darth_ender
Parent topic
The Armchair Movie Critic thread
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/617294/action/topic#617294
Date created
31-Dec-2012, 6:11 PM

Star Wars

1. C-3PO knew about the princess, as he said there'd be no escape for her. Then he knows nothing more than that she might have been a passenger on his last voyage. He clearly wasn't intending to lie. So why the lapse?

2. It takes an incredible amount of energy to blow up a planet. It could be rendered uninhabitable by a powerful weapon, but to cause such a massive explosion that would hurl its own matter at such fast speeds would require the same amount of energy as our sun produces in 8,000 years! But this power was held inside of a space station the size of a small moon. Source: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Beam/Alderaan.html

3. What is up with stupid Rebel tactics in fighting the Death Star? For instance, when most of the TIE fighers had retreated and only Vader's squadron was fighting the Rebels, why didn't other Rebels provide backup and get behind Vader and his compadres?

4. Or why didn't they approach the trench closer to the reactor shaft so they didn't have to get stuck with pursuing fighters for so long and actually have room to maneuver?

5. Or even in the trench, why didn't they have multiple fighter groups in the trench simultaneously? Luke, Biggs, and Wedge could have followed Red Leader and his wingmen at a greater distance in case Vader tried to drop behind them. And if Vader tried to get behind Luke and his wingmen, they could peel out. If he pursued them, it would buy more time for Red Leader. If he stuck with Red Leader, once Vader got in front they need only drop in behind him.

6. If it wasn't foolish enough during all previous trench runs, when it was most critical Wedge simply fled when he could have saved Biggs and provided more help to Luke. What a coward!

7. If Ben Kenobi is such a powerful Force user, why did he not telekinetically flip the switch to shut down the tractor beam power instead of climbing out over a bottomless pit?

8. For that matter, since size matters not, why didn't Ben simply fling the Death Star away when it grabbed the Falcon in its tractor beam?

9. Anyone think to install security cameras on the Death Star? Could have helped them locate some escapees.

10. So shy does the Death Star simply pop like a firecracker? We know it houses a powerful reactor, plus it was comprised of its own dense materials. It appeared not to be suffering any kind of cataclysmic failure, and the lights didn't even flicker for Tarkin, but suddenly it simply *popped* into glowing little fragments. You'd think it would have more debris and would blow up more violently than even Alderaan.

11. Does Leia ever redo her hair and makeup while prisoner on the Death Star? She looks exactly the same as when she was first captured, despite numerous apparent torture sessions as well.

12. Why would the Death Star have such a poorly designed tractor beam station? I mean, we all hate those stupid Christmas light strings that go completely dead when a single bulb burns out. You mean to tell me they set up the entire station's tractor beams in the same manner?! You'd think they'd have redundant systems, not codependent.

13. I know everyone asks this question, but what kind of speciesists wouldn't give Chewie a medal?

14. Heck, despite Wedge's cowardice, why didn't he get a medal? He fought through most of the battle. Han only showed up at the last second with minimal threat to himself, shot one fighter (not even the obvious one that really would have made a difference), and he gota a medal.

15. Why was Threepio complaining that his joints almost frozen after walking a mere 100 yards in the sand? He walked much further after that apparently.

16. Wouldn't the Star Destroyer Devastator have at least captured in their tractor, if not flat out shot, any escape pods from the Tantive IV? There could be something valuable in there, like, I dunno, maybe Death Star plans. Hopefully that gunner got a Vader choke.

17. Why was Leia cool with leading the Empire back to the Rebel base, since she was so confident that the Falcon had a homing beacon? As pointed out by How it Should Have Ended, you'd think she'd be smart enough to trasmit the plans somewhere else. If the Rebellion was so farspread and well organized, you'd think they'd have spies at multiple drop points.

18. Does Luke really need to whine so much? "But I was going into Tosche Station to pick up some power converters. Waaaaa."

19. "STOP THAT SHIP! BLAST HIM!!!" There's no better way to grant your quarry time for an escape than by shouting your intentions so loud that he could hear instead of giving silent orders before he even knows you're coming.

20. Interesting how the ships seem to be subject to the physics of atmospheric flight even though they're in space. For instance, there appears to be a limit to their speed. They turn like they have flaps guiding their motion. They change direction in spite of only having rear-facing engines. What happened to interia?

21. How do eight separate energy beams pause in the middle of space so all the others can catch up, coalesce, and change direction so they all shoot straight instead of at their initial angles? You and your friends try and replicate that with eight laser pointers.

22. How does a man like Vader every use the potty?

23. Ever since I was a child (until they obviously changed it for the SEs), why was everything red during that dianoga eye shot?

24. I love how they take an untested pilot (Luke) and put him in one of their best fighters. I mean, surely they could have either found another pilot. Either through some amazing coincidence

25. (I'll have to edit this later at a different computer where I can include pictures, as I can't access the advanced editor features on this one; I'd like to include pics). Who is that guy who says, "That's impossible, even for a computer," in Wedge's voice? He sure doesn't look like Wedge. And why don't we ever see him again? Or for that matter, why don't we see any of those pilots (except Gold Leader) again? Heck, even when the X-wings are taking off, we only see guys with plain white helmets with blue Rebel insignias, but we never see those guys again, as everyone in the actual battle has fancy helmet designs. Of course supposedly there were initially 30 ships, and really we only see like 15 faces, but still, why so little connection between the hangar and the battle?

26. Okay, we're talking about a massive space station, right? That likely means it stations a lot of ships there, right? Leia caught on pretty quick when she noticed they only sent four TIEs after the Falcon that their escape was too easy. But you'd think that once the Battle of Yavin commenced, especially after they realized the dangerous potential of the Rebels' attack, they'd have sent more fighters to take out the X- and Y-wings, just to be sure.

27. Why does Red Leader look like he's laughing as he crashes into the Death Star surface?

28. Why did Red 10 fly with his eyes shut when he said, "There's too much interference"? Did he have a migraine? Was he trying to use the Force and got poor reception with lots of Force static?

29. "This one's locked, move onto the next." So if you're searching for someone, and you find a locked door, that usually seems like a pretty good candidate as the location of your prey.

30. If Vader sensed a presence since he'd not felt since...don't you think he'd probably investigate further or at least wait around to see if Kenobi is on the ship? I'd be anxious for the results of the scan myself.

31. I know we already all know this one, but come on, "Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise" in their shooting, yet Luke, Han, and Chewie always manage to outdo them, even when the baddies already have their guns pointed at them.

32. Now I may sound like Father Skywalker, but seriously, was there any moral dilemma in the minds of the Rebels when blowing up the Death Star? They could have probably evacuated their sparsely populated moon before the Death Star got there and regrouped. But instead, they chose to kill probably hundreds of thousands if not millions who were on board that station, many of whom were probably decent people.

33. Did Luke even care about his uncle and aunt? Sure, he looked bummed when they died, but he handled it pretty well and seemed to get over it quickly, never mentioning it again. He seemed far more distraught at the loss of Kenobi, whom he had only really gotten to know in the previous few days at most.

34. Back to the TIE vs. X- and Y-wing battles, if I were Vader, I think I'd actually come at the Rebels from above, not behind. That way they could still be under fire from the turbolasers, plus I could keep striking at them.

35. Why was it so imperative to "stay on target" during the earliest trench runs? Obviously when time is running short you just gotta take out your target, but why didn't Gold Leader and Gold Five just leave the trench when they saw their comrade die and noticed Vader? Sure, they lose a few minutes, but then they can handle the more pressing situation of being attacked by TIEs, and when that's been cleared up a bit, then they can traverse the trenches and launch their torpedoes unmolested.

36. Leia seemed to handle the loss of her family and everyone she probably knew growing up surprisingly well. She looks frightened when Alderaan blows up, but we never see her cry or in shock, and even later she tells one of the Rebel commanders, "We have no time for sorrows," regarding the event. Does she ever need therapy? How did she handle this so well?

I'm sure I could come up with more, and some of those are really trivial, but at least we see that no movie is above criticism.