logo Sign In

.: The XØ Project - Laserdisc on Steroids :. (SEE FIRST POST FOR UPDATES) (* unfinished project *) — Page 79

Author
Time
MeBeJedi said:

For what it's worth. I am still willing to finish the X0 Project. However, I've not heard anything from Zion on our private board since July 13th, and his last post here was August 6, 2008.

Thanks for the info MBJ! What about:

* who determines whether The XØ Project moves ahead (or, for that matter, who must pronounce that it is ended)?

* assuming the project has been "effectively abandon", what can be done to make it's resources accessible to our interested parties here? At the very least, I'm sure many of us would like details on the techniques you guys used (that is, beyond the generalities posted here).

* can you give us a practical update of the project's progress (before you lost contact)?

Author
Time

A progress report was never given, and that was intentional on their part. I don't think anyone besides Zion and Laserman know how much of the project was completed. 

Author
Time

We all feel for Laserman, but let's face it, Zion spent the lunch money on hand buzzers and nobody's ever gonna see this project in material form. I'm just being gay, but It's so true. This project sucks on Jar Jar while the Queen mother watches.  I wan't my money back. I could really use a wax box of Laffs Full House/Family Matters/Perfect Strangers trading cards.

HARMY RULES

Author
Time

Rob.  For the love of god.  Stay out of this thread if you have nothing constructive to say other than "You guys are wasting your time," since, well, that's not constructive.

And you made a donation, which is NOT even REMOTELY a guarantee of an end product.  A DONATION, NOT an investment.  You have no right to ask for your money back.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don't think anyone besides Zion and Laserman know how much of the project was completed.

Well, Laserman was the certainly the most technically advanced of all of us, but his contributions were largely intellectual after he handed out the AVIs to us. His contacts in our private boards have been sporadic, but the last I've heard from him was April 18. He was going to have some testing done.

Zion was in the process of building up a new computer for higher-level programming, but neither I nor anyone else who regularly contacts him has been able to make any contact with him for months now. I've tried a Whois on his website to look for address/phone information, and some searches on PeopleFinder based on his last known address. Unfortunately, he was between moves at the time, and I'm not sure how valid the information I have on him is anymore. (In addition to his personal health and welfare, I'm also a bit concerned about the LD I sent him from my Definitive Collection set. :( )

So, at this point, I may have to archive the technical aspects of what had been discussed (before Z's webite goes down), and see if I can replicate them on my own without L's assistance. I have some of the software, and could give it an attempt, but I still need to finish the speck-removal I was working on. That's been on hiatus for a while, but I could get back to it this month.

That's about the best info I can give you guys right now. Sorry it's not great. The project's certainly not dead, but with 2 of its members gone, it's a bit of a zombie.

[EDIT] By the way...anyone know of a quick way to archive a whole website?

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: You aren’t one of us.
<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

<span class=“Italics”>JediRandy: I won’t suck as much as a fan edit.</span>

Author
Time

wget -m?

Powerful tool if you can figure it out.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

@MeBeJedi

Dr. M

Author
Time

[EDIT] By the way...anyone know of a quick way to archive a whole website?

I'm not sure if you mean something like HTTrack???

Author
Time

Fantastic news, MeBe...  :)

Glad to know that the project isn't dead, and sincerely hope the best for Laserman and Zion

Author
Time
Doctor M said:

@MeBeJedi

I dunno....it's beginning to feel like a curse now.... :(

<span class=“Italics”>MeBeJedi: Sadly, I believe the prequels are beyond repair.
<span class=“Bold”>JediRandy: They’re certainly beyond any repair you’re capable of making.</span></span>

<span class=“Bold”>Go-Mer-Tonic: I can’t say I find that very disappointing.</span></span>

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Huh... does Zion still have the raw capture? Just out of curiosity, of course. I'm, of course, referring to this one:http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6060/anhx08qq.jpg It was of the DC, yes?

Also: It seems there was a screener released.
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6876/tcprint048fc.jpgWhat happened to this?

edit:  Wasn't it said that you had Zion's snail mail somewhere?

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

Yes, it was said.....by me, no less.

And I have my own set of copies of the capture as well. That's what I was doing the speck-removal on.

Author
Time
MeBeJedi said:

By the way...anyone know of a quick way to archive a whole website?

Perhaps a spider? Try Teleport Pro at http://www.tenmax.com/teleport/pro/home.htm . It's shareware and "fully functional (but capacity-limited)". It'll crawl through every link and grab every page (and you can specify multiple pages for dead-end retrievals). If everything is nicely organized (or if you're clever), you can break the retrievals into smaller pieces and use the shareware to do the entire job. ;)

BTW, great job on the restoration (and thanks for the updates)!

Author
Time

That screen grab from the leaked Timecode X-0 screener actually looks worse than the Gout.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

What did you expect from a JPG?

Author
Time

MeBeJedi,

Do you think its plausable that you could finish the speck and defect removal fromthe OT trilogy, maybe do the color correction that restores the star fields that you showed on the X0 website and then release the release these that way? Even without laserman's black magic process I bet these would be superior to the gout with your work done to them....

I love everybody. Lets all smoke some reefer and chill. Hug and kisses for everybody.

Author
Time

Certainly...I've just got to share time with other video projects as well as my family. I've been buying a 1Tb drive every month to offload and group various projects from the smattering of 150, 250 and 500Gb drives I've got lying around, and I need to get my X0 files off that measly 250GB drive on to something larger.

Author
Time

I asked this a while ago but don't think it was ever answered:

Were ESB and ROTJ transferred via X0 as well, or just ANH?

If it was just ANH, would it be possible to get ESB and ROTJ transferred at this point, or is it too late for that?

Author
Time

All three films were transferred.

Author
Time

Best news I've heard all day.  (Though honestly, any bit of remotely good news today would take that title, but that is fantastic news nonetheless)

Hopefully all three will see release in the future.

Author
Time
MeBeJedi said:

Certainly...I've just got to share time with other video projects as well as my family. I've been buying a 1Tb drive every month to offload and group various projects from the smattering of 150, 250 and 500Gb drives I've got lying around, and I need to get my X0 files off that measly 250GB drive on to something larger.

That is wonderful news. I think most people would be more than thrilled and thankful for an OUT trilogy like that.

And if you ever hear from Laserman, let him know that we miss his input on this board and has been in our thoughts and prayers....

I love everybody. Lets all smoke some reefer and chill. Hug and kisses for everybody.

Author
Time

I agree with vbangle, both on the fact that we'd be grateful and the fact that we're thinking of Laserman and we miss him.

Author
Time

Now, just in the interest of community as well the people who already donated money to this project (that to me appears to be dead, I'm sorry to say) -- why not post a h264 encode of the raw captures at a lossless quantisation level to for instance Usenet? That would make one film end up at about 15gigs at SD resolution, making it manageable for a usenet post and many NEW projects could spawn off the work that way already done, breathing new life into this thing?

Author
Time

Thirded.  I wonder when MeBe'll pop in here...