Author
darth_ender
Parent topic
The Armchair Movie Critic thread
Link to post in topic
https://originaltrilogy.com/post/id/587409/action/topic#587409
Date created
27-Jul-2012, 1:51 PM

Alright, I'll go ahead and do The Dark Knight, and I'll do it here because I don't want to cloud of the TDKR thread anymore.  TDK has incredibly high ratings from critics, so let's dissect its problems, some of which bug me more than Batman Begins.

1. Why would the bank hostages not simply rotate the grenade in their hands so they could hold the spoon and the grenade with a single hand?  This would give them a bit more flexibility...especially if they wanted to throw the grenade at any one of the robbers or at the bus as it departed!

2. Okay, reassembling shattered bullets by computer to visualize the fingerprint that would only end up on the shell...that's realistic.

3. What motive did any of Joker's thugs have to be loyal to him?  Sure, maybe a few crazies, sure maybe a few under threat of death, but the latter certainly don't form a loyal corp.  And especially why on earth did the Chechen's men turn on him?  What did Joker have to offer them?  He just burned all his money!

4. So Batman rescues Rachel from a 500 foot death...meanwhile, the Joker continues to interrogate and murder Bruce's guests while seeking Harvey as Batman never makes his way back up to the penthouse.  If nothing else, you'd think he'd at least say something like, "Well, better get back up there."

5. Flipping a semi...that was fun to see but...c'mon, really?

6. Converting every ordinary cell phone with their basic and limited microphones into sonars...I don't think so.  Maybe the first two if they were physically modified, but simply altering the software of every preexisting cell phone in Gotham...not gonna happen.

7. Batman crushes the scarecrows van without injuring himself at all. Or while holding Rachel he falls from several stories high without using his cape to glide and lands on the hood of a car (thankfully not on the top, as the vehicle was occupied, and not on the asphalt which was surely even harder), and doesn't get injured then either.

8. How could Harvey be so stupid as to believe that the Joker has no plans, that he's just a dog chasing cars?  He clearly has very elaborate plans, and those plans indeed led his his disfigurement and Rachel's death.

9. How could Harvey then leave Joker's fate to the determination of a coin?

10. How could the Joker smuggle explosives in so many places without ever being noticed?  For instance, it would take weeks to load up a hospital with so many bombs, and the odds of not one being discovered during that time is simply unbelievable.

11. After years of devotion and love, Rachel throws her feelings for Bruce out the window because Harvey, not Bruce, chose to mislead the public.

12. How did Wayne Tower change shape so much, even lowering where the sign was posted, all in the brief interval between the films?

13. Everyone in the police station gets blown up by the cellphone-in-the-stomach bomb....except the Joker and (the guy he held the glass to, as we see later).

14. Who were the six friends that Joker killed?  It seems that every cop that died by the Joker's hand did not die by knife, at least not as we see on film, in spite of Joker's bragging.

15. Gordon said six dead, two of them cops...let's count: Maroni, his chauffer, and his door-getter, plus Wuertz and Harvey.  That's five, including one cop.  I thought Ramirez lived to fight another day.

16. The convoy stops for nothing.  Of course, that means they can't be smart enough to take a safer road when clearly a burning firetruck was intended to divert them to the lower roads.

17. Batman won't kill anyone, but that doesn't stop him from shooting parked cars from such a distance that he doesn't know if they are occupied.  Thankfully he stopped before getting to the car with the kiddos.

18. Ric Olie must have been Gordon's co-driver in the armored truck.  "Is that a bazooka?...Okay, that's not good....Lower fifth? We'll be sitting ducks."  Thanks, Captain Obvious.

19. It sure would have been smart if Batman took a radio into that building at the end...he could have radioed to the police that the clowns were really the hostages and saved a lot of work and injuries...including a real death of one of the stuntmen during the filming of that scene!

20. Joker clearly wanted chaos, but to this day I'm still confused by his motives.  He gets the mob to hire him for massive amounts of money and captures and burns Lao on top of his pile of cash for...what?  He changes his mind on what to do with Batman, whether he should reveal himself or remain hidden or just be killed.  For a man who simply wants to see the world burn, even the means to that end seem to be shifting and uncertain.

21. While Joker's little anecdotes of his scars are fun, his lectures about being ahead of the curve or about schemers are kinda long and boring and seem out of character to me.

22. Ledger's acting was fun the first few times, but I have to be honest, after multiple viewings, I'm just not that impressed anymore.

Call me a heretic.  I still love the movie, but it has flaws.  Oh well.  Not going to let that ruin my experience ;)