logo Sign In

Thread for all Usenet vs Torrent vs Rapidshare discussion

Author
Time

Anyone who spends time reading the threads in the Star Wars fan edits & preservations forum will recognise this typical exchange of posts:

Ady: I've just finished xyz. Going up in a.b.sw now.

Person A: I'm waiting for the torrent.

Person B: Is there a torrent yet?

Person C: Can someone upload to RS please?

Person Z: Why don't you just get newsgroups, better, faster, no seeding, yada yada yada...

Person A: too hard

Person B: too complicated

Person C: too expensive

... and so on.

Now I don't mind there being a discussion about the merits of different methods of project distribution, but at the moment it seems we have the same discussion in every f**king thread, and TBH it's getting a little boring reading the same arguments over and over.

Therefore, I have started this thread for all future newsgroups vs torrents discussion. Hopefully this will keep the actual project threads free from clutter and make it easier to follow the actual project.

Guidelines for post content and general behaviour: read announcement here

Max. allowable image sizes in signatures: reminder here

Author
Time

Does anyone ever worry about getting caught downloading the movies thats mentioned on these forums ? . In the U.K. a number of internet suppliers in conjunction with the B.P.I. sent out letters telling their customers to stop downloading movies and music , and some even supplied a list of "copyrite infringments " on each of the letters that was sent out . I was one of those people that got a letter advising me to stop ! ( actually it was my dad he pays the bills ) , my dad and i used to both download but no more !. Does anyone ever think this will happen to them ?.

The B.P.I. also tryed to get a number of internet suppliers to investigate their customers download history but most of them said no,as they said patrolling the internet wasnt their responsibility, well done those suppliers !. 

I would love to be able to download most of the stuff on these forums but with my ip address being watched im pretty much fu**ed !.

Author
Time

Can someone point me out to a site where I can get a free trial and I don't have to give out my credit card info?

Author
Time
BOBA FETT'S WIFE said:

Does anyone ever worry about getting caught downloading the movies thats mentioned on these forums ? . In the U.K. a number of internet suppliers in conjunction with the B.P.I. sent out letters telling their customers to stop downloading movies and music , and some even supplied a list of "copyrite infringments " on each of the letters that was sent out . I was one of those people that got a letter advising me to stop ! ( actually it was my dad he pays the bills ) , my dad and i used to both download but no more !. Does anyone ever think this will happen to them ?.

The B.P.I. also tryed to get a number of internet suppliers to investigate their customers download history but most of them said no,as they said patrolling the internet wasnt their responsibility, well done those suppliers !. 

I would love to be able to download most of the stuff on these forums but with my ip address being watched im pretty much fu**ed !.

try Pipex...never had a problem with them.

http://avpspreservations.blogspot.com

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I personally hate usenet, newsgroups and rapidshit.

Paying for usenet access, private torrents or newgroups is kind of funny how do you pay money to do a damn illegal thing?,lol

And in no way are they more private or safe they are also required to hand over the names of people and their ip adress and report them to their isp,    by law if someone is breaking it and they have a judges written order to do so.   Or if the ISP knows you are doing it they are supposed to hand over your info to them.

If you have verizon like i do it is against their service agreement and they can terminate your contract with you without warning.  Then send you an e-mail telling you have been cut off and they are giving your name to the proper authorities, has not happened to me does not make it any less real of a threat.

I don't know the laws of european countries, or canada.  But in the us we are beholden to the berne convention, international copyright law and interpol.  And there is a little thing president Clinton signed into law called the digital millennium copyright act.

And with Big brother out there watching all nobody is safe or secret, nobody has privacy.   Welcome to the world of the lawful espionage the gov does on its people in the name of national security.

Does not matter that said spying or espionage is against the us constitution, as far as i have heard, i have not read the document myself in extenso. Why let a little thing like that get in the way,lol.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
skyjedi2005 said:

I personally hate usenet, newsgroups and rapids*it.

Paying for usenet access, private torrents or newgroups is kind of funny how do you pay money to do a da*n illegal thing?,lol

And with Big brother out there watching all nobody is safe or secret, nobody has privacy.   Welcome to the world of the lawful espionage the gov does on its people in the name of national security.

you're already paying for internet access (unless you pirate that also)..

paying a little extra is no big deal, newsgroup access is included in my

account... private torrent sites like demonoid, you only need an invite..

and how hard is it to mask your ip anonymously? pretty easy..

i have no problems in doing any/all of these things..

be seeing you

+1

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time

AvP, thank you for taking the time to upload. I don't use RS sites myself but I'm sure that others appreciate it.

My intention for this thread in the off-topic forum was as an alternative place for all the "Usenet vs torrents vs RS discussion" we were getting in the project threads. I don't mind if you want to put posts like the one above - which is basically just an announcement - in the actual project thread.

Author
Time

I love love love RS sites.  With a program like jdownloader you can pull down a full DVD edit in a day or two with a free account, all done with one click of the mouse.

Author
Time

8t88 said:

Boomstick said:

Thanks Adywan for these terrific creations, I really can't wait to sit and watch them.

I'm currently downloading Episodes IV & V but can anyone send me Episode I as I'm having a hard time sourcing a download. Money's tight, so please don't tell me to hit the newsgroups. I've already considered that and I really can't afford it.

I'm in the UK if that's any help to anyone.

What a BS that you cannot afford usenet, there are usenet servers which make it possible to send an SMS per day u use. That will be a lot cheaper then anyone from here copying a DVD and then mail it to you........

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV's Frink said:

Why not use Rapidshare?  Just use Jdownloader, give it the links, and it will do it the download automatically for free.

8t88 said:

because usenet is much faster and less hassle........

Oberron said:

Frink- I've checked out JDownloader and it looks like a good program, but unless I'am missing something I would still have a 15min wait between         every file with Rapidshare, unless I purchase an account.

TV's Frink said:

Oberron said:

Frink- I've checked out JDownloader and it looks like a good program, but unless I'am missing something I would still have a 15min wait between every file with Rapidshare, unless I purchase an account.

No, you are correct.  You still have to wait 15 minutes between downloads if you want to do it for free, plus your download speed is limited.  But the thing is, once you start the first download, you no longer have to do anything else.  You can start it up, and go to sleep, work, whatever, and it will just keep plugging away for you.  Yeah, it might take a couple of days depeneding on your speed and the size of the files, but what more could you want for free?  Unless you *have* to have the edit that day, it's a great way to go.

8t88 said:

because usenet is much faster and less hassle........

I don't know usenet so I can't argue it being faster or not.  But Jdownloader is so automated, how could you consider it a hassle?

Author
Time

Concerning usenet being much faster and less hassle than RS through jdownloader, speaking as someone who has used both methods in the past, I'd have to say the setup hassle is about the same, only with RS and jdownloader you do not have to hassle with signing up for newsgroup access.

As for much faster, RS is quite speedy. No, it is not as fast as newsgroups, but if you just practice a little bit of patience you get what you with very little hassle. A 4gb fanedit might take you a little over a day to pull down, as opposed to several hours through newgroups, but when you consider the price difference... I can wait a few hours more. Also, considering newsgroup places like giganews get the majority of their business from people wanting to use it for piracy, I'd rather not throw my money their way.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

I just don't have the money to put into Usenet, and I don't think that one should have to pay for better access. I like using RS or MU with jdownloader, but my school blocks almost every downloading site whatsoever. Thus no torrents, RS, or anything! It's not like I download commercially available titles! All I've ever grabbed are fan edits, OOP titles, or things never released.

I'd go for Usenet in a heartbeat just for the fantastic projects on this site, but I just can't afford it now. I'll definitely do the Giganews free trial when a good 97SE set is finished.

Thanks, AvP for the posts to tehparadox, will have to wait though since RS is blocked for me :(

VADER!? WHERE THE HELL IS MY MOCHA LATTE? -Palpy on a very bad day.
“George didn’t think there was any future in dead Han toys.”-Harrison Ford
YT channel:
https://www.youtube.com/c/DamnFoolIdealisticCrusader

Author
Time

Hello folks.

On top of all my other Christmas woe-ho-hos, I've just discovered that the better half has accidentally deleted almost all my Star Wars prequel fan-edit collection (including some edits of other people's edits that I had been working on...grrr).

To top it all off the back-up drive has also been emptied so I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

I will have to check what I have burned to DVD.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to try and reclaim what was lost.

I've hardly used rapidshare before let alone anything else and I'm trying to get back JasonN's prequel trilogy, Slumberland's trilogy. the Magnolia fan versions, ADM's extended versions (thankfully Adywan's ANH:R and ANH:HD were on another drive for reasons unknown to me but they are recoverable and all the ESB:R clips are still on my laptop so I don't have to go back and get them again). I'm sure there were other edits that have gone west too but I can't remember for sure what they might be (I will have to look through Frink's list).

What a bloody Christmas!

What's the best way to reclaim these without having to hunt around for months? I'm ideally looking for somewhere which has most if not all of what was lost in one place.

If the answers to these questions (PM's may help get around this) or the questions themselves are problematic to the no-link policy of the forum let me know and I will pull this post.

I collected these originally before the massive attack on torrent sites and that avenue doesn't seem to be a very viable option anymore for fan-edit distribution.

Author
Time

Bingo,

I'll PM you the easiest way to get the links for RS.  And use jdownloader with the links - it will make free downloading a snap.

Author
Time

Thanks Mr F.

Claws and tentacles crossed that should do it.

Author
Time

Frankly, I do not understand why people aren't using MegaUpload over Rapidshare.  Let's do a comparison:

When using Cryptloader or JDownloader:

MegaUpload:
- 2 to 5 minute wait time between file downloading
- Cryptloader will download multiple MegaUpload files from different groups

Rapidshare:
- 15 minute wait time between file downloading
- Cryptloader will only download one Rapidshare file at a time.  Period.

“You people must realize that the public owns you for life, and when you’re dead, you’ll all be in commercials dancing with vacuum cleaners.”

– Homer Simpson

Author
Time

Monroville said:

Frankly, I do not understand why people aren't using MegaUpload over Rapidshare.  Let's do a comparison:

When using Cryptloader or JDownloader:

MegaUpload:
- 2 to 5 minute wait time between file downloading
- Cryptloader will download multiple MegaUpload files from different groups

Rapidshare:
- 15 minute wait time between file downloading
- Cryptloader will only download one Rapidshare file at a time.  Period.

And average DL speed:

Megaupload: around 500 to 800 kb/s

Rapidshare: now around 50 to 150 kb/s

!!! I don't understand neither.

ESB AUDIOPHILE EDITION

The EMPIRE STRIKES BACK Score: "All-Sourced" Restoration & Sonic Achievement.

Author
Time

I do whenever faced with the option!

IT'S MY TRILOGY, AND I WANT IT NOW!

"[George Lucas] rebooted the franchise in 1997 without telling anyone." -skyjedi2005

"Yeah, well, George says a lot of things..." a young 1997 xhonzi on RASSM

"They're my movies." -George Lucas. 19 people won oscars for their work on Star Wars (1977) and George Lucas wasn't one of them.

Rewrite the Prequels!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

none said:

Some programs/concepts for consideration: Share, Tribler, Netkups, RetroShare.  Anyone use, have opinions?

http://www.getshareapp.com/

http://tribler.org/trac/wiki/whatIsTribler

http://netkups.com/?page=faq

http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/

Throw out others for consideration.

haven't tried these yet..

but might need them for 

a future release..

don't know if anyone wants to

use these proprietary formats

and platforms either..

hmmm...