logo Sign In

The Prequel Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 265

Author
Time

brimforge said:

^ Nice one, so maybe one or more actors can be changed ;-)

interesting, that once DiCaprio was considered to play Anakin.

Damn, I'm glad he didn't though, nobody could deliver those lines in a convincing way, and poor Leo's career probably wouldn't have taken off as much as it has. It seems Natalie Portman was the only young actor/actress to do some good movies after the prequels:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/natalie-portman-blames-star-wars-prequels-for-almost-ruining-her-career-everyone-thought-i-was-a-horrible-actress-9933636.html

Prequel Fan-Edit thread: http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Yet-another-series-of-prequel-edits/id/17329

Author
Time

to begin with, Lucas should have never directed any of the PTs ...

and with any better director even Hayden would have given a better performance (see other movies), same with Natalie, she shines in other movies, because the person/s behind the camera know/s how to guide the actors ;-)

Which is kind of funny, as actors like McDermid and McGregor do their thing and it works even with the few help from Lucas ...

well, and the fact, that the story and plot of Episode 1-3 isn't as solid as it could have been.

Author
Time

Has anyone suggested/worked on prequel edits where Jedi are allowed to marry and Anakin and Padme aren’t hiding it?

Preferred Saga:
1/2: Hal9000
3: L8wrtr
4/5: Adywan
6-9: Hal9000

Author
Time

Earlier in this thread (I think) I suggested that somehow Palpatine could use Padme’s life energy to heal Vader and that this could explain why she dies young (just not that young).
I saw a youtube video recently where someone else made a similar suggestion as a way to make Palpatine more proactive in Anakin’s journey to become Vader rather than just giving an already loose cannon a gentle tap.
I don’t know how this could be explained editorially (perhaps a line or two could be given to a masked or CGI character).
We have in the Original films evidence of the Empire using Tuskens as cover for their own activities so Palpatine could have done the same trick to Anakin. Making him a stronger Jedi than he would have been by draining energy from his mother into her son (which manifests as prophetic dreams).
Similarly this could add another element to Palpatine pitting father against son counting on the winner getting a power boost from the compassionate link with the loser.
Heck! It could even explain the Jedi no nookie policy as it stops the temptation to use spouses as turbo chargers.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Another idea for a change that might sound odd to start with but bear with me.
It would take a lot of work and the effect may seem superficial but I noticed that monochrome edits of the prequels work better for me. I was trying think this out and I remembered how in ROTJ:SE they changed Seb Shaw’s eye colour and removed his eyebrows to make him seem more like Hayden.
What I’m proposing is the opposite.
What if Hayden (Jake too) and Nat swapped their hair and eye colours.
That way Luke would look more like Vader’s wife and he would be able to more clearly make that match between her in pain and his son in pain (this might be compounded if he only used Force Lightning once on Padme, instead of choking her which only really made sense to me as an expression of Vader’s inability to breath unaided after the following battle).
Anakin under Vader’s mask would look more like Anakin in the PT without having to change the OT as much.
We would subconsciously see Leia as being more at risk of succumbing to the Dark Side because she was dark haired like her father, rather than being the same sort of diplomat that her mother was.
In the current films we’re are meant to make that connection between Luke and Anakin but the defining moment of Luke’s journey is snapping at his father and almost becoming him but pulling back.
That is sold to us by Leia being in jeopardy from her own parent so making her parent more like her than Luke is the sort of visual storytelling that the OT did well but the PT did terribly.
Still a lot of work for something probably only I can see but I’d be interested in hearing what other people think of this.
It might not even be something that can be done convincingly.

Author
Time

While theoretically this could be done, it would take a tremendous amount of work and no shortage of skill to make convincing. To me, the visual poetry (“you know, it rhymes”) that this would emphasize would go over most people’s heads and even though it’s a fun idea, I don’t think the amount of work involved is worth it, personally. I think it’s more important to draw parallels emotionally through what the characters do, more than how they look.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Redoing each and every laser bolt in any Star Wars movie is proof of potential effort. It isn’t however proof of value.

It would be along the lines of effort of changing all the Fremen eyes in an extended cut of Dune (what with Anakin and Padme not being in every shot together) and that has been done a couple of times I think.

Author
Time

Just encase it isn’t already in here :

DuracellEnergizer said:

Bingowings said:

Padme’s world defended by gleaming chrome plated Y-wings would have sold the transition better.

You should bring this idea up in “The Prequel Radical Redux Ideas Thread” (if you haven’t already).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So in light of the impending release of episode VII - has anyone thought of ideas which might tie the PT to the ST? Lucas allegedly once said pre-PT that the threat within an ST would be revealed during the PT.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Maybe the idea of balance to the Force could carry over into the ST.
In TPM there are thousands of Jedi and two Sith.
By the start of ANH there are two Jedi and two Sith, Masters and Apprentices.
Ben takes Luke as his apprentice upsetting the balance and is killed by Vader resetting the balance.
Then Yoda dies upsetting the balance leading to Palpatine’s death at the hand of Anakin and his own eventual death.
This leaves two, a potential Master and Apprentice where one is a Jedi and the other choked Jabba and choked Lando by proxy 😄

Author
Time

ben_danger said:

So in light of the impending release of episode VII - has anyone thought of ideas which might tie the PT to the ST? Lucas allegedly once said pre-PT that the threat within an ST would be revealed during the PT.

Well we kind of have to see EpVII before we can even think of ways to connect the trilogies.

Author
Time

Darth Lucas said:

ben_danger said:

Well we kind of have to see EpVII before we can even think of ways to connect the trilogies.

Yes - this is true obviously - but there is no harm throwing ideas right? And especially in light of the extended Star Wars Lore that is growing in light of the new films.

An agenda on this forum when editting the PT is how it should always be made to fit with the OT. So sometimes this is visually, musically, or adjusting details in the story etc. Sometimes there are certain features such as the overwhelming use of exotic aliens, landscapes and spaceships which would have been impossible in the 70s/80s which make it not fit. Much of this bias might shift in light of the ST, which seems to synthesise both from what the trailers are suggesting.

Two ideas that were batted around ages ago that seemed a bit ‘un-star warsy’ at the time, might have more legitimacy now for instance -

A masked villain in TPM, who is unmasked in AOTC - revealed to be Count Dooku. Ep7 reveals additional factions of dark jedi which have started up since the end of ep6 - could something similar be used at the start of the saga? An additionally filmed actor with a mask would bring a welcome consistent villain for the PT.

I suggested ages ago that GEONOSIS could be a sort of ‘travelling planet’ - so a plot point would be the republic trying to track it down as it is being used as a sort of mobile base. A bit absurd - and no idea how it would work - but in light of what may be suggested in certain film posters, planet wide enemy base isn’t too unfeasible?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Well, for Phantom Menace, I suggested (Actually I was making it, but couldn’t finish it as I lost most of my data when my secondary HDD crashed the first time. It recently crashed a second time, I should probably replace the damn thing.) minimizing the appearance of both Jar Jar Binks and Anakin without butchering the movie. (and in a way that makes sense.) Removing Jar Jar Binks from the Tattoine sequence (lets say he was told to stay on the ship, because he has no reason to be there other than pissing the viewer off.) and removing Anakin altogether after the he reaches the Jedi temple (lets say they told Anakin to stay in the temple and wait for them to return. Because WHY THE HELL would they take a child to a warzone? He really has no place in the second half of the movie. They should meet him in Tattoine, take him to the Jedi temple and leave him there.) And both of them should be dubbed by better voice actors for all three movies. Other than that, this movie should have shown us what the republic was like before it was defeated by the empire, it should have shown us the strength of the republic instead of a little kid accidentally saving the galaxy. Like in episode IV, empire was the most powerful without a doubt, it had a vicious presence, but in the prequels, while the republic should be at their prime, an incredible force to be reckoned with, they just seem weak and incredibly helpless. It should be more like the original trilogy without giving away the mysteries that made the originals great and without trying to poorly imitate it. Little Anakin accidentally" pilots a fighter and destroys a spaceship? Really? Why did they even tried to imitate Luke? That should have been reserved for Luke. (and he didn’t do it by accident mind you) Anakin should be his own person rather than trying to create “like father like son” in reverse. In the first movie Anakin should be a talented little kid, but only that, just a little kid. No more being born without a father like Jesus or him doing things even a master Jedi couldn’t do as a kid. I can’t believe how stupid the whole thing is. You could remove Jar Jar and Anakin from the 90% of the movie and guess what, that would make a better movie.

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away..

Author
Time

I’ve never thought of mirroring the ‘golden age’ of the republic in TPM to what was the ‘golden age’ of the empire in ANH.

Imagine presenting the republic as a sort of super-alderaan, so there are NO weapons anywhere - because there haven’t been any wars for generations. The Jedi’s use of lightsabers might even be representative of a sort of regression of sorts that swords are enough to keep order where needed.

Battle droids with tanks and guns might be a tad more intimidating in that setting - but I’m not sure how much of a lead up that would need to make it impactful. You couldn’t have the first portion of the film just pouring over peaceful environments!

Totally agree about Anakin! Leave him behind - he should just be a background character in that story. I often wonder if it would work to open TPM with Tatooine and Qui-Gon - whilst simultaneously introducing the Naboo fugitives.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ben_danger said:

I’ve never thought of mirroring the ‘golden age’ of the republic in TPM to what was the ‘golden age’ of the empire in ANH.

Imagine presenting the republic as a sort of super-alderaan, so there are NO weapons anywhere - because there haven’t been any wars for generations. The Jedi’s use of lightsabers might even be representative of a sort of regression of sorts that swords are enough to keep order where needed.

Battle droids with tanks and guns might be a tad more intimidating in that setting - but I’m not sure how much of a lead up that would need to make it impactful. You couldn’t have the first portion of the film just pouring over peaceful environments!

Totally agree about Anakin! Leave him behind - he should just be a background character in that story. I often wonder if it would work to open TPM with Tatooine and Qui-Gon - whilst simultaneously introducing the Naboo fugitives.

Yeah, but people in SW universe is no stranger to conflict and they are not supposed to be so weak. Empire and the Emperor would not have to resort to this many schemes if that were true. (they needed first a drone army, then a clone army to defeat Jedi and the republic. If defeating Jedi order was the only thing they needed and defeating them would give them the whole galaxy in a golder plate, that would make it a weak movie as it is now. Jedi shouldn’t be the only thing that keeps the galaxy together.) Sure, Jedi protects the people of the republic, but that has a limit. (They can’t be everywhere at once and conflict would still arise every now and then, if it is not entire armies, then it would be the mercenary groups, intergalactic terrorists, planetary conflicts and so on. Not to mention people who favored a galactic empire were always there, there is no shortage of people who can cause troubles in Star Wars universe, so republic being so weak doesn’t even make sense.) Prequels relied too much on silly robots and clones. You see, one of the things that made the original trilogy great was its wide range of great characters and storm troopers and robots didn’t get that much screen time, they were part of the much larger story rather than taking up a lot of space. You saw people of the empire fighting for their evil beliefs. (and they weren’t clones) You saw people of the fallen republic fighting for their freedom. It should have focused on people of the republic and what it was like. It should be more like KOTOR games. (A lot more lore and a lot less Jar Jar and kids that say Yuppiee every other sentence) Instead we got a few Jedi’s fighting a robot army with someone seems to be pulling the strings but no one really cares and a shit ton of robots and clones. Just stupid that story pushed aside to make room for silly subplots.

And I am glad you agree. Little Anakin needs to stay back at the temple. He has no place in most of the movie.

Author
Time

Or if you’re going to take Anakin to Naboo, have him join the space battle on purpose. Have him fly to try and help the pilots take out the ship above.

But yes, a radical change would be to just leave him at the temple to be trained or in the custody of the Jedi council because he’s supposedly this chosen one.

Taking the chosen one into the path of the Sith doesn’t sound like such a brilliant idea.

Author
Time

shanep2 said:

Or if you’re going to take Anakin to Naboo, have him join the space battle on purpose. Have him fly to try and help the pilots take out the ship above.

That would make it even worse. One of the things I hate most about Phantom Menace is how Anakin as a child was portrayed. Most of what he does is impossible, even for a Master Jedi. Hell, even for the adult Anakin or as Darth Vader. I understand he is supposed to be a talented kid, he is strong with the force and all that, but still most of it doesn’t even make any damn sense. Kid has never even been on the seat of a starfighter before, but when he goes to hide in one, he presses random buttons like an idiot, activates the auto pilot by accident, then somehow disables it and goes on to destroy a battleship… Without any experience whatsoever, a little kid figures out how to pilot an advanced starfighter in like few minutes. How does this even make sense? He can have inhuman reflexes due to force, but being strong with the force wouldn’t give him all of the other ridiculous talents. He is a little kid for Gods sake. (a little kid who has zero formal training.) Not to mention wasn’t there people on that ship? As a child they subject him to further death and destruction, what is Jedi trying to do? Push him to become a sith? They might as well give the little brat black robes, a red lightsaber and Vaders mask already.

shanep2 said:

But yes, a radical change would be to just leave him at the temple to be trained or in the custody of the Jedi council because he’s supposedly this chosen one.

Taking the chosen one into the path of the Sith doesn’t sound like such a brilliant idea.

Thats what I am saying, whole movie makes little sense with Anakin and Jar Jar Binks running the show. Sure Jedi consul refused to train him, but they would at least take him into their custody/under their protection. (What is the alternative? They would send Anakin back into slavery? Is that something Jedi would do? Not to mention that if Anakin is strong with the force as they say he is, wouldn’t they want to keep an eye on him?)

Author
Time

Someone once did a clip where Mace Windu was the pilot who destroyed the droid control ship in TPM and the clip worked brilliantly and solved the issue of Anakin being in the battle at all. This would be my preferred idea too as it uses footage of Samuel Jackson from a documentary so would also help to mix things up and have a theme which was never touched upon in the original movie.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It would be cool if the Naboo pilots held out for a long time slowly being worn down by the sheer number of the droids and then just as it looks like they are all going to die, the Jedi turn up in fighters and the droid control ship is destroyed by Obi-Wan from inside after killing Maul on the ship instead of on the planet.
The Jedi come across as heroes for once at least.
It would explain why the whole council are on the planet at the end of the movie.

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

It would be cool if the Naboo pilots held out for a long time slowly being worn down by the sheer number of the droids and then just as it looks like they are all going to die, the Jedi turn up in fighters and the droid control ship is destroyed by Obi-Wan from inside after killing Maul on the ship instead of on the planet.
It would explain why the whole council are on the planet at the end of the movie.

That would be hard to pull off, but it could be worth it if they can pull it off.

I have an idea for Darth Sideous thing as well. Like some already suggested, his identity should not have been revealed so early. What if trade federation were getting their orders not from him, but instead from Darth Maul? (like a chain of command, master gives orders to his apprentice and apprentice gives orders to others. Because why would master bother with this sort of thing personally? He is trying to keep his identity secret after all.) Since Darth Maul looks quite intimidating, it would make sense they are afraid of him and when Yoda says “there is always two, a master and an apprentice” there is even more impact and suspense, because other one is not revealed yet. It would work better I think. Also, this way episode 1 could be dedicated to Darth Maul, Episode 2 to Darth Count and so on. (Also, it would make you wonder, who is mysterious character? Is he scheming something big? Than BAM! In episode 3, you get to meet the Emperor, but with more impact.)

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

This is do-able, but only if one manages to pull off the jedis on the control ship and the rest on the planet. I’ve personally played around with this and found it extremely difficult if not impossible to pull off, but I’m still trying things. What makes it so difficult is that, while you could cut the jedi out of shots certain shots and replace the background, it’s a much harder thing to remove them from the many many shots where they appear alongside the naboo-ians as they storm Theed palace. The most challenging shots being where darth maul is revealed: it involves removing the jedi and changing the background to resemble the ship, removing maul and changing the background, and possibly also trying to fill in the empty space left from where the jedi were if you want to salvage that shot for use with Amidala and the naboo-ians.

(p.s. What the hell are we supposed to call people from Naboo? Qui-Gon refers to them as ‘The Naboo’ but idfk if that’s accurate or not)

Author
Time

Darth Lucas said:

Bingowings said:

This is do-able, but only if one manages to pull off the jedis on the control ship and the rest on the planet. I’ve personally played around with this and found it extremely difficult if not impossible to pull off, but I’m still trying things. What makes it so difficult is that, while you could cut the jedi out of certain shots and replace the background, it’s a much harder thing to remove them from the many many shots where they appear alongside the naboo-ians as they storm Theed palace. The most challenging shots being where darth maul is revealed: it involves removing the jedi and changing the background to resemble the ship, removing maul and changing the background, and possibly also trying to fill in the empty space left from where the jedi were if you want to salvage that shot for use with Amidala and the naboo-ians.

(p.s. What the hell are we supposed to call people from Naboo? Qui-Gon refers to them as ‘The Naboo’ but idfk if that’s accurate or not)

Author
Time

Darth Lucas said:

Bingowings said:

This is do-able, but only if one manages to pull off the jedis on the control ship and the rest on the planet. I’ve personally played around with this and found it extremely difficult if not impossible to pull off, but I’m still trying things. What makes it so difficult is that, while you could cut the jedi out of shots certain shots and replace the background, it’s a much harder thing to remove them from the many many shots where they appear alongside the naboo-ians as they storm Theed palace. The most challenging shots being where darth maul is revealed: it involves removing the jedi and changing the background to resemble the ship, removing maul and changing the background, and possibly also trying to fill in the empty space left from where the jedi were if you want to salvage that shot for use with Amidala and the naboo-ians.

Well, as far as I know, those weird duck things are called Gungan’s, they are the native species of the planet. I think that implies humans have colonized the planet or whatever. Since they are not natives of the planet, they are not really called anything. (in the movie anyway) Perhaps Nabooians fits best? Or maybe Naboolings? 😄