logo Sign In

The Crow Edit (* unfinished project *)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is just an idea I’m kicking around for my next edit.

First off, I love the original movie. In my opinion, there’s very, very little wrong with it as a film. I’m also a really big fan of the original comic book. What I’d like to do with this edit is make it a bit more like the experience of reading the comic. I haven’t totally thought it out, but I think this might be a fun thing to try.

Some of my ideas:

• I’d like to make the whole film black and white, maybe even with a sort of sketch effect added to it to make it feel more comic book-esque. The flashbacks I think I’ll leave bright and technicolor-y to contrast the present black and white.
  • Begin the film at a different point. Start with the knife fight with Tin-Tin. In the comic book, Eric attacks someone off the bat and the reader is left curious as to what his story is. The structure would become a little more complex, revealing elements of Eric’s backstory as the film goes on.
  • Eric does not have to figure out why he is there. He knows his purpose when he is resurrected.
  • The little girl is nothing more than a little side character. She didn’t know Eric and Shelly before they died.
  • Any of the Skull Cowboy scenes that I can find I will put into the film. I know they exist somewhere.
  • Perhaps add some of the quotes and song lyrics that are included in the comic as like static screens.
  • As much as I like the soundtrack, I’d like to replace some of the rock songs with scoring. I realized upon a recent viewing just how good the score for this film is.

This could end up being a cool mix of the film and the comic, an interesting way of looking at the movie. I’d love to take some ideas. this project probably won’t get started for a week or two, but I think I’ll do it next.

I'm always looking to trade my edits, if you don't want to get them from a torrent. PM or e-mail!
Author
Time

the skull cowboy sequence was released but on the PC CD-ROM making of. if you can track that down, you'll have your cowboy sequence!

Join the dark side… and get a free cookie!

Author
Time
Little of the Skull Cowboy footage was finished or released.
What I've seen is low quality (quicktime), very raw, and lacking special effects.

I tried to find decent footage of it myself for an edit a year or so ago. I was looking to make an expanded cut.

bigrob: What PC CD-Rom are you referring to?

Scenes featuring Michael Berryman the "Skull Cowboy" were cut. When Eric is dead, he is visited by the skeletal character. In early scenes, he merely tells Eric to "Follow the crow", but later he explains why Draven is "alive", namely, to kill the bad guys and reunite with Shelly. A problem: "You work for the living and you bleed." After Sarah is kidnapped, the Skull Cowboy appears to Eric for the final time and tells him that it is time to return to the land of the dead and give up the concerns of the living, Eric refuses, and Skull Cowboy tells him. "Then choose and be damned!!!" This is why Eric gets hurt at the end, not because of the crow being shot. (This one was previously located under scenes cut unrelated to Lee's death, but Jim Timko informed that they were in fact cut precisely because of it. Apparently, O'Barr felt it would be in poor taste to leave them.)

The Collector's edition DVD does contain several extended scenes that could be added back.

More change details here: http://ishmaal.spitfire.com.au/html/edited.htm

I just remember how well the Skull Cowboy worked in the TV series and wished they'd put it back in the film. Maybe some anniversary edition.

Edit: YouTube clip of Skull Cowboy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciDeoMDAPMA

Dr. M

Author
Time
Does anyone have that CD-Rom that can help me get a copy?
I'm always looking to trade my edits, if you don't want to get them from a torrent. PM or e-mail!
Author
Time
Well there is also the workprint which has lots of more stuff to use;

http://www.crowwings.com/neverseen/start.html

Also there is that fan made Crow movie that was pretty good.
Author
Time
THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE AS I HAVE A PERSONAL STAKE IN THIS PROJECT. I KNEW JAMES O'BARR PERSONALLY. WE BECAME FRIENDS RIGHT BEFORE THE SECOND MOVIE STARTED FILMING. I WAS AN INDEPENDENT COMIC BOOK WRITER AND ARTIST AT THE TIME. WE REALLY DIDN'T TALK ABOUT BRANDON TOO MUCH AS HE AND JIM HAD BECOME VERY CLOSE FRIENDS BEFORE BRANDON'S UNTIMELY DEATH. WHEN WE DID TALK ABOUT THE CROW HE TOLD ME HOW THE MOVIE ALMOST DIDN'T GET FINISHED OR RELEASED BECAUSE OF BRANDON'S DEATH. THE DIRECTOR AND PRODUCERS COMPLETELY CHOPPED UP THE FOOTAGE TO MAKE A NEW "COMPLETE" VERSION OF THE FILM. THE CAST DIDN'T WANT TO RETURN TO THE SET WHICH DELAYED THE MOVIE BY A YEAR, BUT THEY WERE FINALLY CONVINCED TO COME BACK. THE NARRATION WAS ADDED TO THE FILM TO FILL IN GAPS WHICH IS WHY THE SKULL COWBOY WAS COMPLETELY CUT OUT OF THE MOVIE.

HERE'S TO OLD FRIENDS...

"I'VE GROWN TIRED OF ASKING, SO THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME..."
The Mangler Bros. Psycho Dayv Armchaireviews Notes on Suicide

Author
Time
Hmm, so a "fixed" or originally-intended-edit sound great, but obviously not what Spence is looking to do.

Also, it seems NOBODY has their hands on the full Skull Cowboy footage of any sort of quality. For some reason it's never been released or leaked.

Audio and SFX would need to be added to those scenes.
It's a rather daunting project assuming you could even get the footage you needed to start with.
I suppose the workprint could be used as a guide for the restoration.
This is starting to sound much more up OCPMovie's alley.

Dr. M

Author
Time
well if i can get the footage to sort of match up to the rest of the movie, maybe i can get some of my actor friends to add some new voice over to it.
Author
Time
I know it's great how it is, i just thought this might be a cool way of looking at the film, kind of a fun alternate version.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Doctor M
I suppose the workprint could be used as a guide for the restoration.

That's not really necessary. Yeah, the workprint is about 20mins longer, but it's not a director's cut of any sort, it's just a rough cut. A lot of the scenes in it are alternate takes and most of the deleted stuff are very minor shots, lines of dialogue and just tighter edits of the same shots that appeared in the final cut. It's an interesting "work in progress" version, but the theatrical version should still be considered the definitive version of the film.

I used to be very active on this forum. I’m not really anymore. Sometimes, people still want to get in touch with me about something, and that is great! If that describes you, please email me at [my username]ATgmailDOTcom.

Hi everybody. You’re all awesome. Keep up the good work.

Author
Time
i like the idea of making it more comicbooky (sp?)

it's a good departure to make a fan edit of A MOVIE I'D ACTUALLY WATCH

j/k
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Spence101287
Does anyone have that CD-Rom that can help me get a copy?
Damnit. My wife has the CD-ROM but it is tucked away in storage about 2,000 miles away. Grrrr.

I think the idea of this edit is excellent. Doing something very creative with it. Of course the original is excellent as it is. I really like that you are planning something creative with it. Something more than adding deleted scenes to a movie or trimming the fat.

I hope to get to see the workprint sometime soon - I know Rikter has got hold of a copy of it recently. I'd also like to see that student fan-made film - does anybody here have it ?
where have i been all this time ?
Author
Time
I'd love that fan made film. Also, does anybody have anything from the TV show with Mark Dacascos? I believe it was called Stairway to Heaven. Nothing has ever been officially released on dvd, but that's never stopped us before!
Author
Time
Crow Stairway to Heaven was better than all of the Crow movie sequels put together.
And they had a Skull Cowboy that was great.

Can anyone tell me the source of the CD-Rom? How was it sold?
I'd also like detail on the "fan made" film.

Also, has anyone ever seen Wings of the Crow? I've heard it's absolutely terrible, but I've not been able to track it down.
It's a straight up remake, except the lead is now female: Rock singer Erika is murdered with her cop boyfriend on the eve of Halloween. Then exactly one year later she is resurrected by a mysterious crow to exact vengeance on her attackers.

It sounds so bad it's got to be worth watching.

Dr. M

Author
Time
ok, I really need stairway to heaven if it has the skull cowboy!
Author
Time
Some of the episodes are on Demonoid, but unfortunately not all of them.
Btw, the Skull Cowboy appears kind of late in the series, and is more hip than spooky.

Dr. M

Author
Time
Heh. Doctor M, I'm not a fan of The Crow.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Spence101287
I'd love that fan made film. Also, does anybody have anything from the TV show with Mark Dacascos? I believe it was called Stairway to Heaven. Nothing has ever been officially released on dvd, but that's never stopped us before!

I HAVE MOST ALL OF THE EPISODES ON VHS.

"I'VE GROWN TIRED OF ASKING, SO THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME..."
The Mangler Bros. Psycho Dayv Armchaireviews Notes on Suicide

Author
Time
Originally posted by: Doctor M
Some of the episodes are on Demonoid, but unfortunately not all of them.

Nope, all dead. They're external torrents, not tracked by Demonoid itself, so the stats are old. I updated the stats on a couple of them, and they were both totally dead.
Author
Time
Originally posted by: Doctor M Can anyone tell me the source of the CD-Rom? How was it sold? My wife believes she bought it from somewhere like Amazon - it was released for retail. It was released in 1996 which means it runs on Windows 95 !!! It was called the The Crow: The Complete Interactive Collection.

More details about it at this Brandon Lee website

It looks like you can buy it here

and maybe this one - it looks like it is actually the CD-ROM of the first movie - not City of Angels - probably a CD-R version.

Originally posted by: Doctor M I'd also like detail on the "fan made" film.
I remember seeing this a lot on ebay back in the day but after searching around now, I can't find anything about it. I know that it used scenes from the original movie and everything I heard about it was good but other than that, I can't elaborate.

Originally posted by: Spence101287 I believe it was called Stairway to Heaven. Nothing has ever been officially released on dvd, but that's never stopped us before!
Actually, that's not quite true. It was released in Europe and Australia, so obviously PAL.

Comparison between the two

ebay has the Australia volumes 1-6 for about $45 for the two plus shipping.
where have i been all this time ?
Author
Time
Can anybody who has the series let me know if the skull cowboy stuff is good enough to use in an edit?

This probably won't be my very next project, it'll take a lot of time and thought. It'll become like Matrix Squared, where I worked on it in between other things till i had it how i wanted. right not Boon and I are working up something cool, and I've got some Once Upon a Time in Mexico ideas.
Author
Time
I dont know if there is anything you can use, but the Stairway To Heaven pilot was just put up @ Ilovetorrents
Author
Time
A group called Flair released a workprint of the movie a while back. Your best bet is to track that down, and cut out the missing parts, and insert them in a dvd quality version

More info here: http://www.vcdquality.com/index.php?page=nfo&id=35843

Let me know if you do track it down, I've been wanting it