logo Sign In

The Official Dark/Sega Special Collection OT LD Release Thread (Not an SE Transfer) (Released)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Dark/Sega Special Collection Transfer Project

Well DarkJedi and I are going to be working on a project to together, to transfer yet another Star Wars LD Set to DVD. Only this time it is a set, that to my knowledge, has not been transfered as of yet.

The Japanese Star Wars Special Collection 9 CAV discs set. If you dont know what the set is it is considered by some the first version of the definitive collection. It is the first letterbox ld (for star wars) and also has English CX-encoded Digital Stereo Surround Sound. The transfer features a picture area which is shifted closer to the top of the screen (the top black bar was smaller than the bottom - roughly 30/70). This allows more room for the Japanese subtitles which are confined within lower black bar margin. The film itself is spread over five sides and the package also contains a four-page insert.

Now this project is ment to preserve this set, so there will be no fudging around with the color. DarkJedi will be doing the transfer, which he is great at, and I will be doing the artwork, which is ment to look like the artwork from the LDs. There will be artwork included for Standard Case Inserts, Slimline Cases, Hub Printable Disc, Non-Hub Printable Disc, and also Chapter Stop Insert for the original LDs, my not line up with the chapters in the dvds. Also for ESB and ROTJ I plan on making the 4-page inserts into PDF Files and putting them in the DVD_Rom folder. <span class=“Italics”>I do not have the Star Wars insert so if anyone could take some scan of theirs or send it to me so I could scan it that would be great</span>, of course I would send it back.

ANH Preview: http://www.freewebs.com/segaflip/Dark-Sega Ep4 (Preview).jpg
ESB Preview: http://www.freewebs.com/segaflip/Dark-Sega Ep5 (Preview).jpg
ROTJ Preview: http://www.freewebs.com/segaflip/Dark-Sega Ep6 (Preview).jpg
ANH Disc Preview: http://www.freewebs.com/segaflip/Dark-Sega Ep4 (Disc Preview).jpg

Open for comments:

Author
Time
Another fantastic looking project........

I will add further details here as I get them.

4 - 5 - 3 - 1 - 6 - 2

Discuss…

Author
Time
Thanks russs15 for the page.

Sounds cool, is there anything differnt from this version to any of the others?
Did you read the part about the subtitles? Also this does not have the remastered sound that most def col transfer have.

On a side note, I would expect this to start getting around in the next few weeks, as long as the transfer goes smoothly.
Author
Time
You know I was just thinking about doing that the other day. Just dont know or have access to all of the mixes.
Author
Time
cant wait to get started sega,looks cool
thanks for letting me help
DJ
Author
Time
The LDs will be in the mail tomorrow heading to DarkJedi.
Author
Time
Need everyones help!
The laserdiscs come with 4-6 page insert for each episode. My set does not have the insert for ANH, now in the ESB and ROTJ I will inlcude a PDF file that contains these inserts. So what I am hoping is that someone out there with this set can a) take scans of the ANH insert at 300dpi, or b) send me the insert so that I can scan them, and of course I would send the insert back. Please someone help! PM or email me if you can help. Thanks!
Author
Time
I think I have it, I'll check and scan it when I get a chance.
Author
Time
OK sega i will let you know the second they get here,looks like i will have something to do this weekend,in between breaks from swimming in my pool,and playing with my 4 year old.
DJ
Author
Time
4 year old, they can really run you down!
Author
Time
yes he can,but he is ALOT of fun,just taught him how to swim,and it was a blast.
DJ
Author
Time
I bet it was, little kids are alot of fun, at least when they are not a pain in the ass Have a 7yr old myself.
Author
Time
I am very intrigued by this version/project. I had been curious if it had ever been tranferred, but I guess it has not until now. It apparently has the last pre-Definitive Collection '85 audio mix that was used up until the DC release. I can't wait to see it all gone over with a fine-tooth comb (I'm a sucker for details). And adding this audio mix to and including it on a version with various different mixes would be sweet.

Release Date: 1987

Studio: CBS/FOX & Pioneer Japan

Technical Comments: 2.35:1 letterboxed transfer (a first) with English CX-encoded Digital Stereo Surround Sound

Comments: Three Standard-Play CAV discs (Cat# SF148-1196)

Other Comments: This "Special Collection" letterboxed transfer, the first ever for "Star Wars," was commissioned from the domestic arm of 20th Century Fox by Fox Japan. The transfer features a picture area which is shifted closer to the top of the screen (the top black band was smaller than the bottom - roughly 30/70). This allows more room for the Japanese subtitles which are confined within lower black bar margin. The film itself is spread over five sides and the package also contains a four-page insert

http://www.davisdvd.com/misc/ep4.htm (ANH summary)
We don't have enough road to get up to 88.
Author
Time
Thanks you booah, Russs15, and Darth Mallwalker for the added information. Also it is great to see that people are taking interest in this project, I was hoping that I did not spend money on this just for myself.

Russs15, I am wondering why are you here, no really could you host some other pics for me of this set? Mainly the Cover previews and also the disc previews if you can, I will email you about this aswell.
Author
Time
Picture Time
Ep4 Cover

Ep4 Disc

Ep5 Cover

Ep5 Disc

Ep6 Cover

Ep6 Disc

Dont worry there will be HiRes image files included in a DVD_Rom folder when released!
Author
Time
Dark Jedi and Segaflip, you guys rock! I have always wondered if this set had been transfered, and I am glad that it is going to be. I would love to see the result.
Rock. Nirvana. Awsomeness.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1446/jackson3dg.jpg

Author
Time
yeah me too, i cant wait to see it also.
DJ
Author
Time
OK the package is here segaflip,and DAMN could you have found a bigger box LOL.
i have to work saturday now,but i will try to start saturday night,(might have to sunday,sat night is the Richmond race and i want JEFF GORDON in the darn chase for the CUP)
DJ
Author
Time
lol, oh yeah I ment to warn you about my 'great' packing job. Did you like my big jugs? Hey but I managed to fix a box with in a box for return shipping, yeah I know I am that good. Well good luck, it is all in your hands now.
Author
Time
damn i forgot about that,yes sega you have a nice set of jugs.
DJ