logo Sign In

Post #170344

Author
ocpmovie
Parent topic
The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Director's Cut (Released)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/170344/action/topic#170344
Date created
14-Jan-2006, 11:45 PM
Doctor M writes:

>>I know it's off topic, but YOU brought it up OCP...
What are you plans for Thief and the Cobbler? Since it was never really completed are you going to leave it unfinished?
I assume you're going to take existing higher quality releases and reconstructing the bootleg work print from them?

I actually think the film WAS pretty much finished when it was taken away from Williams - I restored the film 6 years ago and the Miramax and Calvert cuts show signs that it was essentially complete.

However, that doesn't help us as I don't have access to the scenes they cut out. Neither do they, apparently - it's said that much of it is lost, though I suspect that Williams somehow managed to keep it all anyway.

So yes, there will be a few scenes that appear in bootleg quality, and scenes that appear as storyboards and pencil tests.

The real surprise will be how much of the film is actually finished, though. Nearly all of it is.

I will have to use a few shots that were finished by other, less talented animators, but that's the way it goes. Many of them are from the animators' original pencil drawings, so it works fairly well.

The unfinished scenes don't interrupt your enjoyment of the movie - I rather like seeing the movie this way.

And there will be less of them than you'd expect from watching the workprint - most of the material that was unfinished at that point was finished in time for Miramax ... You can even see that Williams was still adding crazy stuff that wasn't in the workprint.