logo Sign In

Info: Trainspotting - extended video version

Author
Time
 (Edited)

hey guys, I just came across a section on IMDB which talks about an extended video version of Trainspotting that was recalled 2 days after release because a load of extra scenes had been added in. I’m wondering if anyone has ever tracked this down or a preservation project has been done? I’d love to see a longer cut of the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117951/alternateversions

The original UK special edition box set video was withdrawn from sale after only two days, after Polygram discoverd that they had added more than the nine deleated scenes. In addition to the nine above scenes are:

• Renton and Sick-boy setting up a rifle in the bushes of the park, whilst listening to the original avengers theme.
  • Renton laying on a stretcher in a hospital corridor, after a few moments someone tries to steal his blanket.
  • Renton’s parents wheel him out of hospital.
  • Begbie arriving at Renton’s london flat.
  • Begbie in Renton’s flat talking about horse racing.
  • More of Spud’s job interview.
  • Begbie, Spud, Sick-boy, Tommy and Renton arrive at a friend’s, with the things they stole from the American tourist (red jacket, passport etc.). You then see the friend dressed in the jacket, sunglasses and cap trying to draw £500 on the American’s credit card.
  • Sick-boy, Renton, Spud and Tommy on the train on their way to the countryside.
  • Renton dancing with his mother to culture club, at the club his parents go to.
  • Begbie, Sick-boy and Spud looting someone’s house. Sick-boy is wearing the skull mask from the cover of the book.
  • Renton and Spud steal a tv from an old people’s home. This is not edited together, but presented in 4 different takes, from three different camera angles.
  • Renton visits Swanney in hospital. Again this is not edited together, but presented in 11 different takes, from 5 different angles.
  • The deleted scene at the bus station begins with Renton giving a beggar some change; after Renton has moved on the beggar looks up and we see it is Swanney.
Author
Time
I seem to recall seeing most of these changes listed here some time ago, with the exeption of the dancing to culture club, and sick boy in the skull mask.

They were not edited into the film,just presented as deleted scenes, and some of them were very rough-cut(with a clock on sceen)i think.
Author
Time
Ah, was there a version where these had been added in, or the lot of clips preserved? I'd really love to see them - and ideally an extended cut of the film. I have a half memory of seeing the film when I was really young and Renton in the interview mentioning he went to Heriots school and was expelled, but I've never seen the clip since and as it's been so long I wonder if I'm imagining it and confusing it with information in the book.
Author
Time
No, i definitly seen that. Ive never read the book but i remember Renton said some spiel about being expelled for using hardcore drugs, injecting heroin and bunging stuff up his a*se. And i remeber seeing the mother superior in hospial with his leg amputated asking Renton to lick his leg stump. These were the most humorus parts in the film, yet they got cut.
Author
Time
Many thanks - I actually thought I might be losing it, and had completly imagined that scene! But is there any way I can see it again? I'd love to see an extended cut, I can't beleive they left all this off the "definitive" 2DVD set. Has anything been attempted before..?
Author
Time
I doubt it. Your asking a niche market here. Although you've got me youve got me very interested, i dont have this material......as yet. I will do some digging on this one though. I havent edited a movie as yet either but have done some work with home videos in the past - im not sure how different this may be for me. Aint making no promises here.
Author
Time
Please keep us posted if you come across the footage (I'll do the same), I don't know if there's anywhere better than here to ask though, are there other film preservation/fan-edit forums?
Author
Time
Yeah will do. Havent had no joy today but i'll keep searching anyways
Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hi guys , I bought the original limited edition box set for my husband , he was 1 of the lucky ones to have seen this before it got removed from the shelves . It’s still in mint condition . All accessories still in mint condition they have never been used . If anyone is interested in it please get in touch
Ps We also have Black and White unlimited postcards

Author
Time

lesley35 said:

Hi guys , I bought the original limited edition box set for my husband , he was 1 of the lucky ones to have seen this before it got removed from the shelves . It’s still in mint condition . All accessories still in mint condition they have never been used . If anyone is interested in it please get in touch
Ps We also have Black and White unlimited postcards

Would you sell it at all so i can make a fanedit ?