logo Sign In

Post #170365

Author
ocpmovie
Parent topic
The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Director's Cut (Released)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/170365/action/topic#170365
Date created
15-Jan-2006, 2:19 AM
>>I know when I was flipping through your Star Wars disc, I was a little frustrated because I wanted to know the details, scene-by-scene in some cases, as to where the elements were coming from, the techniques you used, and the sources you used for your work.

Thanks for being that interested ... I appreciate it. The sources on Classic Edition should be pretty obvious ... I've almost wanted to do a commentary on Deleted Magic, as that's a bit more complicated, and it might have been fun to do. But too egotistical.

I've tried to go into some detail in the threads as I'm creating a project, but really I don't feel like my sources and methods are interesting enough to merit a lot of discussion.

I wound up explaining a lot of my editing philosopy when I was giving notes to Jambe Davdar the other day ...

Hmm.

Maybe I'll say a few things. If you have any questions, ask 'em in the thread for that project. Maybe the Jedi thread?

About the Thief ...

Let's see ... well, Eddie Bowers sent me a long SLP tape years ago ... I wish he'd recorded it SP. I've asked him for better copies, but I can't reach him these days ... I was waiting for new tapes for six years! Since I did the LAST edit of this ...

Anyway. Recently someone sent me an SP copy of the workprint. This workprint is floating around. The quality is not very good, and it reflects the film in a very unfinished stage, but with audio that can be used to reconstruct the film as it should be.

This workprint was also on Eddie's SLP tape. He also included The Princess and the Cobbler, which is the Australian version of the film - basically the film before Miramax got ahold of it. It's still a badly reworked version, but not quite as bad.

There were also a few documentaries on Eddie's tape.

>> Just managed to land a first-gen copy of a Thames TV documentary on Richard Williams done in the early '80s relating to the production of the film that cost me plenty on eBay.

I had a bad copy of this documentary, and recently Baby Hum sent me a copy of it where the quality was much better ... so probably from the same source!