logo Sign In

The Hobbit Rankin/Bass Animated Film..... (Released) — Page 2

Author
Time

So I assume the bottom pic is what you want? but to me the top pic looks way better, I would like to have the original audio but the new and improved video.

Author
Time

I want a desaturation of the colors...not necessarily everywhere, but theres a few places where they really went nuts and it bugs the heck out of me. This really was a film drawn in tones of brown, and grey....even when there were colors they were muted with browns and greys....much of it felt like a lightly colored sepia photo......making it feel much older.

The new image quality far surpasses the old, as they've made it crisp and brought out many little details.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be exactly as desaturated as the bottom pic, but definitely closer to the bottom one than the top one.

And yes, the sound needs to be brought over from the old version because they messed it up big time.....they took away alot of the familiar old sounds, and either replaced them with really lame sounding stuff, or just didnt replace it at all

Author
Time

So what has the original audio? the DVD version and Blu-ray do not right? is it just on the VHS and laserdisc if there was one?

Would you share the original audio?

Author
Time

I would very gladly share the audio if someone wanted to attempt a re-edit of this.....I had a good quality VHS transfered onto a DVD. But its in DVD format....dunno if you can work with that. The picture is a total write off, but it can be used to get an idea of what the colors were supposed to look like......the audio on it is in great shape

Author
Time

I have no clue how to rip the audio....I could copy the dvd and send it to you

You interested in trying out this edit?

Author
Time

I thought you were doing the video? I actually like the new video myself, the old video looks, well old, but would love to have the original audio, plus I am not sure what approach to take on the new video to make it look like that bottom pic, you have any ideas?

OH and you could rip the audio with DVDDecrypter, it is free and it is a pretty easy process.

Author
Time

Its a simple color correction......I work in film, but I'm not an editor in any way, have no knowledge of that aspect of the film-making process....which is why I'm looking for someone who's also a fan of this film and who could tackle a project like this

Author
Time

So out of curiosity, someone would have to do the edit to get the audio?

Author
Time

no, not at all.....if you're willing to pay me for a blank DVD and the cost of shipping I'll make you a copy and ship it to you

Author
Time

So no chance of just ripping the audio with DVDDecrypter? the file itself will not be that big, maybe 150-200 MB is all, it is only DD 2.0 right?

Author
Time

sorry, not lookin to download any programs or send any large files....I have limited bandwidth

Author
Time

muddyknees2000 said:

sorry, not lookin to download any programs or send any large files....I have limited bandwidth

OK, well Thanks then.

Author
Time

muddyknees2000 said:

The name....MST3K refference?

Combination of TV's Frank and Professor Frink.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

muddyknees2000 said:

I was very dissapointed with the DVD that was released for this film as they have gone and mucked about with much of the color, and the sound. Many sound effects were changed or simply left out. I had a good condition vhs copy transferred onto DVD....but its quality is much lower than the remastered version picture-wise. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would be willing to do an Adywan style re-edit of this particular film, or if its already been done. I am currectly working on DVD artwork that is much darker than the overly cheery garbage  they made for the official DVD and will gladly supply it to anyone who might like to undertake a re-edit of this film...

I think what you are looking for is called the Hi Fi hobbit.  It is up on youtube and has been floating around online for about a year on the torrent sites but apparently is hard to get a hold of the DVD.

Here is the first part on youtube anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcllH6Kslw8

Okay so its the DVD video with the colors changed, but at least this person ripped the vhs audio and spliced it with the DVD audio.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The best source for the tv broadcast has to be a 16mm print if you can find one and afford it, and have the screening equipment.  Otherwise the VHS is the only version with the real color timing intact.  The DVD color saturation matched the cels but the colors don't i once had a book with the artwork from this film.

From what i have gathered the DVD was from the negative and so the original color timing was lost, also the sound track was taken from an earlier more pristine mix which was not the final and was missing things.

Reminds me of Rhino's original transformers release.

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time

skyjedi2005 said:

The best source for the tv broadcast has to be a 16mm print if you can find one and afford it, and have the screening equipment.  Otherwise the VHS is the only version with the real color timing intact.  The DVD color saturation matched the cels but the colors don't i once had a book with the artwork from this film.

From what i have gathered the DVD was from the negative and so the original color timing was lost, also the sound track was taken from an earlier more pristine mix which was not the final and was missing things.

Reminds me of Rhino's original transformers release.

Ok, so basically I need to find a copty of the HIFI Hobbit and get someone to color correct that.....thanks very much mate.....I only just heard about this thing today and then you come along and point me to it.......cheers

Author
Time

skyjedi2005 said:

i once had a book with the artwork from this film.

Know what it was called?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It was the Harry N Abrams publisher's edition of the tolkien book with stills and concept art.

I also remember my recollection of the art on the record of the films dialogue and sound effects, there were 2 versions a complete version and a edited version of this LP.

The concept art looks a little different from the finished film, rather like colored storyboards.  They were produced in the USA, but the animated program was produced by the Japanese studio Topcraft, who also animated Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, and thundercats amongst other things including return of the king, rotk also had french animators as well.  Produced by 3 countries,lol.

Don't feel bad that they cannot get a perfect edition of the hobbit on home video though, look at what the fans of Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings have had to suffer through.  The only open matte version of that film is on a rare japanese laserdisc with burned in subtitles.  The Vhs, the DVD and Blu ray and all do not give an adequate version of the film as seen and heard in theaters.

At least the Hobbit and Return of the King were available on CED.  Though the video was about the same quality as the vhs, if not worse.

Actually these screen captures make it apparent the color definition of the CED is somewhat better than the vhs and gives an idea of the original colors.  The funny thing is the quality of the return of the king ced is atrocious going by the pictures.

http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/tolkien/hobbit.html

Also here is an article with info on the original color that they wanted while making it.  Described as monochrome like.

http://www.nytimes.com/1977/11/27/books/tolkien-hobbitani.html

If that is the case then the bright disney like color job on the DVD is wrong.

Author
Time

Thanks Sky for the heads up on the Hi-Fi Hobbit, I am grabbing it now, should have it in a couple hours, I can just get the audio off that.

Thanks again for your help

Author
Time

skyjedi2005 said:

Also here is an article with info on the original color that they wanted while making it.  Described as monochrome like.

http://www.nytimes.com/1977/11/27/books/tolkien-hobbitani.html

If that is the case then the bright disney like color job on the DVD is wrong.

Re-read the paragraph, that's not what it says:

"I like monochromatic works," said Rankin, "and I saw the whole picture in a series of monochromatic designs. There are about a dozen major sequences and each has its key color. The Hobbit Hole is springtime greens; the Gollum's cave, purples; the goblins' place, red; Smaug's cave, golden...

I listened quickly to the "Hi Fi Hobbit", it's not very hi fi ;)

Poor vhs quality lacking in dynamic range and rather muddy sounding.

The Monkey King - Uproar In heaven (1965) Restoration/Preservation Project

Nezha Conquers the Dragon King (1979) BBC 1.66:1 & Theatrical 2.35:1 preservations

Author
Time

Well if that is all the audio you have access to it will have to work right? muddy or not, would you by any chance have something better?

Author
Time

No I don't have the vhs. It's very possible that muddyknees' audio is better though, or maybe it's possible to combine vhs+dvd audio, though it might be a lot of work.

-

Looking quickly at the CED (and VHS?) screenshots, I will go out on a limb and say the colortiming on the DVD is the more accurate one.. The CED ones look like they have a yellow shift. The bigger difference is the brightness, the old version is several notches brighter, this makes it look less saturated also maybe.

The Monkey King - Uproar In heaven (1965) Restoration/Preservation Project

Nezha Conquers the Dragon King (1979) BBC 1.66:1 & Theatrical 2.35:1 preservations