what I usually do,NO FRACKIN MENU,because if I use Moth3r's clean elements for ANH,that does not help me for ESB and ROTJ,and this way I can get it out sooner and have multiple audio tracks,selectable with the DVD remote.

So I hope this does not piss anyone off,but hey look at it this way,you can add your own shit to it,plus then I can get to work on the AVCHD versions with the DTS 5.1 track,then finally back to my Japanese Special Collection Take 2.

I am putting to many things on my plate all at once,surely don't want this to feel like a job,then it is no fun anymore.

Author
Time

Amen to that DJ.

“I love Darth Editous and I’m not ashamed to admit it.” ~ADigitalMan

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I just had to weigh in.

DJ, these screen shots look like oil paintings with halos everywhere. Why not just change the final resize in my script to whatever you want, instead of running it through additional filters that preserve very little detail, and oversharpen everything and then oversharpen everything again?!

Not my cup of tea.

-G

Author
Time

Does anyone have any idea what this frackin error message is that muxman keeps spitting out on me for ANH?

and it is ONLY ANH,the other 2 are done.

damn this is pissing me off now LOL

Author
Time
g-force said:

I just had to weigh in.

DJ, these screen shots look like oil paintings with halos everywhere. Why not just change the final resize in my script to whatever you want, instead of running it through additional filters that preserve very little detail, and oversharpen everything and then oversharpen everything again?!

Not my cup of tea.

-G

I will look into that,if I PM you the script I am using for the upconvert do you have time to take a gander at it?

Author
Time
dark_jedi said:

Does anyone have any idea what this frackin error message is that muxman keeps spitting out on me for ANH?

Probably due to a bitrate spike. It's different from the error you get when the bitrate stays high for a sustained period. Does Muxman actually complete the muxing? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, it will likely still play OK on modern players.

And the point g-force is making is that the GOUT stabilization script already includes upsizing as part of the EEDI2 anti-aliasing stage - the results are then downsized to 16:9 DVD resolution. If you want 1080p output it would make more sense to remove this downsizing stage and amend the Spline16Resize lines to produce your final desired output resolution.