logo Sign In

The Knick Knack Boobs Restoration — Page 3

Author
Time

Spaced Ranger said:

"This means that you'll no longer be able to watch 1080p videos in YouTube's HTML5 player if you use Firefox or Safari."

Nothing like taking a couple steps backwards...thanks a lot, Google >:(

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If you notice, all of that is from 2013. Firefox now has support for Media Source Extensions and it's enabled by default in the Windows and Mac versions. (It's not enabled by default on Linux as there are still bugs to work out).

Upgrade to the latest Firefox (or Safari) and it will work fine. You don't need any extensions.

You can see if your browser supports Media Source Extensions here: https://www.youtube.com/html5. The current version of Firefox should have all the boxes checked except "MSE & WebM VP." Don't run outdated browsers.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture DE - The Anti-DNR Fanedit
Duel (1971) - The Hybrid Cut
The Phantom of the Opera - 1925 Version Reconstruction - Rare Scores Collection - Roy Budd Score

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Actually, there are a few reasons for using that plug-in.

One reason is with up-to-date browsers, YouTube decides what files you can get ... for your best experience, of course.  :\  If you're on a slow line, you can't force a higher quality video (with all that stutter?  tsk, tsk). It's just not on the list from which you would pick!
That's one giant leap (backward)  for user freedom, more small steps (forward) for comrade YouTube.
:O

Another reason is that CYS (Complete Youtube Saver) lists all YouTube video formats. Here's the overview list (there is also a details list, with codec types, file-sizes, the works, which you select what to show) ..

And, as you can see towards the bottom of that list, there is built-in audio conversion and saving in a variety of formats (all using FFmpeg). What could be easier and still thumb your nose at Google/YouTube statist ambitions?

And if you act within the next 10 minutes, we'll throw in a 2nd one ... absolutely free! Just pay shipping and handling!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Complete Youtube Saver. An interesting little plugin that has no source code released. Bleh.

You could get almost the same results with Greasemonkey and the Savetube script. It doesn't provide ffmpeg conversion, but perhaps thats a good thing, as you know that you are downloading the original file.

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

I use youtube-dl

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

@ Danfun128

Lack of source is not unusual for plug-ins. If it works, it works. BTW, note that CYS doesn't convert everything ... only what you want. In this case, if you select, it will convert a YouTube music video to a MP3 (or better) for your player without  intermediate steps & extraneous files after download. Otherwise, your get just what YouTube has -- of course, the separate audio and video DASH files are stitched (no re-encoding) back together into a single file.

@ Molly

Interesting about youtube-dl. I've used some online services -- savefrom.net is one, but they don't do stitching w/o their app. (As a general rule, to limit 3rd party access to system & information, I don't use apps.) I'd prefer browser integration. CYS fills that bill very nicely, but only on newer OS's (FFmpeg's oldest compatibility seems to be Win-XP).

Author
Time

I use pasty.link, works with many sites.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I originally thought Knick Knack was a fullscreen production (thanks, VHS) and the later update was a rework in widescreen.  [Wrong about that bit of info]  Simply repairing the boobs damage (from the best quality source, laserdisc) on the later widescreen version made it a boobs restoration (hence this project's title).

I also thought the next immediate project would be a preservation of that best quality fullscreen laserdisc.  [Again, wrong about that info]

A later project might be an update-remake -- basically the preservation in widescreen.  [Wrong info again]  That would be tougher to do because the update required reprocessing the entire film (because of the new, boob-less animation models) on different equipment with different software (which took Pixar months to sort out). Side effect? It altered (however small) things like camera and character placement. Also I noticed the leaves/hair of Sunny Jamaica look as if they were rotated to clump differently (see pictures below). That would be a much bigger project.

And the last, topper, project? Why ... a 3D (or more accurately stereographics) reconstruction ... of course. With every object already independently layered for the previous project, this is would an easy final step. Except for snow flakes in the snow dome.

So, scratch the old, wrong info and let's add one more thing to this project. Color correction. The laserdisc source has boobs and original color (and should match the freeze-frame snapshots from Toy Story 2). The updated, superior resolution HD source for Knick Knack then must be color-corrected to match, before the boobs restoration onto it.

In lieu of a laserdisc snapshot , the picture below is trimmed out from the Toy Story 2 in-story TV screen ..

It is geometrically distorted (like an old glass-tube TV set), contrast reduced, and color de-saturated  (from the rest of the shot). To clarify it back into a real picture, it's luminance is spread back out (Low, & High) across the spectrum, strengthen by lightness (Gamma) and contrast (Midtones). I normally use RGB adjustments, but haven't figured out saturation yet. So, another tool was used to increase the color strength (Saturation). All values changed from their defaults are high-lighted as shown ..

Wow (on the left), that looks nice! It makes the update picture beside it (resized & TV-cropped to match, from the Finding Nemo extras) look dark, dingy, and just plain wrong. Note it's commentary subtitles, and no boobs ..

As you can see in the R-G-B adjustments, the
                                                                                              compressed highs were pulled back up
                                                                                              (High), the contrasts increased (Midtones),
                                                                                              and the lightnesses increased (Gamma).
                                                                                              In that process, the over-riding green tint
                                                                                              was less increased to let the normal color
                                                                                              come out. The red graph-overlays show
                                                                                              resulting spectrums ..

And the resulting color-corrected picture? Astounding! Well, almost astounding. Just two things missing ... and we'll take care of that, too. 

I hope you liked this demonstration. And in keeping with this project's subject matter, I presented it as ... well ... boobs.

Now this Knick Knack is original widescreen, original color, and original boobs ready!

Author
Time

Great boobs... ehr, I mean job, Spaced Ranger! (^^,)

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com

Author
Time

Thanks, _,,,^..^,,,_ ... and everyone -- for all the fun comments & assistance!

It's great doing the detective work and putting what I find all in one place for everyone to easily access. Of course, as I come across more, it will be added. If anyone finds new information to support or correct anything here, please post ... with links and lots of pictures!  :)

Oh, and not to let our mermaid Sunny Atlantis feel left out ... we see you waving!

Don't worry, we've got you covered ... or uncovered ... or, well, you know. 

Author
Time

If you need assistance about resizing, let me know... I love to resize anytits... oops, I mean anything! (^^,)

Sadly my projects are lost due to an HDD crash… 😦 | [Fundamental Collection] thread | blog.spoRv.com | fan preservation forum: fanres.com

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The real question is ... WHY?

Why would John Lasseter go back and ruin his own work Knick Knack? Why, John, why? Do you think you're some kind of ... George Lucas? Hey, wait a minute ..

.. birds of a feather.  

Author
Time
 (Edited)

And just when you think there is nothing more to glean from YouTube, you change the scope of your search ... and ...

YouTube comes through with that 1st commentary track for Knick Knack (see Page 1). Previously, this was overlooked due to more narrow search terms. The new search brought up a YouTube with all the disc's commentaries. So Knick Knack's commentary was "hidden" within. They discuss the original 3D (stereographic) development and release. It starts @ 12min 50sec (automatically, as per link parameter) and ends @ 16min 19sec, here ..

YouTube:

Pixar Short Films Collection Vol. 1- Audio Commentaries [AUDIO]
                  [Knick Knack @ 12m50s to 16m19s]

(I'll update Page 1, too.)

Author
Time

I remember the first time I saw this on TV, more than 20 years ago, and it was sculpted in my memory, along with another fun animated short about a strange cook who cut his finger by accident, and finish to cut himself in pieces... if only I could remember its title, though... (- -_)

Author
Time

Are you talking about this short?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZealBCnvws

Author
Time

That's exactly it!!! Thanks a lot, IcePrick!

Author
Time

That has to be a typo.  No way this isn't worth $2600.

Author
Time

...why did you get rid of your old avatar Frink? Do you want the LOL Bunny to become a soup nazi?

Nobody sang The Bunny Song in years…

Author
Time

A forum member is already bidding on it.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

Danfun128 said:

Does team negative one have a pervert department?

No, Team Pervert has a negative one department.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

I could get angry at the sheer perversity in this thread but then I remember this forum has a 36-page, nine-year-long topic devoted to restoring Song of the South and this doesn't seem so bad.

Author
Time

Someone was bashing that thread on Twitter recently, and used nearly the exact same description. How coincidental!

In any case, you're taking this thread far too seriously.

Forum Moderator

Where were you in '77?