The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Director's Cut :: 1 > 70

• Print
The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Director's Cut
I've read about this film in other posts/threads on here and I'm interested. Being that the film was never seen as intended, as you say, it is great to see it being preserved. Having heard only a little on the film, I still find myself wanting to see it. I'm glad that you are undertaking such a project. The mountains of praise for the Star Wars: Classic Edition series is proof that you are capable of doing a worthy restoration. I say that the praise is proof because I'm one of the fools who hasn't secured copies of any of the Classic Edition DVDs yet. Anyway, enough ranting from me.

Look forward to seeing this project progress.

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com

I've gotta say, I've never heard of this flick before, but now I'm hella interested in checking it out. I think I'll wait for this edition rather than watching the currently-available version first.
If you want to contact me, please, please email me. My PMs are turned off because I just plain don't like dealing in PM space. If you email me at reverendbeastly AT gmail DOT com, I will respond swiftly. Thanks!
I'm guessing Disney's plans for a complete restoration were shuffled when Roy left. I'm really interested in seeing what you wind up with, ocp.

Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men.
Han Solo: I'm a nice man.

Out of curiosity, what extra materials did you procure in order to do this project, and where did you get it from? I would imagine that this extra artwork and whatnot wouldn't just be freely floating about on the internet. But I'm definitely interested in checking this out.

Considering how good a job you've done on your projects (Star Wars comes to mind), would it be possible for you to document what you do as you go about the process of reworking this film, and include it as a documentary with the film? Because I know when I was flipping through your Star Wars disc, I was a little frustrated because I wanted to know the details, scene-by-scene in some cases, as to where the elements were coming from, the techniques you used, and the sources you used for your work. Your work is fantastic, and I think that documenting your techniques and sources would be really helpful for other people out there that are interesting in trying something like this out, or even just for the sake of curiosity.

Good luck on your project.

Edit:
BTW, on another site dedicated to this movie, I happened to come across a post, which in part read:
Just managed to land a first-gen copy of a Thames TV documentary on Richard Williams done in the early '80s relating to the production of the film that cost me plenty on eBay.

If anybody knows anything about this, I would imagine that OCP would be interested in landing a copy of this.
Thank you for the info.

As far as doing commentaries, why not do it if you happen to have a slow day, for either Deleted Magic or your Star Wars restorations. Just sit down and record it, encode it to mp3 at a bitrate of, say, 24-64 kbps, and up it your site? It'd be something kinda different...
I've heard abou this film for years and years, so being finally able to see it will be
a blast. Thanks again for what will surely be another classic.

WIn

p.s. dont worry about being egotistical, a lot of us would LOVE to hear commentaries on
your discs, and it wouldnt be an ego thing anyway, just providing info for most of us.
You know you might be able to lift the dialog from the Japanese laserdisc as long as it's recorded in some form of stereo (ProLogic preferably).

Using software like GraphEdit with a ProLogic2 decoder you could isolate the center channel which would be very nearly what you are looking for.
Just a thought.
Dr. M

I think he said, 'death rabbits.'
ocpmovie:
When you say, a 'good' copy of the Australian version (of 'The Princess and the Cobbler'), do you mean a tape or what? I'm not sure if the Australian version was widescreen or not, but there's a fullscreen DVD available of this version.

To contact me outside the forum, for trades and such my email address is my OT.com username @gmail.com

I don't know if there's any point bringing it up, but if you need the Miramax cut at all (I'm assuming the DVD isn't widescreen), then the LaserDisc (which is widescreen) is available on ebay at the moment, right here.

I'll be damned, so it was released in widescreen in some form. Hmmmm.

Just an idea, to distinguish this restoration from everything else that's floating around (the hackjob commercial releases, the work prints, etc.) why not go back to the old title of "Once," or some derivative thereof? It has kind of a sad, wistful sound to it, which definitely correlates to the crapstorm that surrounds this movie. And it's the only one of the original titles that was never used.
Strange as it may seem, if this gets made, it would be very interesting to see the castrated "producer's version" included as a "bonus feature", too. (The dubbed and cut one from USA, with new voices, etc.)

That has been done for example with "Brazil" on the official DVD - there's an extra disc with a weird US version which is cut so much it would make Beria and Stalin wince, and which has an idiotic "happy ending".
Eh...with the concerns about bootlegging and whatnot, I don't know how good of an idea that would be. I don't think OCP has ever put out a version of something that was commercially available in that form. Plus, there are two two different hackjobs available to choose from. I say screw that, and use the space for the extras, such as the documentary.
Members reading this topic: None