logo Sign In

Post #416150

Author
adywan
Parent topic
The Empire Strikes Back "1980 Theatrical version" Reconstruction - Adywan (Released)
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/416150/action/topic#416150
Date created
24-May-2010, 10:27 AM

Lord__Vader said:

BTW. while making that video I noticed the whole wampa scene is a lot bluer in the reconstruction than the AVCHD. Why's that Ady?

well there is the shot of Luke when he flops down after trying to free his feet which was split into 2 sections for the SE and the problem was that there were about 5 missing frames. I had reconstructed whole this with the missing frames in that shot for ESB:R (and i didn't use the GOUT for the missing frames) so i just downscaled that from 720p to 480p and used the version from revisited, which has more of the blue still intact because i'd stripped a little too much out of the cave scene in the AVCHD. I see you have stripped all of the blue out of that shot in your video.

Now the video on youtube really can't be used to show that you can't really see much of a difference between the low & hi-res sources because of its crappy low bitrates. the artefacts due to youtubes very low bitrate compression masks a lot of the detail in a HD video so the transition wouldn't be as noticeable.  The scene you want to try is the Lando announcement one, but not just place the shots that were blended together in but actually start by using a HD source for the transition. Then you really do notice a huge jump in quality. Plus you will see the problems i went through with trying to match the HD to the GOUT so i could blend in certain element because there is so much frame distortion between the two its just not a simple thing like join the two together.

And both the AVCHD & this theatrical version were never pretending to be 100% accurate versions which is why i left the "Han's shirt" shot alone. I might change this if i do decide to do a DL version, but i'm a bit bogged down with Revisited and other things at the moment to do a DL version just yet.