logo Sign In

The Puggo Edition - webpage and screenshots (Super 8 transfers - Released) — Page 8

Author
Time

Damn, looks like a really nice early print run too. Pity it seems to be a UK only auction.

The Jedi artwork on the box is normal for a Derann print. ;)

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Damn, looks like a really nice early print run too. Pity it seems to be a UK only auction.

The Jedi artwork on the box is normal for a Derann print. ;)

in the auction it says this:

I am willing to post internationally at cost but this will be arranged after the auction. 

----

later

[no GOUT in CED?-> GOUT CED]

Author
Time

Is somebody of you guys bidding on the Derran print ?

Author
Time

Tempted, but the auction won't even show up on the U.S. site for me.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Thanks for the tip.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

1200 ft. reels are going to be an even bigger pain than the Derann 600 reels are currently.

You'd think somebody on here would know someone with the skills to make a custom reel with one of those 3D printers.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

geez... If I had the disposable income right now, I'd be all over that... It's becoming a stronger & stronger dream of mine to have an actual scope print of each star wars film to project in my home... 8 or maybe 16mm is what I'd want (35 would be insanely awesome, but is just totally unrealistic).

Author
Time

Is somebody of you guys bidding on this ? I am SERIOUSLY thinking about buying this but I have no equipment for transferring it myself

Author
Time

There have been no additional bids since red5 posted the link, and the reserve still hasn't been met. The auction ends tomorrow, so if anyone wants to try for it, they can.

Author
Time

The seller added a youtube clip to the auction.

I really need to lug my old Elmo projector out, and see if it can take those big monster reels.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Wow, the color looks amazing. Again, it has that warm 70s feeling mverta mentioned. I get this feeling almost like I'm seeing it in a theater in '77.

He's also selling an anamorphic lens bracket for an extra $100. It says it's for an Elmo GS1200 or ST1200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elmo-Super-8-Anamorphic-Bracket-Kowa-Projector-Cinemascope-/180824588490?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item2a19fc40ca

Silverwook, if yours is a "__-1200" model then it can take 1200' reels. I know someone modified an ST-800 so it could run them, but I know nothing about film projection so I don't know how difficult it would be.

Now that I think of it, the 1200' length is actually a blessing in disguise. Since it's on two 1200' reels instead of four 600' reels, I'm assuming that theatrical reels 1-3 are on reel 1, and reels 4-6 are on reel 2. If you're not concerned with devaluing the print, you could cut the film at the original reel changes and make six 400' reels.

Author
Time

wow that is awesome.  I really hope somebody here is brave enough to grab it!

Author
Time

TServo2049 said:

He's also selling an anamorphic lens bracket for an extra $100. It says it's for an Elmo GS1200 or ST1200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elmo-Super-8-Anamorphic-Bracket-Kowa-Projector-Cinemascope-/180824588490?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item2a19fc40ca

Silverwook, if yours is a "__-1200" model then it can take 1200' reels. I know someone modified an ST-800 so it could run them, but I know nothing about film projection so I don't know how difficult it would be.

Now that I think of it, the 1200' length is actually a blessing in disguise. Since it's on two 1200' reels instead of four 600' reels, I'm assuming that theatrical reels 1-3 are on reel 1, and reels 4-6 are on reel 2. If you're not concerned with devaluing the print, you could cut the film at the original reel changes and make six 400' reels.

Thanks for the info. If I can find my take up reel that came with it, I'll know for certain. I had to spool a reel of a troublesome print onto it as it literally kept flying off the original reel.

Another idea I've been considering is finding out if I could get my Elmo built into one of these telecine units I've been seeing on Ebay as of late.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elmo-Movie-Projector-Telecine-Video-Transfer-Unit-Dual-8-Built-In-HD-Camera-/130648349221?pt=US_Movie_Slide_Projectors&hash=item1e6b3f9a25

Don't know how the specs compare to Puggo's gear though.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

What do you think of my idea to cut the print up into six reels if your equipment can't take 1200'? As I said before, seeing as the film is on two reels, I have a hunch that they split it at the change between reels 3 and 4.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah, thinking about it, I probably wouldn't be able to either. But even if it can't be transferred, or even run, on any equipment any of us have, I believe it's still something that one of us should get for the future, if we do ever get the means to view or transfer 1200' reels.

The opportunity to obtain an unfaded print of Star Wars doesn't come along very often. This is literally the only LPP print I have ever seen, in any gauge, with the '77 crawl. The color in the photos and excerpt look beautiful. I'm willing to bet that when your 16mm prints were brand new, they looked something like this.

Author
Time

As I posted in the memorabilia subforum, I'm going for this print. Luckily, my birthday was very recent, and I received a good sum of money. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to bid. I don't think I have transfer equipment that's nearly as good as Puggo's, but at least I've got one of these types of things:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIDEO-TRANSFER-Telecine-8mm-Movies-Slides-Film-Digital-DVD-/330696325856?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cff097ae0

Hopefully, the quality will be beyond decent. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, though.

Screen grooming.  A most underrated activity. - hairy_hen

The mic was in picture!

^_^